D day for Jayalalitha

gattaca

so what does this mean for the bjp in tamil nadu? While nobody is expecting a win, can the BJP led rainbow alliance come second in the assembly elections?
Amma getting convicted does not mean that her popularity is going to decline. In fact, just like Jagan she will turn this around and portray herself as a victim. BJP is still largely perceived as a Hindi "anti-Tamil" party. BJP will also need some tall local leader to arise from their ranks who will be willing to take on both Jaya and Karuna.
you have to think long term. Who knows some outfits might even merge into the bjp
No, that is unlikely to happen. These small outfits are known to change alliances at the drop of a hat.

Quite honestly, I am more interested in that fine imposed. Do you think she can fight that off. If she can pay that 100 Cr. I am all good. This is what we need to do, you swindle money you pay that money back with interest.
If she pays 100crs whole host of it cases will be filled against her. Also would mean her accepting the guilty verdict. That would be the end of her political career. She will just appeal in high Court

If she pays 100crs whole host of it cases will be filled against her. Also would mean her accepting the guilty verdict. That would be the end of her political career. She will just appeal in high Court
She will find hundreds of supporters willing to chip in to pay that fine for her. Small change.

The conviction means Jayalalithaa must immediately resign as Chief Minister and as Member of the Legislative Assembly. She will appeal her conviction, no doubt, and perhaps even get a stay on her sentence. But so long as the courts do not stay the conviction itself - as was the case with the former BJP MP Navjot Singh Sidhu and former Gujarat minister Maya Kodnani - Jayalalithaa will be disqualified from holding any elected office for a period of at least 10 years i.e. for the course of her four year prison term and an additional period of six years.

The conviction means Jayalalithaa must immediately resign as Chief Minister and as Member of the Legislative Assembly. She will appeal her conviction' date= no doubt, and perhaps even get a stay on her sentence. But so long as the courts do not stay the conviction itself - as was the case with the former BJP MP Navjot Singh Sidhu and former Gujarat minister Maya Kodnani - Jayalalithaa will be disqualified from holding any elected office for a period of at least 10 years i.e. for the course of her four year prison term and an additional period of six years.
Even if she is disqualified from holding any office within the government and barred from contesting elections, do you really think that she is going to just go away? She has already installed a puppet as her CM, who will only serve as a rubber stamp for decisions that she makes. This conviction only means she spends a few nights in a jail before she gets bail.