Kaththi

Mariyam

So I'm basing my view on what I've read on this thread. The subject seems alluring. Or at least different and with a valid social message. But the trailer is quite ordinary. Overly stylized dialogue delivery, gravity/ physics defying fight sequences etc. I think I'll watch the movie when time permits and write a review. :dance: Maybe the trailer does disservice to the actual movie. PS: All these comments about racism are so out of place. Calling an overweight actor overweight is not racism. Temujin- BMI = Body Mass Index, not age.

So I'm basing my view on what I've read on this thread. The subject seems alluring. Or at least different and with a valid social message. But the trailer is quite ordinary. Overly stylized dialogue delivery, gravity/ physics defying fight sequences etc. I think I'll watch the movie when time permits and write a review. :dance: Maybe the trailer does disservice to the actual movie. PS: All these comments about racism are so out of place. Calling an overweight actor overweight is not racism. Temujin- BMI = Body Mass Index, not age.
What is vijays BMI...?

I was in Delhi for a while. Bought a book to learn Hindi. Tamilians struggle to learn Hindi because most of them got zero exposure to the language thanks to the political parties. You have twp major parties in your state. If both parties oppose a language how can they learn. They created this unscientific myth of learning one new language will kill your main language. Other states in the south have proved it conclusively wrong. I blame politicians for this not people. I understand Hindi a bit. But i can't watch without subtitles.
Very right. Politicians are to blame for a major part. And right abt the myth of main language dying.
Having said that.. new kids know neither Tamil nor Hindi. In schools they force your kids to talk in English. This is very true in Chennai. IT is upto parents to teach them Tamil.
That's a bit sad even if the bolded part was an exaggeration.

Thing is that Kaththi is the highest rated movie in any language this calendar year. That is what prompted me to ask this question. :confused: I thought that was Rajnikanth?
Mariyam. you are talking about Current Rajini. I agree with that.. AT the start of his career he did star in some excellent movies. Vijay is always terrible. But for his father his career would have been a non starter. About Kathti nobody takess time to rate a movie like Katthi unless they are Vijy fans. My cousin shared this imdb rating screenshot. He is a hardcore vijay fan. It catches on.. ALl viay fans go there and vote. Ratings are unreliable. I still can't accept him as an actor. Rajini on other hand had decent movies.

I think I've figured out what is going on here. All these Telugu films fans are jealous that their film industry couldn't come up with something as :cool: and highly rated as Kaththi and are trying to steal the Tamilians thunder by posting irrelevant stuff here. Then they go on to cite random government official-esque sounding names like Ramesh babu, Mahesh Babu etc :confused: as equals to a great actor like Vijay. I have figured out maniac's game here. maniac: tamil movies = Pakistanis in the West: india Many Pakistanis in the West claim to be Indian for better job prospects and/or social acceptance. People like maniac and his ilk simply misinform the gullible unaware non South Indian population by telling them that Kaththi and all other hit Tamil movies are actually Telugu films. I'm surprised the Kollywood fans are taking this lying down.

No need for translation people, just wait Salman will make it better in a years time Salman Khan, Govinda to work in Bollywood remake of Kaththi?

Ever since Kaththi director AR Murugadoss shared his picture with Salman Khan and Govinda in discussion with him, rumour mills have been working overtime to figure out if the three are working together on something big. Media reports now suggest that the duo, who have worked in Partner (2007) before, might be seen together in the Bollywood remake of the Tamil hit Kaththi, which features Vijay and Samantha Ruth Prabhu in lead roles. The original film set the ticket windows on fire, earning Rs. 100 crore within two weeks of its release Diwali October. The movie also marked Murugadoss's hatrick in the Rs. 100 cr-club (after Thuppaki and Holiday: A Soldier Is Never Off Duty), several filmmakers were vying for Telugu remake rights. Other Tamil films to have made it to the Rs. 100-crore club include Enthiran, Vishwaroopam and Thuppakki. However, Kaththi was the fastest to make it.

That's a bit sad even if the bolded part was an exaggeration.
Not eaggeration i have bumped into several Tamilians here in US who can't write Tamil. or don't speak Tamil well despite being brought up in CHennai. Some Tamilians who live in Bangalore speak only in English even at home. . I am tlaking about this culture 10 years back. I predict it would be even more now.

Mariyam. you are talking about Current Rajini. I agree with that.. AT the start of his career he did star in some excellent movies. Vijay is always terrible. But for his father his career would have been a non starter. About Kathti nobody takess time to rate a movie like Katthi unless they are Vijy fans. My cousin shared this imdb rating screenshot. He is a hardcore vijay fan. It catches on.. ALl viay fans go there and vote. Ratings are unreliable. I still can't accept him as an actor. Rajini on other hand had decent movies.
Among his old movies, I've seen Muthu. And that I really liked. Movies of that genre, he hasn't done many I'm guessing. I also liked the song iruvan iruvan from the same movie. Apart from that I've seen most of his recent stuff. Robot, Sivaji-the Boss and something in animated 3D, which I forget the name of. All of these were strictly ok (being kind here). Rajni didn't cut the grade in Bollywood (not that its any benchmark of success). Most of his movies have been very average. Also, what works, in terms of acting/presentation etc in Tamil Nadu, doesn't really work in Bollywood. And vice versa. A mannerism may be a massive hit down south, but may be viewed just as a personal quirk of the actor by the audiences here.

Vijay isn't as terrible an actor as u r projecting. He is decent.Movies like Thullatha Manamun Thullum Poove Unakkaga Kadulukku Mariyathai Kushi are very good ones. He is always an directors actor.With good directors he does good movies but with newcomers and unknown ones he does terrible ones like Kuruvi Aathi or villu . As for Kaththi most of sacial media has been buzz with it.Not just Vijay fans

Did you purposely ignore' date=' perhaps as an excuse to feel offended, the fact that I have mentioned a couple of times that I am against forcing anyone? The desire to learn, if it has to come, must come from within.[/quote'] not offended ...maybe a bit annoyed. yes I did take clear note of what you said I was giving a counter view specifically to the quote I highlighted. nothing more.

Among his old movies, I've seen Muthu. And that I really liked. Movies of that genre, he hasn't done many I'm guessing. I also liked the song iruvan iruvan from the same movie. Apart from that I've seen most of his recent stuff. Robot, Sivaji-the Boss and something in animated 3D, which I forget the name of. All of these were strictly ok (being kind here). Rajni didn't cut the grade in Bollywood (not that its any benchmark of success). Most of his movies have been very average. Also, what works, in terms of acting/presentation etc in Tamil Nadu, doesn't really work in Bollywood. And vice versa. A mannerism may be a massive hit down south, but may be viewed just as a personal quirk of the actor by the audiences here.
I am talking about his start. late 70s early 80s.. He did some dramas before becoming a full blown commercial actor.

Vijay isn't as terrible an actor as u r projecting. He is decent.Movies like Thullatha Manamun Thullum Poove Unakkaga Kadulukku Mariyathai Kushi are very good ones. He is always an directors actor.With good directors he does good movies but with newcomers and unknown ones he does terrible ones like Kuruvi Aathi or villu . As for Kaththi most of sacial media has been buzz with it.Not just Vijay fans
Seen enough of his movies to make a judgement about his acting. Don't like his delivery or facial expression. Simply a turn off for me. I know he has tons of fans.. few relatives of mine too. Since it is subjective i don't argue. I just don't like his acting. Nothing to do with being fan of Ajith or Sury.. Don't like them either. But they don't tick me off as much as this guy.

Its a commercial movie not a documentary .Of course there are far more issues affecting farming in the country not the least the exploitation by politicians .
you do not understand my assessment of murugadoss.let's leave it at that I am speaking from my experience having encountered a few of this types in real life. yes films are not fully fact based. you take some fact and dramatize certain things for effect. but a more intelligent director would not be as stupid a conspiracy theorist as this guy.that's my point real knowledge of the issue with some dramatization is ok with me. china may do things to contain india but they are not going to launch a biological warfare under the context portrayed in seventh sense.its to the point of absurd. there may be elements of reality.but blowing it up is propaganda or hyperbole.

Excellent movie.One of the best movies made in Tamil cinema in recent years Definitely worth watching The movie is about the agricultural issues faced by farmers and the water theft by MNCs in Agri lands.So the first half might be boring for some But 2nd half is slick action movie . Even if u don't watch the movie just check the coin fight in YouTube . One of the coolest fight sequence
Is this actually an issue in TN? In Maharashtra, its the government which gives free electricity to farmers over a large swathe of the Western part of the state. And the MNCs (and local manufacturers too) 'steal' the electricity from the farmers who are also obviously complicit. So is the government.

In more ways than one, South Indian films are filling in the intellectual vacuum in Bollywood...I mean Hrithik Roshan and Kohinoor diamond...WTF.... There was an increasing trend in Bollywood where men were becoming effeminate...just look at the Khans...they could not grow a manly symbol like moustache....gradually a bad trend was emerging in Bollywood where not only films were idiotic( which they were always) but even the names began to reflect them e.g 3 idiots ( everyone in south knows that the symbolism is the 3 khans ), " aawara paagal deewana", "deewane hue paagal", "yamla pagla deewana" and a host of other inane movies... In this historical context, the true warriors from South decided to show Bollywood the right path..that men should look like...well men...and it is a proud moment for Bollywood that they have been able to grasp the message and adjust accordingly... funny-salmankhan-fat-look.jpg became salman-khan-dabang-posters.jpgShahrukh-Khan-29.jpg became srk-peheli.jpgaamir-khan-1207141.jpg became 45430.jpg -------------------------------------- The Indian nation will forever be indebted to superstars like Vijay, Rajnikanth, Kamal Hassan, Chiranjeevi, Mahesh Babu, Vishnuvardhan for inspiring the manliness in Bollywood

[ The Indian nation will forever be indebted to superstars like Vijay, Rajnikanth, Kamal Hassan, Chiranjeevi, Mahesh Babu, Vishnuvardhan for inspiring the manliness in Bollywood
Vijay :hysterical: . Second of all.. going by your logic Liam Neeon, Tom Cruise are not manly enough. Also i hate this acting turning into a body building contest . Al pacino never had six packs. Neither did Jack NIcholson or Morgan Freeman. Our actors are overly obsessed with building six packs for each and every movie. Both South and North.