Kumble's Ploy of Giving the new ball to Gangs ..

Guest BossBhai

Not really. In hindsight, it looks like a masterstroke but i think it was just a lucky break for India. Misbah got out playing a horrendous shot which was not needed at all; literally gift-wrapping his wicket and handing it over to the opposition as an early Christmas present. Shoaib also perished in similar fashion, and i thought he would stick around longer because he can definitely hold up an end (remember the first innings @ Karachi). Yesterday just happened to be India's day and Ganguly could do no wrong.

Its one of those things that make captains look like geniuses when it comes off and nincompoops, when it flops. No one expected Gangs to strike twice. IMO, Akmal & Tanvir's departure set the tone for the day & it was just a matter of time before Misbah-Sami partnership would have been dislodged.

Not really. In hindsight' date=' it looks like a masterstroke but i think it was just a lucky break for India. Misbah got out playing a horrendous shot which was not needed at all; literally gift-wrapping his wicket and handing it over to the opposition as an early Christmas present. Shoaib also perished in similar fashion, and i thought he would stick around longer because he can definitely hold up an end (remember the first innings @ Karachi). Yesterday just happened to be India's day and Ganguly could do no wrong.[/quote'] yeh misbah played a stupid shot, but ganguly saw him coming down the track and bowled it shorter and closer to misbah, thus cramping him for room

Misbah's eff ups against us continue. Couldn't win the game for Pak after needing just 1 off 2 balls. Got run out off the last ball in the T20 league game. :hysterical: The mother of all eff ups came in the World Cup Final when he scooped a ball from boy genius Jogi(who supposedly bowled it a touch slower) when he could have won it with conventional strokes. :laugh: Hurdled his way to the dressing room when maiden century was there for the taking and could have taken Pak past 250 and beyond. :D

It was flash in the pan decision or maybe he wanted to see if ganguly's end assisted swing or not. But luckily Gangu picked up 2 and Kumble brought himself on, cuz he knew our fast bowlers are not capable of wiping the tail off

Yeah' date=' it was kind of wierd taking the new ball mid way during the over, but heck whatever works![/quote'] Not really, I've seen a lot of other captains (Fleming, Waugh, Cronje for starters) do it on occasion. Give their bowler a couple of balls with the old ball to just get some rhythm back if they're starting a new spell, so that way the new ball might not be wasted - then call for the new cherry. Ganguly FWIW was the most threatening of all our seamers on the first morning. Zaheer took two wickets, but when Ganguly came on at first change, he caused more problems to Pakistan's best batsmen than anyone else. Yousuf was all at sea vs. him, playing and missing and often getting hit on the pads before being out LBW right after lunch. Going by that, his controlled length/line (his first spell's figures were an outstanding 5-2-7-0, with a few balls that really deserved wickets) and the swing he kept getting were plenty of reason to trust him with the new ball in the second innings. Particularly ahead of Munaf, with 0/48 in 10 overs.