Day 1 Post Mortem

Gambit

Overall a very good day for India. If someone would have offered Kumble a situation where Pak would be 210/8 after Day 1, Kumble would have gleefully taken it. The Misbah-Sami has taken the sheen off a good bowling effort but we didn't let them score at 3.5/4 an over and didn't let them break free. The early morning Delhi mist and dew will take care of Sami and Kaneria. To state the obvious, we need to bat once and bat big. Need atleast 350 to decidedly get the upper hand.

Overall a very good day for India. If someone would have offered Kumble a situation where Pak would be 210/8 after Day 1, Kumble would have gleefully taken it. The Misbah-Sami has taken the sheen off a good bowling effort but we didn't let them score at 3.5/4 an over and didn't let them break free. The early morning Delhi mist and dew will take care of Sami and Kaneria. To state the obvious, we need to bat once and bat big. Need atleast 350 to decidedly get the upper hand.
They (Misbah-Sami) were a bit lucky too. Bhajji dropped a catch of Misbah in the second last over and they survived many a leg-before appeals too. But overall the umpiring was good. They were not pressurised by huge appeals and generally gave the right decision every time they accepted or rejected an appeal. Tail has always troubled India and let us hope that they wrap the inning early tomorrow!

One criticism of Kumble was employing the tactic that proves to be the unsuccessful for most captains. I'm talking about setting ultra defensive fields for the set batsman(Misbah in this case) and letting him take easy singles in the hope of bowling more at the tailender and getting wickets from the other end.

tad sorry about 3rd session, but overall a good day for India when India had them at 142/8. Come to think of it, they scored 68 runs in 31 overs. That hardly matters because, if they had gone on to play like regular 9-11 bats, they would have still scored a quick 50-60 runs, which would have taken them to close to 200. But now they are still 210. If India gets the 2 wkts with the help of condition, we can still hope to get them by 225, which is about 25 runs more than they would have scored anyway. Session 3 68 runs 0 wkts oly belonged 0.6 to Pak and 0.4 to India.

Actually the tails wagging in this match is good for india.. it works in India's favor this time.. Paksitan tail will bat on a morning pitch..and by the time we come to bat the pitch wud have eased out and we can score freely.. theres no morning pitch demons for us. we shud aim to bat only once and pileup 600 runs with a lead of 350 + and make the pak batsmen sufffer on 4th n 5th day pitch... lets see how tomorrow pans out..

keeping my fingers crossed.. we let them off the hook again...reminds me of calcutta test match 99 when they were 35/6 and ended up scoring 165 and winning the test match and once again karachi 2006 when they were 0/3 in the very first over but ultimately thrashed us...hoping this goes our way

I doubt that it is that easy too score 500 on this pitch but 400 is definitely a possibility. I hate to underestimate Aktar, Tanvir and Kaneria. Even so a lead in access of 150 is giving you a test match. Anything less that than we will ask for trouble if we have to score more than 100 in the last innings. All in all good day for india. Get them in 5-10 overs tomorrow and start scoring. It is definitely good that they play first 10 overs tomorrow. Later, it will be lot easy for us. Also Kumble's defensive approach was visible at times as someone rightly pointed out.