Day 1 Post Mortem: Shades of Multan 2004

Gambit

What an amazingly dominating performance from India! Jaffer carted the clueless and hapless Pak attack to all parts of Eden. Amazing quick innings which made for even better viewing given that destruction was being meted out by virtue of classical orthodox play. I might blaspheme when I say this but IMO Jaffer's batting is as gorgeous to watch as Laxy in full flow. Dravid ground out a decent 50 and Sachin played quite positively. His second test 82 of the year. At the end of Day 1 at Multan, we were 356/2 with Veeru on 228*. Today at Eden, we are 352/3 with Wasim on 192*. Hope he makes a triple tomorrow :top:

he nearly scored 200 runs on day 1.. may be slowly first 300 and then 400:two_thumbs_up: anywayz, not jumping the gun.. fantastic display by jaffer.. great support by Dravi, unfortunately poor decision didn't let him bat more.. good display by tendlya again. Ganguly in the end, well didn't look in form.. looked worried... hope he batz well tomorrow infront of his home crowd all in all, it was ownage..and cricketics wayz - it was carnage..

We must look to bat till tea on Day 2 & pile up something close to 675. For that to happen we need to keep scoring at 4 rpo till lunch & then accelerate in the lunch-tea session. Pitch wont be as easy to bat on, from day 3. Let Kumble & Bhajji go to work the rest of the test match.

We must look to bat till tea on Day 2 & pile up something close to 675. For that to happen we need to keep scoring at 4 rpo till lunch & then accelerate in the lunch-tea session. Pitch wont be as easy to bat on' date=' from day 3. Let Kumble & Bhajji go to work the rest of the test match.[/quote'] I would say, If India is batting, they should bat till 1 hour after tea and bowl their heart out for an hour. No need to declare earlier, if we pile on 600+, so what, it is the time that counts. We bat now, we don't have to bat again in this test. Heck Ganguly batted even on the third day in headingly and Sydney. It is quite demoralizing when the team batting first goes on and on beyond everybody's expectation and also adds to the frustration of the opposition batsmen esp the openers.

Ganguly was all at sea against Kaneria. He'll be relieved Pakistan took the new ball. I wouldn't have if I were Younis. There was at least one close appeal against Ganguly from the spinner, and he looked ill at ease. Maybe Younis wanted to curtail play by bringing on the quicks and hastening the offer of light to the batsmen? Sachin needs to eliminate that up and over shot against the short ball, which he perfected at Blomfontein many years ago. He was caught behind the wicket playing it this time in SA, and should have been dismissed on 28 today, but for Akmal's ineptitude. I still don't think he is back to his best mentally. His bat speed is a lot slower than in the ODIs, and bowlers like Yasir Hameed would have been whipped through mid wicket without so much as an apology in the shorter version of the game. Yet, you can see that of the two, Dravid is far more tentative. I have rarely seen Dravid prodding from the crease, surviving Chinese cuts, looking uncertain on a featherbed like this. He'll be found out in Australia, our erstwhile wall, and spells big trouble for the team. Danish Kaneria- I hesitate to call him a sportsman. How can somebody look so ungainly despite representing his nation at international cricket for so many years? It's not just that he's naturally clumsy, but he looks unfit, unkempt, and is clearly a liability in the field. What irks me even more is his obvious lack of intelligence. He appeals when the batsman is quite blatantly not out, and while he may get the occasional windfall as he did today with Dravid's scalp, he'll seriously turn off umpires the world over and lose many legitimate ones. Shrill voice, over dramatized hysterical appeals- a serious turn off and one of my least favourite cricketers.