Congratulate Anil Kumble Thread

head coach

Since his debut in international cricket in April 25, 1990, he has taken over 560 Test wickets and 330 ODI wickets. Although often criticized as not a big turner of the ball], Kumble is the second highest wicket taker among leg spinners in Test cricket behind leg spinner Shane Warne of Australia and the third of all bowlers after Warne and off spinner Muttiah Muralitharan of Sri Lanka. He is one of only two bowlers in the history of cricket to have taken all 10 wickets in a test innings, the other being Jim Laker of England.Kumble is currently ranked the 7th best bowler in Tests by the International Cricket Council. He was awarded Padma Shri by Government of India in 2005. 150px-Anil_Kumble.jpg CONGRATS KUMBLE on becoming India's Test Captain! :two_thumbs_up:

Guest HariSampath

I want to be the first , I predicted yesterday itself that he will be the choice, and in fact messaged Anil too, a few hours before he spoke to cricinfo... and I am still trying his phone, its jammed all the time . CONGRATS Anil, way to go :haha::yay:

Guest HariSampath

Got him and Congratulated him :yay:, he is dropping tired from sleep and a million calls and I said I will call him back in the morning , ICF..maybe we should schedule a chat with Anil for ICF online ? any suggestions ?

Anil Kumble is without doubt India's greatest spinner of all time - not only in terms of wickets but also by being a member of the winning team on more occasions than any other bowler in the history of Indian cricket. Be it Test matches or ODIs, Anil has always been a match-winner. If in Test matches he is a no-nonsense wicket-taking bowler, in ODIs, he can attack and contain at will. Quiet, precise, ruthless - Anil goes about his business of demolishing the opposition with clinical efficiency, based on the simple principles of line and length, and the desire to make the batsman play every ball. Trained as a mechanical engineer, Anil discovered early the virtues of precision and accuracy, which he has put to telling effect on the field. Luckily for India, he opted to pursue a career in cricket with equal zest. A strong will and strong Ranji Trophy performances for Karnataka made him force his way into the Indian team. When he was 19, Anil made his debut on 9th August, 1990 against England. Two years later he took his first five-wicket haul (6-53) against South Africa at Johannesburg, to announce his arrival on the world stage. In 1993-94, he bowled a magical ODI spell (6-12) to crush the West Indies in the final of the Hero Cup in Calcutta. Never termed a classical leg-spinner (primarily because he is not a huge turner of the ball) in the real sense of the word, Anil has proved in his 15 long years in international cricket, that his style was equally effective. With a clever mix of top-spinners, googlies, leg-breaks, flight and a variation of pace, he has outwitted many a batsman. Facing a vary tall spinner, hurling deliveries at short of medium-pace, with every ball on target, can be a very daunting task. As his record suggests, he has won many leg-before-wickets AKsimple.jpgby fooling many batsmen into playing across the line. The mid-nineties saw the emergence of Anil Kumble as a mature strike bowler. With state team-mates Javagal Srinath and Venkatesh Prasad sharing the country's new ball, India finally had variation in its bowling department - pace, swing and spin, and much-needed support for him in the absence of Kapil Dev. But even though he was a proven match-winner, he needed that one performance which would take him to cricketing immortality. It didn't take him long as on an eventful afternoon at the Ferozshah Kotla, in early February of 1999, he single-handedly spun out the entire Pakistan team in the second innings to become only the second bowler in Test match history to capture all 10 wickets in an innings. Around this period, another prodigious spin-bowling talent emerged in the form of Harbhajan Singh. Funnily, it was Anil who spotted him. Today, they form the most lethal spin combination in the world; and the mighty Australians can vouch for that. Since 2000-01, they have toyed, teased and tormented the Aussies with fantastic results. To do so with such remarkable consistency against the best team in the world speaks volumes. Mts Balls Runs Wkts Best Avg Eco 5w/I 10w/M ct Tests 118 36702 16262 566 10 for 74 28.73 2.66 33 8 53 ODIs 271 14496 10412 337 6 for 12 30.89 4.31 2 0 85tribute1.jpg(www.kumble.com)

Got him and Congratulated him :yay:' date=' he is dropping tired from sleep and a million calls and I said I will call him back in the morning , ICF..maybe we should schedule a chat with Anil for ICF online ? any suggestions ?[/quote'] Absolutely! If you can arrange that Hari. Or we can do a little interview thingy with him if that works, no questions that shall affect his reponsibilities one way or the other shall be asked of course.

I agree with Kablooee. While AK truly deserves the honor, the "sacrificial lamb" motivation makes it not too great. Infact AK knows this, and could have refused, but I guess he took on another challenge. Thats what he does, takes on challenges. Hari Sampath, If you can arrange a ICF chat session that will be cool. However, I wonder if he is going to have time, with Test match series fast approaching.

He is the consensus candidate, the only one who is acceptable to all of the stake-holders, namely the team-members, the board officials and the public. I am sure there would be some rumblings within the BCCI over Dhoni's rocketing image and popularity.

Guest HariSampath
Absolutely! If you can arrange that Hari. Or we can do a little interview thingy with him if that works, no questions that shall affect his reponsibilities one way or the other shall be asked of course.
I just spoke again to Anil, fortunately as he was home for lunch, I could speak in some detail. He is very happy naturally at being made captain. When I asked him if it were not better that he should have been appointed for the next 2-3 series , he said it doesn't worry him as he anyway takes it one series at a time, and this way it is in a sense better incentive for him to lead India to a home win. He said that we are very much the favourites , and says "all three" when I ask him which grounds he fancies India's test chances against Pakistan :-), but added on a serious note that he would be looking carefully at the first Test at Delhi, and also India had done well against Pakistan there. I reminded him how I had missed seeing the 99 Delhi test when he got a perfect 10 as I was flying to Sfisco , and as usual he underplayed his own remarkable bowling ( Anil is not simply modest publicly, he is seriously so even while conversing privately, Thats what I like about him). I also told him that he should seriously consider promoting himself in the batting order without feeling reticent about his own batting or the fact he is now skipper and shouldn't hesitate because of that. He is perfectly okay with it, and very confident of himself as a test allrounder. He did agree with me that in some circumstances it may give India the additional bowling option, and he said he wouldn't hesitate to go in with 3 spinners too , or an additional seamer. I asked him specifically about talking to Indian fans on ICF, and in principle he agreed :dance: He said that BCCI has not yet communicated officially to him about his program for the next couple of days and he doesn't know when he may have to travel and participate in selection/team discussions for the tests, but told me that he will certainly participate in some form with ICF before the test series, and had asked me to email him details and he will let me know in a couple of days time. So here we go folks !! I have already got Anil's initial comments for ICF, and also a prospective chance of chatting with him soon on ICF :two_thumbs_up: