Bring back Chopra

bharat297

Tell you the truth, players who are technically sound are my first choice in Test matches. So AC would be my choice over KKD. Jaffy and AC would be ideal. But then you have to go by their current form as well. But again thats my personal thing. That is the primary reason why I like RD.
Jaffer and AC ? The score will be like 45/1 at lunch. I would rather have KKD and Sehwag. The score would 112/2, which is much better.
This is a Test match. While runs scored fast is attractive, guarantee of runs is more important. Slow run rate is ok. Need is not for flashy openers.
Check your comp, the date is 14th Nov 2007 , not 14th Nov 1990. Attacking batsmanship is the order of the day and it was one of the main reasons why we did so well in the last series against Aus. Sehwag was out for 195 nearly 1 hour before close of play on day 1.
It is more important to see off the new ball, because if Australia dont get any wickets with the new ball, and we are about 20 or 30 overs into the match ... even if we are 0/50 or something. I would much rather us be 0/60 at lunch than be 3/120.
Its so important to do this. We have to get to lunch without ANY loss of wicket. #1 priority in Australia.
LOL! Nice try. Sehwag of today will be gone for 8 runs off 13 balls. What next? There is no Gordon Greenidge in India. I'd rather have 80 off 180 balls...than have a 8 from 13 balls. But I want a consistent display in Test after Test in Aus.
Only , Sehwag WASNT gone for 8 off 13 balls the last time he played there. The Aussies will maul you if you play defensively ,if you havent realized that yet. No risk , no reward. You will follow a conservative approach to your own peril.
It is more important to see off the new ball, because if Australia dont get any wickets with the new ball, and we are about 20 or 30 overs into the match ... even if we are 0/50 or something. I would much rather us be 0/60 at lunch than be 3/120.
Its so important to do this. We have to get to lunch without ANY loss of wicket. #1 priority in Australia.
The only problem is , being 60/0 at lunch is a nothing sort of thing. Lose one wicket and see the entire inning lose momentum and the on-coming batsman facing tremendous pressure. If anyone here thinks we can block our way to victory against the Aussies, they are badly mistaken. Attacking batting is the only way to beating them in their own game.

^^ My take, if we go without loss of wickets to lunch on day-1, we can blunt the aussie attack. Without McGrath and Warney, they will start losing focus after this. Talk about "attacking batting" is all good, but you need fantastic players to pull it off. If are a team which can do that, then sure go ahead...dont think we are there. 2 bit, 5 bit, outta form guys cannot do it - they will only get out.

The only problem is , being 60/0 at lunch is a nothing sort of thing. Lose one wicket and see the entire inning lose momentum and the on-coming batsman facing tremendous pressure. If anyone here thinks we can block our way to victory against the Aussies, they are badly mistaken. Attacking batting is the only way to beating them in their own game.
Its all well and good to be aggressive as openers, but the only team to have consistently done it well is Australia. Sehwag used to be able to get away with it, and i honestly hope he can pull out something special over the next month because he was extremely good at the top. However at the end of the day you need a stable technique to be able to do well in Australia. It is important to put the bad balls away, however I the Aussies dont give you many bad balls, and if they dry up the runs you need openers who are willing to be patient and see off the rough patches.
Australian pitches will really test your technique ' date=' especially with the likes of Lee, Clark, Tait and Johnson. We need someone there who can see off the new ball consistently and get us off to good starts. People with poor techniques get found out very quickly in Australia, particularly openers.[/quote'] Okay Bharat, two questions for you: 1. Where do you think Karthik's technique's is poor, ie, what flaws have you detected? 2. Do you think a batsman with flawed technique can succeed on seaming tracks in conditions aiding swing bowling?
2. Do you think a batsman with flawed technique can succeed on seaming tracks in conditions aiding swing bowling?
with all due respect.. sehwag is not the best of technical batsman.. still managed to play some awesome knockz during 03-04 tour... 195 @ mcg was a knock which deserved a test win.... so basically what i wanted to make sure is that batting is not just about technique.. it's also about playerz like sehwag..
Guest HariSampath
You guys still havent realized what a fighter Karthik is. Nobody gave him a chance in the english tour and he ended up being the top scorer. And less than 24 hours after being dropped from the one-day team ' date=' he comes up with a brilliant century in the challenger trophy final. I am confident he will deliver against Pakistan too and that is what the selectors also seem to think, since they have included neither sehwag/Gambhir[/quote'] Gambhir is a better fighter than karthick.... ask Afridi :D
Okay Bharat, two questions for you: 1. Where do you think Karthik's technique's is poor, ie, what flaws have you detected? 2. Do you think a batsman with flawed technique can succeed on seaming tracks in conditions aiding swing bowling?
The answer to both those questions lies in an earlier statement made by me
Yea of course ... KKD and Jaffer deserve to be the first choice opening pair but I think Chopra needs to go on tour as well to provide a backup in case one of them fails.
This was never about dropping KKD or Jaffer ... this was more about the fact that we need a back-up opener in the squad to tour Australia, and rather than Sehwag or Gambhir it should be the experienced and technically very solid Chopra