Day 3 Post Mortem

Gambit

As with every single day in this test, no team has been able to decidedly seal the test in their favour. Pak did well to break a decent VVS-AK p'ship and then blitzed through the tail. As I said yesterday, batting with the tail is VVS' batting's weakest aspect and that was showcased today. Anyhow, can't fault him too much as only him and Dhoni performed. Pak looked to have the test wrapped him with a good opening stand before captain Kumble once again provided one breakthrough after another assisted by a couple of wickets by Bhajji. Pak were in trouble when they had only a 118 run lead with 5 batsmen left but the constant pendulum swinging was again on display when Misbah and Akmal combined to put on 50. We should have had Misbah on 1 but Jaffer messed things up. :mad: Whoever wins the first session tomorrow should go on to win the test. If India can restrict Pak's lead to less than 210, they should feel confident. Anymore will be a steep ask. IMO as things stand, it's 60-40 in Pak's favour.

I missed seeing the dropped catch. Was it easy? I agree with the above one. Game is titled towards Pak. As it stands, they can add another 100 runs, India is doomed. Chasing 250 in I4 is never easy. I am disappointed with I2 bowling. I think AK and HS want to give an indication that only spin can take wickets here. They have only one spinner in DK. But we should not have been chasing this many runs. At 142 for 8 in I1, 161 for 5 in I2...India gave the driving seat on their own to Pak. Hopefully there will be a recoird chase in Delhi....Like the match Delhi against Saurashtra...Sau made 254/9 in I4 and drew the match... I Pujara can hit a 100 in I4, one of the big4 can do too...

misbah's dropped catch was turning point in the game otherwise pakistan could have bowled out for 225 and we would have been chasing 180 odd runs..looks like we will be chasing a lot more than that and oue so called big 3 "legends have come a cropper when it comes to chasing on wearing 4th innings wicket...the last time they did that was in adelaide thanks to dravid but then they wer eat theor peak of their powers but not anymore..The pendulum has swung irrevocably towards pakistan:sad_smile:..in hindsight the partnership between sami and misbah changes the tide of this test match

Disappointing day overall with the exception of Kumble's work with the ball. Our batting could've easily piled on more runs if Laxman didn't suck so bad with the tail. Why doesn't he go for big hits once we lose 8 wickets? Dude was taking a single early in the over and exposing our batsmen. He should be moved up a spot in the batting order. Munaf was awful after a strong effort in the 1st innings. He was bowling a 4 ball pretty much every over and in general was just too short. HS picked up a couple of wickets but both due to very ordinary shots from the batsman. For the most part he didn't trouble anyone and didn't look like he was gonna take wickets. There are hardly any demons on this pitch but India will have a hard time chasing any score Pakistan puts up from now on due to our complete inability to chase. This is Pakistan's game to lose as long as Misbah and Akmal put on a decent little partnership tomorrow morning.

History says India can't win. India have never chased more than 190 at this venue. However, history also says that India have never lost to Pakistan at Kotla. So what's it going to be? Indian fans have absolutely no confidence in their team chasing down 4th innings targets against Pakistan, and if we are honest, versus just about anybody. Remember the scars of Sunny's Bangalore, Sachin's Chennai, and the other instance when Sachin was run out against the arch rivals, at Calcutta, soon after? If you want to look beyond Pakistan, think of the 100 run collapse against England at Mumbai. The last three occasions we have overhauled targets above 100 were against England at Mohali (144), South Africa at Kolkata (120) and Australia at Adelaide (234). One man figured in all three chases and saw us through to the end- Rahul Dravid. And who was the man who assisted him on two of those three occasions? Yup, that notoriously poor second innings performer, Virender Sehwag. Sehwag's gone, Dravid is in steep decline, his confidence stripped away like rotting wallpaper because of his recent frailty against the moving ball. Can you really see anybody else carry India home? People will point to our top order collapse in the first innings as the trigger that turned this match, but don't ignore the bowling. Zaheer Khan is half the bowler on Indian pitches, Munaf Patel is a misfit at any level of cricket, and Harbhajan continues to pull the wool over selectors' eyes through his press interviews. Kumble is shouldering the bowling attack like a giant, but cricket is not a one man game. The bad news is that this is India's best chance to win a game in this series. Kumble was always going to fire here- Delhi is his happy hunting ground. With RP Singh and Sreesanth out, the Indian attack is looking desperate at Kolkata. I fully expect the two Ys to catch up with their career average there. An attack of Bhajji-Kumble- Zaheer(at home)-Munaf is probably the worst among all major sides. When South Africa won recently in Pakistan, Paul Harris did play a big role, but was backed ably by Nel-Steyn-Ntini. We simply don't have that kind of quality in our bowling, with the two youngsters out injured. Unfortunately, Bangalore is our bogey ground. We have lost to various teams there, and Pakistan, in particular love the place, having won two out of two. Things might be evened up by Sreesanth and RP's return, but then Pakistan may have Gul and Asif back as well. It's looking bad for India. A 2-0 or 3-0 is not out of the question, unthinkable though that may be. Remember, this against a side that was just beaten in its backyard by South Africa. Doesn't say much for our international standing, does it? How foolish do those speculative threads about our prospects in Australia look now? There, I hope that's cheered you all up. (If you did need some cheering up, it's this: Shoaib's ancient body and fragile psyche are already showing signs of wear and tear. Supremely skillful though he may be, he can't be assed to soldier along through the grind of Test cricket, and I wouldn't be surprised if he reports sick for Kolkata, or breaks down halfway through. The other positive for India is Shoaib Malik's poor form. A side cannot escape the miasma of it's captain's misery, and Malik would be gutted with his own form in this series. But can India take advantage?)

Disappointing day overall with the exception of Kumble's work with the ball. Our batting could've easily piled on more runs if Laxman didn't suck so bad with the tail. Why doesn't he go for big hits once we lose 8 wickets? Dude was taking a single early in the over and exposing our batsmen. He should be moved up a spot in the batting order. Munaf was awful after a strong effort in the 1st innings. He was bowling a 4 ball pretty much every over and in general was just too short. HS picked up a couple of wickets but both due to very ordinary shots from the batsman. For the most part he didn't trouble anyone and didn't look like he was gonna take wickets. There are hardly any demons on this pitch but India will have a hard time chasing any score Pakistan puts up from now on due to our complete inability to chase. This is Pakistan's game to lose as long as Misbah and Akmal put on a decent little partnership tomorrow morning.
Excellent. Agree with all three points. Already touched on Munaf's mediocrity. Second your thoughts on Laxman. Of the 48 runs scored this morning, he contributed 15. Is that acceptable from a settled batsman? Unfortunately, he was more worried about his own place in the team and determined to remain not out, even if it meant eschewing any sort of risks. Admittedly, Pakistan had patrolled the boundaries when he was batting, but he did not show any sort of intent, even after Kumble was dismissed. On such self seeking attitudes have mausoleums of India's failures been built.

I expect India to be chasing in the vicinity of 240-270 unless there is a superb bowling or batting performance from either side. The good news is that most of the chase will be on the 4th day instead of the 5th given the speed at which wickets have fallen and the considerable haze over the first 2 days has ensured that the track has not broken up like a typical Kotla pitch on the 4th day. The bad news has of course been pointed out by many posters - who will make those runs?

Already touched on Munaf's mediocrity. Second your thoughts on Laxman. Of the 48 runs scored this morning, he contributed 15. Is that acceptable from a settled batsman? Unfortunately, he was more worried about his own place in the team and determined to remain not out, even if it meant eschewing any sort of risks. Admittedly, Pakistan had patrolled the boundaries when he was batting, but he did not show any sort of intent, even after Kumble was dismissed.
Please don't blame Laxman for the brainless cricket played by Harbhajan, Zaheer, and Munaf. Farming the strike is a concept fit for losers or for a team with no hope of winning a test and trying to draw it. This is international test cricket and Harbhajan and Zaheer are no mugs with the bat, though they made sure they appeared like one today.
Please don't blame Laxman for the brainless cricket played by Harbhajan' date=' Zaheer, and Munaf. Farming the strike is a concept fit for losers or for a team with no hope of winning a test and trying to draw it. This is international test cricket and Harbhajan and Zaheer are no mugs with the bat, though they made sure they appeared like one today.[/quote'] Moot point. Doesn't justify taking singles of the first delivery of every over, and exposing number 9 or 10, and if they are dismissed, no.11, to the next 5 deliveries though. What's to be gained there? A single run for himself, for the team? That single could always have been scored in the back end of the over, and if he were intrepid enough, he could have gone over the field as Pakistan called the men into the ring for the last two deliveries. Selfish cricket at worst, thoughtless at best.
Moot point. Doesn't justify taking singles of the first delivery of every over, and exposing number 9 or 10, and if they are dismissed, no.11, to the next 5 deliveries though. What's to be gained there? A single run for himself, for the team? That single could always have been scored in the back end of the over, and if he were intrepid enough, he could have gone over the field as Pakistan called the men into the ring for the last two deliveries. Selfish cricket at worst, thoughtless at best.
Steve Waugh played this brand of selfish and thoughtless cricket and managed to transform sloggers like Lee and Warne into genuine lower order batsmen, made Gillespie into one of the best stonewallers the game has ever seen and even instilled a sense of discipline into a genuine bunny with the bat like McGrath. Problem was not with Laxman's approach but with our tail who could not show any stomach for a fight like Kumble did. Laxman did not shield Kumble either but with proper discipline was able to stitch together a 50 run partnership. Given their ability with the bat, Zaheer and Harbhajan would have been expected to contribute at least 25 run partnerships each with Laxman.

I agree with the comment below (From cricinfo blogs) ----------------------------------------------------------- Much as I am admirer of VVS, I can't help but feel that the insecurities of having to prove himself time and over again, have gotten the better of him and as a result he has begun to play selfishly. I know this is blasphemous to most VVS fans, but that is the hard truth. Bangalore 2005 vs Pakistan - he played for a not-out and didn't shield the tail. He did again in India's last trip to South Africa in the last test. Did it again in England this year. And has now done it again. I know he is unfortunate to be playing at 6 - he should be batting up the order - but playing selfishly to push up your average ("I had an average of 51 in the series of England". Yes you did, VVS, aided with a Not Out Fifty and with the most unmemorable VVS-like innings) is not endearing him to any of the neutrals. I hope he plays more bravely the next time he finds himself with the tail like he did in Kolkata 2001 vs the Aussies where he hit a barrage of boundaries. I hope he comes good. ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Lesson for India. Misbah ul Haq's three dismissals against South Africa were to Ntini, Steyn and Nel for 43, 23 & 23. Loves medium pacers and spinners. A feast awaits him in this series. Another obseravation- On Cricinfo, Vaidyanathan is bemoaning lost chances, while Osman Saimuddin is talking about the glimmer of light at the end of a gloomy series against SA. Apparently Misbah is now the torchbearer of Pakistan's hopes, the new "Ul-Haq".(Osman obviously hasn't looked at his dismissals against South Africa, or taken the mediocrity of India's bowling into account). Perfectly sums up the relative states of the two teams in this match and the Indian and Pakistani cricket fans' psyche. One, ever the optimist, snatching hope in a season of despair, the other terrified of losing ground, seeing the shadow of doom in a situation most neutrals would describe as even. Can't blame him. Indian supporters have more unpleasant deja-vus than a patient of temporal lobe epilepsy.

Steve Waugh played this brand of selfish and thoughtless cricket and managed to transform sloggers like Lee and Warne into genuine lower order batsmen' date=' made Gillespie into one of the best stonewallers the game has ever seen and even instilled a sense of discipline into a genuine bunny with the bat like McGrath. Problem was not with Laxman's approach but with our tail who could not show any stomach for a fight like Kumble did. Laxman did not shield Kumble either but with proper discipline was able to stitch together a 50 run partnership. Given their ability with the bat, [b']Zaheer and Harbhajan would have been expected to contribute at least 25 run partnerships each with Laxman.
No, I would rather expect a set batsmen to score runs than the tailenders.You cant expect every tailender to score..All tailenders dont come to party in one innings. Kumble socred...The probability was that others won't..What tailenders score is bonus. Laxman should have gone for quick runs and shielded the tail until he saw them striking the ball good or they themselves wanted to take charge.