Krish Srikkanth Answers Your Questions !

Ram

Guest HariSampath
Krish, Welcome to our site from a childhood fan of yours. Iam the resident Test Cricket Statistician and if you have a stat need for your website you know where to look . BTW your site has a Timeout error ... its probably overwhelmed by the hits from our people. :D
Thats quite representative of Krish's batting itself BB.... Lots of hits....little time followed by OUT :D
Guest HariSampath
Dont forget the walks to squareleg. :D
Of course, when he walked to squareleg on his test debut and was runout by John Emburey. Later an English cricketer told him " that wasn't a runout Srikkers..that should go down in the scorecard as a walkout" :haha:
I had always played cricket right from schooldays' date=' in order to entertai spectators, and it didn't matter to me what level it was. I played cricketto enjoy the game myself. nly regret is I lost my wicket in 20s and 30s which I could have converted to bigger scores.[/quote'] Great to see you here Krish! Long time fan, right from the days when you would smack the bowlers for a four/six and then walk nonchalantly towards square leg. :two_thumbs_up: By the by I just noticed you mentioned getting dismissed in 20s and 30s. This was specially true in Test cricket. I remember how in early 90s down under you had about 3-4 of such knocks though you failed to get a half-century. Still must say those 30s gave more pleasure to spectators than many dour 50s and even 100s. Hope to see you here more. xxx
Guest HariSampath
Great to see you here Krish! Long time fan, right from the days when you would smack the bowlers for a four/six and then walk nonchalantly towards square leg. :two_thumbs_up: By the by I just noticed you mentioned getting dismissed in 20s and 30s. This was specially true in Test cricket. I remember how in early 90s down under you had about 3-4 of such knocks though you failed to get a half-century. Still must say those 30s gave more pleasure to spectators than many dour 50s and even 100s. Hope to see you here more. xxx
Lurks, what about that test in 1987 against Windies on a very fast Wankhede wicket. Cheeka's 70 off 60 balls and 65 off 70 balls, in both innings , he was the top scorer and against a lightning quick Patterson, Walsh and Davis...maybe India drew that test due to Cheeka a bit, as most of our top four were done in by the pace. He has scored quite a few very good fifties in tests, and also a couple of 100s
Lurks' date=' what about that test in 1987 against Windies on a very fast Wankhede wicket. Cheeka's 70 off 60 balls and 65 off 70 balls, in both innings , he was the top scorer and against a lightning quick Patterson, Walsh and Davis...maybe India drew that test due to Cheeka a bit, as most of our top four were done in by the pace. He has scored quite a few very good fifties in tests, and also a couple of 100s[/quote'] Yeah those innings were gems, more so since they came around the same time Sunny had called it a day and hence there must have been added pressure on Krish. In Test cricket my favorite Krish memories are in 1985-86 down under. In two successive tests he had a high scoring 80 and a century. Of course the kind of batsman that he was, both this came at about a run a ball(quite unhear of in those days). India should have won 2 out of the 3 tests in that series but it ended in a draw. Can you imagine how different Indian cricket could have been had India won 2-0 in Australia about 20 odd years back? Maybe thats a question for Krish, what happened? We should have won the Melbourne test when we had to chase 126 in 25 overs and we ended up with 59/2. Shwetabh has given his ideas about this but who better to ask than Srikkanth himself? xxx
Guest HariSampath
Yeah those innings were gems, more so since they came around the same time Sunny had called it a day and hence there must have been added pressure on Krish. In Test cricket my favorite Krish memories are in 1985-86 down under. In two successive tests he had a high scoring 80 and a century. Of course the kind of batsman that he was, both this came at about a run a ball(quite unhear of in those days). India should have won 2 out of the 3 tests in that series but it ended in a draw. Can you imagine how different Indian cricket could have been had India won 2-0 in Australia about 20 odd years back? Maybe thats a question for Krish, what happened? We should have won the Melbourne test when we had to chase 126 in 25 overs and we ended up with 59/2. Shwetabh has given his ideas about this but who better to ask than Srikkanth himself? xxx
That 116 off 117 balls was one of the most attacking innings by an Indian opener in Australia on the first morning of a test match. Bill Lawry was on the commentary I think and he once said " This batswinging hundred by Srikkanth has Bill O'Reilly doing somersaults of joy", and Cheeka hit 19 4s and a six, ( he was batting injured in his ankle and L Sivaramakrishnan was running for him). Lawry was saying "that was a job you could call a paid holiday Siva, no need to run". Srikkanth was adjudjed man of the match, despite Gavaskar getting 172 and Amarnath getting 138. India ran up 334 -1 on the first day against the Aussies, but much slower batting on the 2nd day cost us a bit. But still we made them follow on !!! and they barely avoided A test innings defeat...so sad. Srikkanth was also adjudged man of the test series along with Kapil Dev
Guest HariSampath
We should have won the Melbourne test when we had to chase 126 in 25 overs and we ended up with 59/2.
I still remember that test match Lurks....Srikkanth was determined to win that , and probably would have done so too, but chasing 125 in 25 overs to win, he hardly got strike ( he had told me this a few years back), and Gavaskar scored 8 off 54 balls. When Cheeka was dismissed for 38 off 60 balls going for runs, India put up shutters and played out a draw....uuuugggh ( even in the first innings cheeka had got a run a ball 80+ I think)
Guest HariSampath
What a great guy! Thanks Hari for making this happen. We should include what you said in that thread.
Yeah gambo, I too think we should include what he told me and how he changed his mind to answer some questions despite being pressed for time....Of course you are right, because it gives us an insight about the cricketer and the man in him.

Hari is giving way way more credt than i am actually worth for. Apart from that , I gotto hand it to the Enthusiasm of Hari himself , who was very keen on making this happen. A million thanks to you Hari. And you know what was the great/messed up part ? He asked me to note down his e-mail id , and i couldnt get hold a paper/pen immediately.So , I actually put him on hold for a few seconds while i fumbled around for a pen ! So technically , I am actually one of the few Indian cricket fans in this world who put a former India captain on Hold !:D And coming to my conversation with Srikkanth himself, the man's simplicity is staggering. He spoke to me as though we would speak with our next door neighbor. With regards to our conversation itself, I started with the customary greeting and introduction and then went on to give a brief description of our site and how we would extremely pleased if he could answer all the questions. He told that was a bit busy then, but would definitely make it a point to address the questions sometime later on. He wanted to know more about our site and i obliged, giving him some of the details. He said he is open to the idea having some sort of co-operation with his site Krishcricket.com and ours , gave me his e-mail id The funny part was, during the entire time he was addressing me by my name saying things like " Sure Sriram , we can do that Sriram... Definitely Sriram".. It was quite amazing and unnerving at the same time. Ok, I need to do some gloating with my friends ! :D

Guest HariSampath

Srikkanth was quite critical about the BCCI considering Gary Kirsten, in the interview that was being taped when I was there, he was saying things like " I can't understand why we always have a need for foreign coaches, when there are so many eminently qualified Indian cricketers".... and also " probably its something in the psyche of subcontinental teams and a throwback to our colonial legacy" Cheeka has always been an outspoken critic on the appointment of foreign coaches for the past few seasons and was in fact scathing in his criticism of Chappell after WC. Sometimes I wonder why not appoint Srikkanth himself, after all he probably has a VERY GOOD resume for the job....but that by itself will be a separate discussion issue I think

Cheeka, Thanks for visiting. I loved your knocks, brilliant hits against West Indies, Aus etc. I do agree with you on the converting 20s and 30s would have been even super. But my cousin and I will be so excited when we were small kids seeing you bat. But, thanks so much, and hopefully one day I will meet or talk to you as well :D My Dad was a great fan of you as well. He had worked in the same company you worked-- many years before you became a cricket star in Indian 11. Great to know we can interact with you at ICF.

Kudos to Hari and Sriram for making this hapenning. Of course a huge thanks to Srikanth for dropping by despite his busy schedule. Srikanth sounds a very nice person. We folks should extend our fullest support in not just making this website a success but also Srikanth's. Look forward to a long term allegiance with Srikanth.