Do you support hunting?

head coach

No. For food.....animals for food can be produced for human consumption. Animals in the wild should not be touched. Recreation......Only a seriously sick bastard thinks killing is recreation. People who think it is fun to kill (cowards )using unfair means should be served as food to the animals.

There was a couple of interesting "Letters to the editor" responses in our univ paper for an article on a hunter. Here is one , against hunting. "n response to your article "A hunter's heaven" (10/17/07), I was perplexed by some of the excuses for shooting innocent creatures in their natural habitats. "There are four species of mountain sheep in North America, and I have been able to collect all four. I love mountain sheep because they are some of the prettiest animals." Well, no offense, but do you always shoot things you find to be beautiful? Certainly seems to be an odd way of showing affection. The fact of the matter is that while hunting may have been a part of human survival 100,000 years ago, in today's society there is simply no excuse for it. The vast majority of hunters do not need to shoot animals for food, which is why this formally common bloodsport has seen a drastic downturn in recent years. Less than 5 percent of the U.S. population hunts, for reasons ranging from environmental destruction to concern for the obvious cruelty to animals (many animals suffer prolonged, painful deaths when they are injured but not killed by hunters). In the 21st century, we have evolved to the level where we can comfortably live without killing animals unnecessarily. If hunters seek to enjoy the outdoors and spend time with friends and family, I would recommend hiking, camping, or one of the other wonderful activities that do not involve causing unnecessary pain and suffering. For more information on how to make compassionate choices for animals, visit peta2.com to request free stickers and a DVD." And here is a response of a hunter , to that letter , justifying hunting. "In response to recent attacks made on hunters in Monday's Statesman, I felt it was my duty as a proud participator in the so-called "blood sport" to explain how it is possible for a hunter to love what he or she kills. The love a hunter has for his prey is not the fuzzy bunny love that some people have for their pet dog. The love we experience for wildlife is more along the lines of a deep respect that can only be experienced through personally taking the life of your food. Growing up, my father taught me an important principle. Every day, Americans walk into their local grocery store and pick up a box of Lucky Charms, a 6-pack of Pepsi and a package of chicken breasts, giving no more heed to the life of the animal in the package than to the Pepsi. In contrast, a hunter with good ethics cleanly dispatches an animal with a well-placed shot, guts it, packs it out of the woods and butchers it all before it ever gets to their mouth. Sitting down to a dinner of healthy wild game which you have worked hard for shows respect and even love for that animal that gave its life. When a lot of people think of environment and nature, they take humans out of the equation and say everything not human is natural and wild. Whether you like it or not, humans have been on top of Earth's food chain for the past 130,000 years. During that time, animals have evolved with humans as their top predators. If you were to stop the hunting of animals by humans, the populations would go out of control and eventually fall to lower numbers than they are today, due to many proven ecological factors. The truth of the matter is that a person who buys a hunting license does more for the preservation of that animal than a person who joins PETA and protests against hunters. The money raised from trophy hunting tags in Africa is the only thing that keeps a lot of those parks and wildlife preserves running. As a hunter and future wildlife biologist, I hope you will better understand the love and respect a hunter can have for animal that he or she harvests."

No. For food.....animals for food can be produced for human consumption. Animals in the wild should not be touched. Recreation......Only a seriously sick bastard thinks killing is recreation. People who think it is fun to kill (cowards )using unfair means should be served as food to the animals.
It's the same deal. Just because you kill an animal for eating does not make it a better act. You are just applying selective morality because it suits you :D Your logic would make sense if there was no vegetarian alternative.

I am a vegetarian gai...:D But I have to keep hubby happy na.....:tounge_smile: I do agree killing animals for any purpose is bad...but then it is not so white and black. I do believe people should have the choice within reason to choose what they eat.I believe wild animals should be left alone (including marine ) I also support testing on animals for life saving medical reseach....with strict rules .I do believe humans specially the very young should be considered as important and animals (in the eyes of the animal right grps) I support removing stray dog packs from residential areas as humanely as possible .1 or 2 sterelised dogs in in residential areas are ok. They scavenge and keep people in touch with dogs. But the moment the numbers increase ...they need to be shifted .Little children are too precious to be made preys to these packs.

If we are to apply rules or Dharm , then we wouldnt be able to do 95% of many activities that we take for granted. I say lets just get on with it. People should be allowed to what they want as long they dont start endangering an entire species of animals. There are many things we do to harm the lives of many animals , without even realizing it. Hunting ,as a recreation sport ,should be allowed as long as it doesnt harm that species' sustainability.

Hunting for food or as a sport or as recreation. Do you support this act or have you done this anytime in your life? Is it right to kill innocent animals for fun or for food?
Food I have no problems with. If you beleive in evolution I don't see a way how you can show me that the earliest man/woman were not meat eaters. One aspect of getting "civilized" was to grow crops. In other words man turned towards plants later than it started to devour meat. Killing for fun? I frankly dont care. There are 6 billion people in this world, how many hunt? Say 50 million. Thats like less than 1%, so yeah I dont read much into Hunting really. xxxx

Anyone sick enough to enjoy killing anything should not be roaming free.....
Hunting animals has got nothing to do with how compassionate or non-compassionate a person is , wrt life. Some of the finest thinkers of our times have also been avid hunters.

Hunting animals has got nothing to do with how compassionate or non-compassionate a person is ' date=' wrt life. Some of the finest thinkers of our times have also been avid hunters.[/quote'] Those times were different. They probably had different views on issues like slavery ,racism. and equal rights for women etc. There is no excuse for hunting animals for pleasure in this age and time.

Those times were different. They probably had different views on issues like slavery ,racism. and equal rights for women etc. There is no excuse for hunting animals for pleasure in this age and time.
You are confusing the wrong set of ideals/emotions Beets. If a person is an avid hunter , it does NOT mean he is a cruel person.Hunting gives him the kick , the adrenalin rush and he does it purely out of pleasure/fun. That has got nothing to do with the actual person he is. Its like the guy who does daredevil stunts in the circus for a living. Thats his profession. In real life , he may actually be VERY risk averse guy. As i said, if a person goes and hunts an animal that is on the endangered list , that is not ok. Otherwise , i dont see any issues with it.

let the person go to a shooting range and shoot or shoot dummies. How can a person who enjoys killing be a good person Sriram. He may be a good son,father ,husband (or daughter ,wife ,mother) but definetely not a good person. Can't compare it to daredevil stunts dear. There,you are dealing with your life. I agree one should be allowed to do whatever with their own life. But hunting involves another life. If you do it because you have to eat...that is one thing. But to kill because it gives you the kick is totally non acceptable. It is comparable to a daredevil driving fast on a crowded road,unmimdful of what happens to others.It is acceptable to drive fast if your life depends on it (taking someone to the hospital ,or running away from a potential killer). This may be comparable to killing for food. But driving fast for thrill and hurting others is like killing for fun.

If we were to use your logic of " Those persons who kill are bad" then dont you realize that almost all of us are culpable of that offence, only that is at different levels. And when you say - " If a person can shoot dummies , why should he kill ?", i can say - " If a person can eat vegetarian food , why should he eat meat ?". What will your answer be for that ? I am not saying hunting is good or it is bad. All i am saying is - Dont pass judgments on the character of a person based on whether he is a hunter or not. That is not a accurate barometer.