She would have had a sleepless night

Ram

I hope he is jilted as our Test opener. India should be able to do better than retrofitting a keeper+lower middle order player into a FORCED test opening position. Its not a natural one for him. Right now - main weak links in this 11 are KKD and Grandpa Patel. When a suitable lower middle order opening comes up, then it is time to consider KKD again. Good player, will make it then.

Gambhir or Chopra are atleast regular openers and not "makeshift". Or if we want makeshift, the "virtual opener" Dravid who anyway has to bat within 5 overs of start of the innings can do it, or Ganguly can be ordered to do it. YS can come in as a middle order batsman. Chandan: I know you will not agree. After watching KKD fail in Aus, then you will agree after that series.

Or if we want makeshift, the "virtual opener" Dravid who anyway has to bat within 5 overs of start of the innings can do it, or Ganguly can be ordered to do it. YS can come in as a middle order batsman.
Just perfect. Have your best middle batsman over the last 3 series start opening or let one of the best ever no. 3 batsman the world has ever seen open.
Just perfect. Have your best middle batsman over the last 3 series start opening or let one of the best ever no. 3 batsman the world has ever seen open.
Just what do you want to do Shwetabh? Take a makeshift opener "for the sake of it" and then we will be 12-1, and then your "best no.3" can walk in in the 5th over - that is great, is it? That means ur best no.3 is virtually opening *and* we wasted a spot in the 11.
Gambhir or Chopra are atleast regular openers and not "makeshift". Or if we want makeshift, the "virtual opener" Dravid who anyway has to bat within 5 overs of start of the innings can do it, or Ganguly can be ordered to do it. YS can come in as a middle order batsman. Chandan: I know you will not agree. After watching KKD fail in Aus, then you will agree after that series.
I might agree that Karthik will fail in Australia if his form doesn't improve! But: 1. Despite being a regular opener, Gambhir has a much poor technique and I just don't see him succeeding in test. 2. Chopra has not been able to stand up whenever he had to bat on difficult tracks even in this Ranji, and you expect him to do that against Australia? 3. Dravid had expressed his unwillingness to open many a times and I don't think anyone can/should force him to do so. Now give me the choice?
Just what do you want to do Shwetabh? Take a makeshift opener "for the sake of it" and then we will be 12-1, and then your "best no.3" can walk in in the 5th over - that is great, is it? That means ur best no.3 is virtually opening *and* we wasted a spot in the 11.
Pick whoever is the best opener available but fiddling around with a performing middle order defies logic.

So take a proper opener to go alongside Jaffer. Chopra and Gambhir are both enjoying excellent seasons with the bat. You could always gamble on someone like Pujara, who has the technique, the runscoring ability and in recent games, the runs. As things stand, Dravid should stay put at 3 and Ganguly and VVS in the middle order where they've both been so successful. Either we go with Karthik as the faute de mieux choice, or find someone who has enough first class runs and big scores to make a reasonable case for selection in his place.

Chandan - Despite what you say, I'll go with either one of Gambhir or Chopra. It is not the best, but IMO it will be better than KKD. They atleast have done the opening job far too often compared to a makeshift guy. Shwetabh: I disagree. Sure we can go with Gambhir or Chopra - thats fine, but if push comes to shove, we have to force it upon Dravid or Ganguly - tough choice. But, I'll agree that first we should try GG or AC.

Salil saheb, I'd have preferred to have Badri instead of YS. But given that our selectors wont take Badri, I'm saying YS.
Both moot points. Both will compete for a MO place, and that's locked down to Dravid, SRT, Ganguly and VVS. At best one will be picked as a reserve. The question is whether Karthik can be replaced as an opener, and the common sense approach to this is by picking an opener to replace him, rather than the next cab off the ranks with some hype behind him, be it Badri or Yuseless and shuffling a settled and solid middle order.

makeshift, regular all BS.... this guy has opened for us in bouncy conditions in SA, swinging condition in england and come out with flying colors..... he is more regular than any regular opening batter in our flat pitches first class cricket... KKD has to fail in atleast 3 more tests to be labelled a failure....

makeshift, regular all BS.... this guy has opened for us in bouncy conditions in SA, swinging condition in england and come out with flying colors..... he is more regular than any regular opening batter in our flat pitches first class cricket... KKD has to fail in atleast 3 more tests to be labelled a failure....
Bouncy conditions of SA ? He opened in one innings & scored a useful 50. If you recall, that was the flattest track in that whole series. Several others scored 50s as well. He did surprise people in England. But based on what I've seen of him so far, I'd put that down to the second string English attack he faced. (Tho, an admirable effort). He had to primarily contend with swing bowlers in England, which is generally not a problem for Indian batsmen. He looks distinctly uncomfortable against Akhtar's full length as well as short deliveries. When he goes to Australia, he will have contend with atleast 3-4 quality bowlers for sustained periods of time. Given the numerous chances he's gotten to bat at the test level (close to 18 tests), he hasnt showcased anything extraordinary so far, to merit such long backing that you suggest. I'd take a backup opener to Australia, as things stand.
Bouncy conditions of SA ? He opened in one innings & scored a useful 50. If you recall, that was the flattest track in that whole series. Several others scored 50s as well. He did surprise people in England. But based on what I've seen of him so far, I'd put that down to the second string English attack he faced. (Tho, an admirable effort). He had to primarily contend with swing bowlers in England, which is generally not a problem for Indian batsmen. He looks distinctly uncomfortable against Akhtar's full length as well as short deliveries. When he goes to Australia, he will have contend with atleast 3-4 quality bowlers for sustained periods of time. Given the numerous chances he's gotten to bat at the test level (close to 18 tests), he hasnt showcased anything extraordinary so far, to merit such long backing that you suggest. I'd take a backup opener to Australia, as things stand.
100% need Gambhir or Chopra to go as backup.