A thousand lies to cover up one

That's an old Indian saying for which the Indian chief selector, Vengsarkar, is giving a live demonstration. It is painful to see it happening when the Indian team is doing reasonably well. It is really disappointing to see the on field performances of players being surrounded by shams in selections. Let's backtrack a bit. Rahul Dravid, a batsman whose game was not suited to ODIs, transformed himself into one of the best middle to late over ODI players in the world. This fact was reflected through his averages, ODI rankings, the number of runs scored, and above all the acknowledgement of this amongst his peers, press, and experts. Since taking over captaincy from Ganguly during the '04-'05 home series against Pakistan, Dravid averaged more than 30 in 16 out of the 19 ODI series and tournaments he played, most of them as captain of the side. Out of the three failures, two were against Australia, a side which can at times make even the best look mediocre. On 6 of these occasions, Dravid averaged more than 45. All clear indications of a pivotal middle order batsman. After resigning from captaincy over differences with Vengsarkar for too much interference in team selection and strategy, Dravid immediately had a horrific series against Australia. The chief selector decided it was the appropriate time to "rest" Dravid. He went on to inform the world that,

"Fitness and fielding have become very important in the one-day game so he will have to show it playing for his state [Karnataka].
Nothing wrong with the above statement in isolation but it strikes one as illogical given that during the series against Australia, Dravid did not drop any catches and his fielding standards, though never very high, did not seem to drop all of a sudden. Moreover, how was a 4 day domestic match going to help Dravid regain fitness and fielding. If anything the top notch physiotherapists and trainers which accompany the Indian team were better suited to help him do that, than the Karnataka support staff. Vengsarkar added further,
At this stage Yuvraj Singh, MS Dhoni, Gautam Gambhir are the middle-order batsmen, and waiting in the wings are Manoj Tiwari, Suresh Raina, Rohit Sharma. So we have a lot of options.
So does this put Dravid behind all these other options? Why was none of these options chosen as his replacement then? Why was an essentially opening and aggressive batsman, Sehwag, chosen for Dravid's middle order role as an innings builder? Is Sehwag's fitness and fielding any better than Dravid's? What happened to Badrinath, who one must presume was an option too because he was in the previous squad? What performances of Sehwag led to Badrinath's ouster from the team? Too many questions and no answers. If Dravid had failed against Mumbai, things would have been easier. Now that he has succeeded in a spectacular fashion, the waters will get really murky and more lies will be told to the players and people to cover up earlier ones one way or the other. If Dravid is brought in for the remainder of the series, it would essentially mean people who were ahead of him on fielding and fitness, have been usurped by a double century in a 4 day match. If he is not, there will be confusion about the importance Vengsarkar placed on giving proof of performance for Karnataka. Stay tuned for the latest announcement on Radio Jhootistan by Vengsarkar, because the truth is not an option for him any more.
Nah sachin and Ganguly should play. Cant phase out all 3 seniors at the same time. The process has started but give it some time.
This has got nothing to do with the "process" of phasing out the seniors. Most of us agree they should be rotated out of the ODI side over the coming year or two. It's about the lies and misrepresentations that our players, media, and public are being fed with. If the "process" has indeed started why haven't we heard of it from any official source of Indian cricket and why do the players have to put up with sham like "fielding and fitness" and "playing for his state"?
This has got nothing to do with the "process" of phasing out the seniors. Most of us agree they should be rotated out of the ODI side over the coming year or two. It's about the lies and misrepresentations that our players' date=' media, and public are being fed with. If the "process" has indeed started why haven't we heard of it from any official source of Indian cricket and why do the players have to put up with sham like "fielding and fitness" and "playing for his state"?[/quote'] Well its all dirty politics and maybe the fear of an outrage like when it happened during Ganguly's case.Even when Dravid is rested JUST FOR 2 ODIS, we have karnataka CM writing to Pawar to get back the famous son of karnataka back in team.I think its the fear of this outrage that has made selectors not say exactly as how it is.Also, I am sure that in the process to get there , the selectors had been or might be unfair but its expected that you can't please everyone. I AM SURE , DRAVID WILL BE A FORCE TO RECKON WITH IN TESTS and for his own good, he shouldnt be playing in odis and giving the young guns a chance. 2 seniors OUR BEST ODI bats for the longest time are enough.
Well its all dirty politics and maybe the fear of an outrage like when it happened during Ganguly's case.Even when Dravid is rested JUST FOR 2 ODIS' date= we have karnataka CM writing to Pawar to get back the famous son of karnataka back in team.I think its the fear of this outrage that has made selectors not say exactly as how it is.Also, I am sure that in the process to get there , the selectors had been or might be unfair but its expected that you can't please everyone.
There is central rule in Karnataka and the assembly is dissolved. So, no CM. Do some google before you write. You don't what you are talking about.
I AM SURE , DRAVID WILL BE A FORCE TO RECKON WITH IN TESTS and for his own good, he shouldnt be playing in odis and giving the young guns a chance. 2 seniors OUR BEST ODI bats for the longest time are enough.
Why limit to 2? Is that a magic number? Right now Ganguly is worse than Dravid in fitness and fielding. He is a lemon on the field and is dropping lollies. He is stronger candidate for "resting" than the most consistent MO bat in recent history.
Well its all dirty politics and maybe the fear of an outrage like when it happened during Ganguly's case.Even when Dravid is rested JUST FOR 2 ODIS' date= we have karnataka CM writing to Pawar to get back the famous son of karnataka back in team.I think its the fear of this outrage that has made selectors not say exactly as how it is.Also, I am sure that in the process to get there , the selectors had been or might be unfair but its expected that you can't please everyone.
There is central rule in Karnataka and the assembly is dissolved. So, no CM. Do some google before you write. You don't what you are talking about. Why limit to 2? Is that a magic number? Right now Ganguly is worse than Dravid in fitness and fielding. He is a lemon on the field and is dropping lollies. He is stronger candidate for "resting" than the most consistent MO bat in recent history.
Sorry, I thoughT I read CM but it was MP. MP writes to Pawar on Dravid BANGALORE: Rajeev Chandrashekar, an MP from Karnataka has written to Sharad Pawar, Union Agriculture Minister and President of the BCCI on the issue of dropping Rahul Dravid for the first two ODI matches against Pakistan. In his note, Mr. Chandrashekar has stated “number of questions have arisen from this action of the selection committee…Rahul Dravid is a cricketer who we are all proud of and should be, because of the values of professionalism, dedication and performance that he had exemplified in recent years both as individual member of the team and as captain. If there is any attempt to by anyone in the cricketing establishment to cause harm to him on grounds other than professionalism, then that’s clearly unacceptable to me, people of Karnataka and cricket fans all over India.†Mr. Chandrashekar further, urged Mr. Pawar to look into the issue and establish “correct†fact and ensure that “this proud son of Karnataka is not treated in any other way, but with respect that he deserves.†— Special Correspondent ------------------------ And I wanna restrict to 2 because you cant just kick 3 seniors at a same time. You dont wanna end up like windies or pak. One at a time is the way to go and Ganguly even though not at the greatest strike rate is still giving us starts.. He is betetr option than sehwag at the moment and Gambhir is playing awesome and for Tendulkar, I dont need to say anything. However, Ganguly should not last long.After aus series, he should be phased out in odis unless he improves drastically with his strike rate and Tendulkar is playing very good for him to be dropped.
If Dravid had failed against Mumbai, things would have been easier. Now that he has succeeded in a spectacular fashion, the waters will get really murky and more lies will be told to the players and people to cover up earlier ones one way or the other. If Dravid is brought in for the remainder of the series, it would essentially mean people who were ahead of him on fielding and fitness, have been usurped by a double century in a 4 day match. If he is not, there will be confusion about the importance Vengsarkar placed on giving proof of performance for Karnataka. Stay tuned for the latest announcement on Radio Jhootistan by Vengsarkar, because the truth is not an option for him any more.
How I wish, Dravid wouldn't have relinquished the captaincy of tests at least. Now I fear for the Indian team. Who'll be the captain? Dhoni, who'll be visiting Australia for the first time? That might finish him as a cricketer. Kumble's leadership wasn't good or positive in the Ranji match finished yesterday. VVS doesn't appear to be in good form. Then?
How I wish, Dravid wouldn't have relinquished the captaincy of tests at least. Now I fear for the Indian team. Who'll be the captain? Dhoni, who'll be visiting Australia for the first time? That might finish him as a cricketer. Kumble's leadership wasn't good or positive in the Ranji match finished yesterday. VVS doesn't appear to be in good form. Then?
chandan, vvs played some good knocks in England (county) in last few months, right?