Vengsarkar and Co feel the heat; backlash continues

DesiChap

New Delhi: Rahul Dravid's forced sabbatical from the Indian cricket team may be short-lived. The former India captain may in fact be back as early as the third One-Dayer. Sources have told CNN-IBN that BCCI President Sharad Pawar isn't too happy about how Vengsarkar is handling senior players. More than 72 hours have passed since the axe fell on Rahul Dravid but the controversy refuses to die down. Sources are now telling CNN-IBN that board president Sharad Pawar has had a word with chairman of selectors Dilip Vengsarkar and asked him to clarify his policy with regard to senior players. And board officials are doing their best to douse the fire. "Selection committee has the prerogative to pick and drop any player. So they have done that. And the chairman of the selection committee Dilip Vengsarkar has himself said that Rahul Dravid is a great batsman and he will stage a comeback soon. So I don't think you should make any issue out of it," said Rajiv Shukla. It has been well documented that chairman of selectors Dilip Vengsarkar was the driving force behind Dravid's exclusion. Relations between the two are said to have been strained for a while now; especially after Dravid's sudden decision to quit as India captain. Some see a more sinister conspiracy. “The problems began when Vengsarkar went to England. You did not send a media manager; you did not send a coach but as soon as you send the selection committee's chairman the problems began. There was a communication break there and from there things have been going downhill. The worrying aspect as far as Indian cricket is concerned is there is too much of west zone in Indian cricket,†said Vedam Jaishankar, journalist and Dravid’s biographer The big question now of course is what next for Dravid? Eerily enough Sourav Ganguly was also axed from the team within weeks of being relieved as captain and the similarity isn't lost on former India cricketers. Former player Ajay Jadeja said "A year ago Sourav Ganguly was in the same place. That time it was said we are looking to give opportunities but six months later you had to go back to Sourav Ganguly. And if that is the case then you will go back to Rahul Dravid. So it seems to me, you are not going forward, you are going round and round in circles." Dravid will now turn out for Karnataka in their season opening Ranji trophy match against Mumbai; starting on the 3rd of November as always, letting his bat to do all the talking With bureau inputs http://www.cricketnext.com/news/vengsarkar-and-co-feel-the-heat-backlash-continues/27684-13.html

Former player Ajay Jadeja said "A year ago Sourav Ganguly was in the same place. That time it was said we are looking to give opportunities but six months later you had to go back to Sourav Ganguly. And if that is the case then you will go back to Rahul Dravid. So it seems to me, you are not going forward, you are going round and round in circles."
Ajay Jadeja comes across as quite knowledgable and more importantly a very pleasant commentator. Carries his trademark smile and is not averse to being firm when needed. Here is a player who would have made an excellent captain. No suprise that even during the time Pakistan regularly kicked India he was quite feared and appreciated by them. As for Dravid and the seniors - Same $hit different day. xx

How could anyone play Dravid in the team for the Pak series , after actually having dropped in the 5th odi against Aus ? That clearly shows the team management thinks Dravid doesnt deserve a place in the odi team, and understandably so. He has been quite bad form off late.

People are objecting to the way he has been treated sriram. Vengsarkar has been going out of his way to humiliate him.He wasn't even informed about his dropping inspite of a few selectors suggesting it. This chief selector was never even half the player Dravid is...and he has been abusing his position.

Ajay Jadeja comes across as quite knowledgable and more importantly a very pleasant commentator. Carries his trademark smile and is not averse to being firm when needed. Here is a player who would have made an excellent captain. No suprise that even during the time Pakistan regularly kicked India he was quite feared and appreciated by them. As for Dravid and the seniors - Same different day. xx
isn't Jadeja a traitor like Azhar?
isn't Jadeja a traitor like Azhar?
I will leave that to the everyday armchair experts who seem to know everything about match fixxing. I personally dont and I so I am only gonna comment on Jadeja the player. Yes Jadeja the player was fantastic for India and even his worst Indian critics go all gaga when they watch his video of "Waqar is being slaughtered here". Personally I love the way he way approached the game, tough but with a smile.
I will leave that to the everyday armchair experts who seem to know everything about match fixxing. I personally dont and I so I am only gonna comment on Jadeja the player. Yes Jadeja the player was fantastic for India and even his worst Indian critics go all gaga when they watch his video of "Waqar is being slaughtered here". Personally I love the way he way approached the game, tough but with a smile.
According to the CBI report, Azharuddin admits to his links with mafia don Abu Salem, a host of Indian cricketers: Ajay Sharma, Ajay Jadeja, Nayan Mongia and links with bookies like the famous Mukesh Gupta whom he introduced to the former South African captain Hansie Cronje. All these cricketers were later banned.
According to the CBI report' date=' Azharuddin admits to his links with mafia don Abu Salem, a host of Indian cricketers: Ajay Sharma, Ajay Jadeja, Nayan Mongia and links with bookies like the famous Mukesh Gupta whom he introduced to the former South African captain Hansie Cronje. All these cricketers were later banned.[/quote'] Fair enough. The only players I am concerned with are Azhar, Jadeja and Cronje. I dont want to start another dead and buried issue but if an Azhar can score@45 and if Cronje wins a whopping 85% of the games he led in (99 out of 117) AFTER they take money I can only imagine what their stats would be otherwise. Even Jadeja averages a very healthy(for the time) 37.5.
Fair enough. The only players I am concerned with are Azhar' date=' Jadeja and Cronje. I dont want to start another dead and buried issue but if an Azhar can score@45 and if Cronje wins a whopping 85% of the games he led in (99 out of 117) AFTER they take money I can only imagine what their stats would be otherwise. Even Jadeja averages a very healthy(for the time) 37.5.
Lurker, bookies always target players who can win a match. These are players who have played consistently as you mentioned with high avg but failed to stay on the course when it comes to honesty and integrity. Whatever contributions they have made looks smaller in light of this failed practice of professional ethics. You can say a good character gone bad!
I have never seen him play...but from whatI have heard and read...he is known to be a good but selfish player.
Coming to the present, I dont mind if RD is rested for 2 matches. But RD should have been played in Challenger Series, and the vengeful nature of DBV (Dumb Boy Vengeful-circus) is what is getting the cold and silent protests.
Ajay Jadeja comes across as quite knowledgable and more importantly a very pleasant commentator. Carries his trademark smile and is not averse to being firm when needed. Here is a player who would have made an excellent captain. No suprise that even during the time Pakistan regularly kicked India he was quite feared and appreciated by them. As for Dravid and the seniors - Same different day. xx
Good call there! I had the exact same impression about Jadeja. He is the greatest captain we never had. Kinda like Warney in Australia. I am disappointed that he sold his country for some cheap money, denying us a prolific ODI middle order bat. Imagine Jadeja in place of Kaif in the last 5 years & how many tournaments we would have won ?
Good call there! I had the exact same impression about Jadeja. He is the greatest captain we never had. Kinda like Warney in Australia.
I would agree to that. People hype Ravi Shastri as the greatest captain we never had, and he surely was a good candidate, but Ravi was hardly ever as vitag a cog to Indian team as Jadeja was. Specially in LOI cricket Jadeja was a much better player and in my opinion could have made for a brilliant captain.
I am disappointed that he sold his country for some cheap money, denying us a prolific ODI middle order bat. Imagine Jadeja in place of Kaif in the last 5 years & how many tournaments we would have won ?
Oh please dont compare Kaif with Jadeja :sad_smile: The minimum Jadeja averaged against a quality opposition is 28(South Africa, Pakistan), else his average is above that mark with 48 against Australia, 50 plus against England, 43 against NZ and so on. Compare this with Kaif who averages 11 against Australia. Seriously, what a cr@ppy player has Kaif been for India! xxx