Bring back Chopra

bharat297

In the wake of the announcement of the Test team, it appears that the Indian selection have thrown all their eggs into one basket with this Karthik/Jaffer combination. Don't get me wrong, the pair are doing very well and definately deserve to be picked as the first choice opener. However I am worried about the lack of a back up opener. Past performance would lead you to suggest Sehwag as the opener, and while he will definately take the attack to the Aussies, unless he can turn around his form, he is not of any use at the top. Gautum Gambhir is also in the frame, however his technical weaknesses are a concern and one wonders whether he will be able to handle Brett Lee, and Mitchell Johnson at home. So for me, the next opener in contention is Aakash Chopra. I think this guy should have been given a bit more time. He was forced to make room for Yuvraj, who was not an opener, but despite what his stats show he was extremely important to our impressive tour of Australia in 2003/04. He has just about a perfect technique and an excellent temperment and work ethic. He is in form in the Indian domestic scene, recently scoring a double-ton. In Australia it is imperative to get through the new ball, and get through guys like Tait, Lee, Johnson and Clark, because if we can build consistent opening stands in Australia, it will be very difficult (without Warne or McGrath) to run through our middle order. I say Bring back Aakash Chopra into the Test squad as the reserve opener.

Bring back Kapil Dev In the wake of the announcement of the Test team, it appears that the Indian selection have thrown all their eggs into one basket with this zaheer/sreesanth/RP combination. Don't get me wrong, these bowlers are doing very well and definately deserve to be picked as the first choice bowlers. However I am worried about the lack of a back up bowlers. Past performance would lead you to suggest Prasad as the opening Bowler, and while he will definately attack Pakis with 119kmph bowling, unless he can turn around his form, he is not of any use at the top. So for me, the real bowler is Kapil Dev. With ICL not taking off I think this guy is looking for a job and should be given a bit more time.

You guys still havent realized what a fighter Karthik is. Nobody gave him a chance in the english tour and he ended up being the top scorer. And less than 24 hours after being dropped from the one-day team , he comes up with a brilliant century in the challenger trophy final. I am confident he will deliver against Pakistan too and that is what the selectors also seem to think, since they have included neither sehwag/Gambhir

You guys still havent realized what a fighter Karthik is. Nobody gave him a chance in the english tour and he ended up being the top scorer. And less than 24 hours after being dropped from the one-day team ' date=' he comes up with a brilliant century in the challenger trophy final. I am confident he will deliver against Pakistan too and that is what the selectors also seem to think, since they have included neither sehwag/Gambhir[/quote'] Big (big, big, big) mistake if we dont have a fantastic opener for Aus series. High probability that KKD will score in single digits in Aus Tests
Eng is Eng' date=' and Aus is Aus. KKD gonna get a taste of what it is to tour Aus.[/quote'] You "think" he is going to fail , or do you "want" him to fail ? There is a massive difference between the two. Please provide explanations for either of the options you may choose.
You "think" he is going to fail , or do you "want" him to fail ? There is a massive difference between the two. Please provide explanations for either of the options you may choose.
Wonder why that doubt occurred to you! To clarify: I will always want the Ind team to win (that implies if all 11 play well, it gives us max chances to win, and if KKD is in 11, then I want him to do well). However, I feel KKD opening against Aus in Aus pitches is a recipe for disaster in Test matches. So, I "think" he will fail as opener. I dont think he will survive against the pace and guile of Aus bowlers, they are more potent and CONSISTENT than English bowlers.
Wonder why that doubt occurred to you! To clarify: I will always want the Ind team to win (that implies if all 11 play well, it gives us max chances to win, and if KKD is in 11, then I want him to do well). However, I feel KKD opening against Aus in Aus pitches is a recipe for disaster in Test matches. So, I "think" he will fail as opener. I dont think he will survive against the pace and guile of Aus bowlers, they are more potent and CONSISTENT than English bowlers.
Ahh.. you see thats where you are going wrong. You are grossly under-estimating Karthik's talent/technique/temperament/tenacity.
They aren't flashy or dashers like Veeru.
thats 100% rrite man...camon a player avging 91 and u dont pick him its just too much....shewag only failing in one days....he is avging 50+ in test so y they dropped and brought that jaffer guy who is always score 0 in first match and the 100 to stay in the team...
Ahh.. you see thats where you are going wrong. You are grossly under-estimating Karthik's talent/technique/temperament/tenacity.
I dont doubt his tenacity. Talent is fine perhaps. I doubt his technique - his batting (not wicketkeeping) I doubt his temperament to a lesser extent, but I still have my doubts on that. Technique is the big worry factor.
They aren't flashy or dashers like Veeru.
I dont even want anything close to "flashy dasher" for Aus. I want a rock solid opener with a patient temparament and sound, sound technique. Need good foot movement, should know where the offstump is even if woken in the middle of sleep........ I just dont think in Aus conditions, KKD can satisfy that role.

Jaffer may not be the most rock solid, but he can build big scores and has a solid back foot game. He'll do well in Aus. Karthik - unproven re. building the big scores. He can make prety 50s and 60s and the odd 80 or 90 from time to time, but that's it. Back foot game? I'm skeptic right now. I hope he proves me wrong. If not, he's going to suffer down under. And so will the team.

see just to be frank Jaffer is very very much better then karthik.. Jaffer lookz a rock solid technical player.. his shots i mean the way he plays..seriouzly a perfect test player.... he scored 200 in windies.. in saf also he scored century.. in england he performe dwell again.. he would do well perhapz in aus too.. infact he has what it takes to perform in aus.. he has ability to play out the day... just want him to be consistent.. Veeru-Jaffer combo would have been great btw..

Jaffer's almost rock solid. But his game falls apart at times against a ball swinging late. Hence my paranoia about the England tour. With Australia, there won't be that threat of someone like Hoggard, Anderson or Sidebottom curling the ball in or away late. The ball will swing a bit early on, Bung will offer up bits of good bowling and dross, and after half an hour the ball will cease to swing. Then Jaffer can really cash in. I'd put money on a 45+ average for the series at the very least.