ICC Cricket World Cup 2015

StriKe

ICC Cricket World Cup 2015  

1. 1.

It brings Dhawal Kulkarni and Mohit Sharma into contention as they are part of the 17-man squad for the tri-series. Dhawal and Mohit will be part of our World Cup plans should any of the main bowlers get injured. That's the major thinking behind them being here. At the same time, we have to play with the 15-man squad who also are part of the World Cup," Dhoni said. "If we feel it's important we can give some extra time to a few individuals, then they will also be considered for selection. But as of now, we will look to pick from the first 15," he added. When asked about the much-debated inclusion of Stuart Binny in the World Cup squad, the skipper replied, "There are a few venues during the World Cup where it is important that we have a seaming all-rounder in the side. We are playing a couple games in Perth and another couple in New Zealand where the last time we toured there was not much purchase for the spinners. "And that's one area where he may come in. Irrespective of all the debate, the best seaming all-rounder of India has been picked in the World Cup side. So we are hoping that he will stand up and take the responsibility." "He is an exciting player. He can play aggressive shots if needed. And he's a good bowler. If he gives me 6-8 overs, that's enough. I can use the other part-timers to bowl those 2-3 overs that are needed," he added.

World Cup format long and predictable - Dravid, Smith http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/content/story/821497.html

Former India captain Rahul Dravid and former South Africa captain Graeme Smith have given a thumbs down to the format of the World Cup starting in Australia and New Zealand on February 14. They were speaking on CONTENDERS, an ESPNcricinfo special programme building up to the tournament. "It's almost easy barring the odd upset or someone really having a bad tournament; you can almost predict who the top eight will be sitting here in the studio today," Dravid said. "There comes a time in a tournament like this - and I sensed it a little bit during the last World Cup when I wasn't playing but just watching - that everyone starts to wait for the quarterfinals. Sure, in between you have some big games as well but you know eventually that these are going to be the best eight teams." Smith was of the view that the format allows for a few "soft games" to be played. "As a team you know who is going to qualify but you are just trying to get some confidence out of that first phase and you don't want to mess up against one of the minnows, which is always a challenge as a top Test nation. You want to qualify for the quarterfinals as soon as possible." The 14 participating teams at the World Cup have been divided into two groups of seven each. Every team plays the other six in its group once. The four top teams from each group qualify for the quarterfinals. The same format was followed for the 2011 World Cup and much like that tournament it is expected that the top eight Test nations will go through to the knockout stages with Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and the four Associate teams - Ireland, Scotland, UAE and Afghanistan - missing out. Smith said that the 2007 and 2011 World Cups, where he led South Africa, were "very long." "You start the tournament with this great hype and then it hits a lull. In both tournaments we had 10-12 day breaks between games at some stages which is a long time to just sit around in parts of another country in a World Cup. The experiences I have had with the football and rugby World Cups is that every weekend there is a big challenge and you are looking forward to the next game. I think that's crucial for us to create to keep cricket on the map around the world: keeping it competitive." Dravid said "the best format" was that of the 1999 and 2003 World Cups, where the group stage was followed by the super sixes before the semifinals and the final. "You had to play well throughout the tournament. It gave you a bit of a chance to recover, if you started off slowly as we did in 2003. When three teams qualified for the super six stage, every game mattered. Points got carried over as well, so you knew you couldn't relax in any of the games because if you lose a game, you don't get to carry over those points. "They need to just tighten it up, ensure that it's a shorter tournament and have a format where it's just not easy to predict who the top eight teams are going to be. There should be some tension in the top eight sides that if they mess up they won't qualify for the super sixes." Smith said the presence of four Associate sides undermined the status of the World Cup as "cricket's iconic event." "People tune in to watch this event from around the world. If you look at the marketing events teams are having in their own countries, there is great interest in this event. I feel that tournaments like the World T20 and Champions Trophy will be an opportune time to give these nations the chance to play but I think the ICC needs to incentivise these nations more so they grow on a consistent basis, not just give them a World Cup every four years. Help these nations grow, then the pool of cricket is growing and getting stronger and stronger. I think throwing them into an event like this every four years is a bit hit-and-miss and takes away from what is an iconic event for cricket."

read this today on cinfo - is it true?

According to rules qf will be decided according to seedings irrespective of finishing postions .. if no minnow surprises qf will be SAvs NZ, AUS VS PAK , SL VS IND , WI VS ENG ... with sf1 ( q1vs q3) I.e. AUS VS ENG and sf2 (q2 vs q4), IND VS SA (NZ if sa dont choke) .

Found the venue allocation rules for WC. http://www.icc-cricket.com/cricket-world-cup/schedule/finals It will depend upon pool standings..

The venues for quarter finalists from Pool B will be determined by their Pool A opponents, which will be determined by their respective finishing positions in the pool stage. For example, if India tops Pool B in position B1, then it will play against the Pool A team that finishes in position A4. Therefore, if Sri Lanka finishes in position A4, then India will play Sri Lanka in Sydney on 18 March.

^^ Thanks. Been looking for this for a while. Looks like there is no chance that Aus will meet NZ in the semis. Good chance that NZ will reach the finals... They play all their matches except Finals at Home... Hope we finish in the Top 2... Will are likely to meet SL at Sydney for the QF and Aus/Pak at Sydney again for the semis if we do well. If we meet England, and win (unlikely), we have to play semis at NZ

Looks like I'll be seeing the England QF (in Melbourne), then, and SL QF will be in Syd. Sort of as I expected. If that QF is England v South Africa (as I sort of half-expect, with Eng to finish fourth in their group, and Saf to top theirs)... :popcorn:

So...if what I expect to happen does happen... Group A 1. Australia 2. New Zealand 3. Sri Lanka 4. England Group B 1. South Africa 2. India 3. Pakistan 4. West Indies Quarter finals will look like this... March 18 (Sydney) Sri Lanka v India March 19 (Melbourne) England v South Africa March 20 (Adelaide) Australia v West Indies March 21 (Wellington) New Zealand v Pakistan