Fielding is embarrassing

King

ravi' date=' why you gotta complain all the time man? we won, enjoy the game, enjoy indian pride. Sure there's things to work on, but how about seeing a post appreciating our players?[/quote'] This post was made 5 overs into the Pakistani innings, when India obviously hadn't won, and we were all quite frustrated with the initial fielding effort shown by the players, and given what had happened in the previous match, I'd say the concern was quite valid.
ravi' date=' why you gotta complain all the time man? we won, enjoy the game, enjoy indian pride. Sure there's things to work on, but how about seeing a post appreciating our players?[/quote'] Indian pride != blind spot to any/all failings in the side. The fielding was downright atrocious at points for both sides. And fielding that bad does make the game a lot less enjoyable. It's always enjoyable to watch athletic, energetic fielders like Hamish Marshall, Jonty Rhodes or Andrew Symonds - on the other hand, seeing Ganguly panting after a ball or Sehwag spilling what could have been a regulation catch for any player able to jump a few inches off the ground is painful and irritating. A fair comment by Ravi, regardless of when it was made.
The fielding was downright atrocious at points for both sides. And fielding that bad does make the game a lot less enjoyable. It's always enjoyable to watch athletic, energetic fielders like Hamish Marshall, Jonty Rhodes or Andrew Symonds - on the other hand, seeing Ganguly panting after a ball or Sehwag spilling what could have been a regulation catch for any player able to jump a few inches off the ground is painful and irritating. A fair comment by Ravi, regardless of when it was made.
So true. Its funny to see Bruce Yardley commentate on the match because , being an Aussie, he really couldnt believe some of the spills. Some of the spills were regulation chances according to him that HAD to be taken. Its understandable if Ganguly cant come up with a superb dive to prevent a boundary , but at the least he should take all the catches ( he had earlier dropped a skier in the series before) and stop balls that are hit directly at him. If you cant even do that, its a shame.

Yup. I've had the privilege of watching New Zealand play one day cricket live a couple of times, and a large reason why it's been so entertaining has been the ridiculously high fielding standards that they have always set. Remember Hamish Marshall and Lou Vincent positioned once at long on and long off in the slog overs against a few batsmen who kept trying to hit straight, and it was quite spectacular to see the way they kept diving and flying about (not to mention a direct hit I witnessed from Nathan Astle at the third man boundary in Christchurch). Very high standards, and perhaps a bit to ask for - but still, panting and puffing behind the ball or swan diving over everything hit in one's direction is just pathetic to see.

This post was made 5 overs into the Pakistani innings' date=' when India obviously hadn't won, and we were all quite frustrated with the initial fielding effort shown by the players, and given what had happened in the previous match, I'd say the concern was quite valid.[/quote'] ok yaar, i'll take that and apologize. But I haven't seen a positive post from him about our team's two wins against PAK....to each his own i guess.
Indian pride != blind spot to any/all failings in the side. The fielding was downright atrocious at points for both sides. And fielding that bad does make the game a lot less enjoyable. It's always enjoyable to watch athletic, energetic fielders like Hamish Marshall, Jonty Rhodes or Andrew Symonds - on the other hand, seeing Ganguly panting after a ball or Sehwag spilling what could have been a regulation catch for any player able to jump a few inches off the ground is painful and irritating. A fair comment by Ravi, regardless of when it was made.
Salil, of course it's fair man. Our fielding has been pretty atrocious, barring the game in Mohali. But does it not hurt to say a couple of nice things once in a while? I'm just raising a different opinion here, hope anyone doesn't mind.
Salil' date=' of course it's fair man. Our fielding has been pretty atrocious, barring the game in Mohali. But does it not hurt to say a couple of nice things once in a while? I'm just raising a different opinion here, hope anyone doesn't mind.[/quote'] arey shezadaad bhai.. ravi is not insulting anyone by saying that Indian team lacks quality.. he is just raising a valid point that it need fixes.... nothing else thats what cricket discussion is for.. to discuss.. and thats why this thread is here to discuss about it....

The ground fielding yesterday was probably the worst display I have ever seen from an Indian team(and that takes some doing!). The most comical was lazy Yuvi trying to stop a ball using his feet. We are also dropping a ridiculous number of catches these days. Thank god the test team is a much better catching unit.

Why are newer players like RP Singh such poor fielders? I can understand the "old school" being poor fielders, but newer crop coming in should be a lot better. Unfortunately they are not. I think even in Challenger series not all the younger crop were fielding well. THAT IS VERY VERY VERY DISAPPOINTING. Fielding is what shows commitment really. And, it is lacking.

It's easy to sit your fat ass on a chair and b*tch about lack of commitment and other such crap. That kind of rubbish isn't even worth replying to. The fact is that Indian grounds are difficult surfaces to field on because of their hardness. From a very young age kids become fearful of diving around because they are afraid to break their limbs. Grounds in Australia and England by contrast, are grassier and far more conducive to diving. Just look at the differences in the grounds - it's evident even on TV. Compare the dirt track at Guwahati with that of the Rose Bowl in Southampton - which ground looks better ? Besides, kids in other countries play a variety of sports so diving around comes naturally to them and they tend to be far more athletic as a result. Indian curators should focus on improving the quality of the grounds, and only then will you see improvement in the players' fielding.

You may be willing to accept those excuses, Predz. But, sorry, that wont cut it. There are good fielders we have seen in the Indian side - Raina, Kaif, Yuvraj Singh, Uthappa, Rohit Sharma, even Piyush Chawla I think... older times: Azhar, Kapil Dev... Even if we excuse the older players (SG, RD...) for your reasons given in post #55, then we cannot excuse the younger crop. Obviously things have improved today, and the younger ones with more commitment are matching the good fielders of NZ, Aus... But there are some new players like RP Singh et.al. who are still a big problem. When a Kaif can do so great, I expect a RP Singh to atleast do 40-50% of him, and not play like how Gavaskar would field in the outfield.

Indian & Pakistani cricketers' poor fielding can be attributed as much to their attitude as to the poor training conditions. Most of them grow up, thinking if they can bat or bowl well thats good enough. Guys like Shoaib Akhtar or Romesh Powar will never make good fielders even if they grew up in Australia. These days young kids grow up playing and watching a lot of pro cricket. Most city cricketers have access to good facilities and coaches early in their career. Yet we slouches like Nehra, Powar, Zaheer & the likes very often. These guys are simply not wired right! Unless our youngsters realise early in their career, fielding will be blocking their career path they wont change.

You may be willing to accept those excuses, Predz. But, sorry, that wont cut it. There are good fielders we have seen in the Indian side - Raina, Kaif, Yuvraj Singh, Uthappa, Rohit Sharma, even Piyush Chawla I think... older times: Azhar, Kapil Dev... Even if we excuse the older players (SG, RD...) for your reasons given in post #55, then we cannot excuse the younger crop. Obviously things have improved today, and the younger ones with more commitment are matching the good fielders of NZ, Aus... But there are some new players like RP Singh et.al. who are still a big problem. When a Kaif can do so great, I expect a RP Singh to atleast do 40-50% of him, and not play like how Gavaskar would field in the outfield.
What excuses ? Why don't you get off your high horse, walk down to your local park and throw yourself around on the grass. Then get up, dust yourself off, and do the same thing - this time on concrete. Then tell me how you feel The # of truly world class all-round fielders India produced since the 90's could be counted on one hand - that is how RARE they are. Your bullsh*t about "commitment" holds no credibility with me.