The AIMIM thread

Gollum

The seemandhra people may not be in the old city, but they are within the bounds of the GHMC. This is where the battle is being fought. Rao has posponed the GMHC elections for good reason. He is not confident he can win in the GMHC based on the strength of the TDP in particular within the city. Obviously he did not want for Hyderabad to be a union territory. MIM already have their hold on the old city. They are looking at the suburbs and surrounding districts. I await your elaboration. But MIM will make alliances. Any political party will.
I will keep adding stuff on AIMIM and my thoughts on these. On GHMC elections being postponed You are right. The TRS Govt is trying to postpone them using the pretext that new ward definitions and reservations ( mandatory after census in 2011 ) needs time. Even the HC was irritated at the postponement. Currently TRS says it will hold elections in 2015. However, this is purely a TRS issue. They are wary of the TDP-BJP alliance which is very strong in the GHMC limits. IMO, MIM has its seats that it wins regardless of any alliance ( its own as well as others ) and seats where it will not be able to make much difference. New boundaries of wards might influence but we will know it only when the boundaries of new wards are released. Point to note is that post 2011 census, GHMC limits I think have > 1 crore population with more than 80 lakh plus voters. The stakes have risen. On United Andhra stance of MIM - This has been their stance since 1960 i.e MIM was always pro Unified State - The importance of muslims in the smaller Telangana state can have a polarizing effect on the hindu vote and with Congress being wiped out, there is a certain vacuum that BJP-TDP combine can capitalize. This is something that we could have projected before polls too. - TRS - MIM alliance is a very fragile one with TRS even offering to join Modi Govt. MIM cannot trust TRS as KCR is as opportunistic as they come. Later on, I will add on old city muslims ( majority of whom are victims of anti-razakaar movement by Communists and were refugees from Karnataka and Maharashtra ) differing from muslims from rest of Telangana on statehood issue ( if relevant ) This is interesting thread. Thanks OP :two_thumbs_up: p.s I will also occasionally add pics and stuff of our dear MP and AIMIM to make the thread colorful :dance:gharwapsi_650_010715113611.jpg

Mr Asad Owaisi used his good offices with Saudi Arabia Govt and made sure that NRIs were less impacted due to Saudi's Nitaqat policy. Not sure if RSS sent a delegation to discuss with Saudi monarchy on issues impacting Indians ever.
just curious, was that move motivated on religious grounds ?

just curious' date=' was that move motivated on religious grounds ?[/quote'] No. Saudi policy impacted expats of all religions in Saudi. Since there are about 5 lakh or so ( not very sure of the number but it will be around that ) Hyderabadis (Indians) working in Saudi as expats ,Mr.Owaisi used his influence over Saudi monarchy and therefore helped our nation.

No. Saudi policy impacted expats of all religions in Saudi. Since there are about 5 lakh or so ( not very sure of the number but it will be around that ) Hyderabadis (Indians) working in Saudi as expats ' date='Mr.Owaisi used his influence over Saudi monarchy and therefore helped our nation.[/quote'] Yes- I am sure helping the nation was on the top of his mind when he did that. Anything else he has done?

I will keep adding stuff on AIMIM and my thoughts on these.
ok. look forward to it. I am not an expert on politics to detail in Hyderabad. I encourage more participation on pure politics (numbers voting percentages trend etc etc) separated from ideology. Your most welcome to post in any thread. I for one am more than willing to learn new things.
On GHMC elections being postponed You are right. The TRS Govt is trying to postpone them using the pretext that new ward definitions and reservations ( mandatory after census in 2011 ) needs time. Even the HC was irritated at the postponement. Currently TRS says it will hold elections in 2015. However, this is purely a TRS issue. They are wary of the TDP-BJP alliance which is very strong in the GHMC limits. IMO, MIM has its seats that it wins regardless of any alliance ( its own as well as others ) and seats where it will not be able to make much difference. New boundaries of wards might influence but we will know it only when the boundaries of new wards are released. Point to note is that post 2011 census, GHMC limits I think have > 1 crore population with more than 80 lakh plus voters. The stakes have risen.
The problem for the MIM is those seats are not enough to rule. They won 43 odd out of 150. The key issue is TRS expanding territory of the GHMC in Medak district where the MIM has low influence and which is in the hands of the TRS. With the congress collapsing in Hyderabad, I am not too sure that MIM will be in a position to find a partner to form administration. I would not say the TDP-BJP allinace is too strong. Many TDP leaders have defected to the TRS within the city. Owaisi will know the rumours circulating about the TRS and the BJP. There is a good chance BJP fights with TDP and then forms alliance with the TRS post elections. The problem of now having any congress presence is that you know the congress are never going to form alliance with the BJP. The TRS have been in alliance with any tom dick and harry. Thats not to say TRS wont form an alliance with the MIM. But TRS would prefer to win outright and if not the BJP. Rao has his eyes on a cabinet berth. AIMIM reminds me of the Sena in the 1980s. Its only when they captured BMC that they managed to plant their flag all over Maharashtra. I am not 100% sure that Owaisi has the degree of Arab backing you make out to be. For elections in Maharashtra your talking about 10 crore per seat is needed on cadre and a lot of other things. MIM does want to contest say 50 seats where they have a decent chance. Thats 500 crore right there. They need to find funds from being in power in GHMC. Lets be frank I have a soft spot for the Sena but you would have to be naive that dont generate some 1000 crore per year in illicit funds (like say taking bribes for permits) to fund their campaigns across maharashtra. Keep in mind that their first relatively major foray in Nanded in 2012 came after they clinched a deal to rule the GMHC. Thats not a coincidence.
On United Andhra stance of MIM - This has been their stance since 1960 i.e MIM was always pro Unified State - The importance of muslims in the smaller Telangana state can have a polarizing effect on the hindu vote and with Congress being wiped out, there is a certain vacuum that BJP-TDP combine can capitalize. This is something that we could have projected before polls too. - TRS - MIM alliance is a very fragile one with TRS even offering to join Modi Govt. MIM cannot trust TRS as KCR is as opportunistic as they come. Later on, I will add on old city muslims ( majority of whom are victims of anti-razakaar movement by Communists and were refugees from Karnataka and Maharashtra ) differing from muslims from rest of Telangana on statehood issue ( if relevant ) This is interesting thread. Thanks OP :two_thumbs_up:
Again, stance dont mean much. Its probably to attract votes from the people from Seemandhra who make a big % of the city. Polarisation is good for the MIM. He is interested in boosting his seat numbers. BJP will get votes form poleration. Not sure of TRS or TDP. About KCR I have addressed this earlier in the post. and i look forward to the post on different types of muslims. I look forward to it.

Kalia and G_B_ thanks for your posts. Kalia I gather is from Hyderabad, so his insights/updates will be very useful in this thread. I look forward to his post on different types of Muslims in Hyderabad/Telengana. My questions directed to Kalia: 1. What about the terrorist outfits who have take shelter in the Old City? Is AIMIM protecting them? Is AIMIM a threat to national security? 2. Do Old City people and people from other parts of Hyderabad interact? It seems like Old City is a green ghetto and remaining Hyderabad is as cosmopolitan and open minded as they come. Is there hatred between the 2 factions? I personally got scared when I went as a tourist to that part of the city. 3. Does AIMIM have any chance of winning seats in other parts of Hyderabad? 4. Old City is a stinking mess, poor infrastructure and filthy. Does Owaisi do any governance there or is he an MP there purely on the basis of communal agenda and his brother's hate speeches? 5. What about Hindus in Old City, is their life in danger all the time because of the overwhelming population of the descendents of Razakars? 6. Are Old City Muslims anti India?(Anyway I think you will cover all that in your post on different types of Muslims in Hyderabad,Telenagana) 7. Is there any chance of AIMIM turning into an Indian version of Jamaat E Islaami, Bangladesh? After all both have too many similarities in common:- -waging war on their own countries -Razakars -colluding with Pakistan -hardline Islamists -hate minorities -masquerade as political outfits but are really a hardline Islamist outfit with terror links -plentiful of goons in their ranks, exercise power in excess of their political clout -Arab funded, also resulting rise in Wahhabism in their domains of influence

My opinions below - quoted. G_B_ has asked for numbers as ideologies are known and I agree that they dont contribute much to discussion. However, I have not been able to get numbers ( you can call me lazy. Most numbers are part of Shri Krishna Commission report but I am yet to get my hands on graphs,etc. It is all in a big voluminous report ).

Kalia and G_B_ thanks for your posts. Kalia I gather is from Hyderabad, so his insights/updates will be very useful in this thread. I look forward to his post on different types of Muslims in Hyderabad/Telengana. My questions directed to Kalia: 1. What about the terrorist outfits who have take shelter in the Old City? Is AIMIM protecting them? Is AIMIM a threat to national security? True that Old city Hyderabad is a hub of ISI, SIMI. I do not think AIMIM is protecting them as a party. Individuals in old city - who knows? Old city is a ghetto and IMO, it is better if there is atleast one party that has ability to influence the people there. Else, it will be a free for all. Known devil is better than unknown saint. 2. Do Old City people and people from other parts of Hyderabad interact? It seems like Old City is a green ghetto and remaining Hyderabad is as cosmopolitan and open minded as they come. Is there hatred between the 2 factions? I personally got scared when I went as a tourist to that part of the city. Simple answer. No i.e not much interaction. I myself go to old city rarely ( midnight shopping during Ramzan being exception as you get good stuff for peanuts and also for some good food :dance: ). Mistrust - yes. Hatred - no. Situation was different pre-early 90s when riots were common in Hyderabad. Surprisingly, Hyd was (relatively) extremely calm even post-Babri masjid riots across India. 3. Does AIMIM have any chance of winning seats in other parts of Hyderabad? As an individual entity - no chance. Very bluntly - non-muslims do not vote for MIM. There was this BJP leader Baddam Bal Reddy who had come close to even defeating Owaisi once in old city MP constituency. 4. Old City is a stinking mess, poor infrastructure and filthy. Does Owaisi do any governance there or is he an MP there purely on the basis of communal agenda and his brother's hate speeches? He is MP as his is the only party supposedly for muslims and the people there believe it. On the filthy aspect, well it has poor residents and looks like Ghetto ( because it IS a ghetto ).However, I would say it is common for poor muslims to prefer to live in Ghettos. This is not exclusive to Hyderabad. Owaisi is obviously fine to keep the people the way they are. Anyway, no one dares to ask for electricity bills, water bills, property tax to residents in old city. 5. What about Hindus in Old City, is their life in danger all the time because of the overwhelming population of the descendents of Razakars? Very few hindus stay there i.e the proper old city. As I said, riots have come down since early 90s. I do not think their lives are in danger in a massive scale. Random incidents cannot be ruled out. 6. Are Old City Muslims anti India?(Anyway I think you will cover all that in your post on different types of Muslims in Hyderabad,Telenagana) Wow. This is a sweeping question. Do remember that there are many illegal Pakistanis living in old city and it is an ISI hub. The Pak flags and slogans can very well be the work of them. There will be few that will try and irritate hindus by chanting slogans pro-Pak and from your question, it looks like they have succeeded in irritating their targets :winky: Different types ( wrong word actually - different history would be appropriate ) of muslims - I will do a separate post as it is historical and long. 7. Is there any chance of AIMIM turning into an Indian version of Jamaat E Islaami, Bangladesh? After all both have too many similarities in common:- -waging war on their own countries -Razakars -colluding with Pakistan -hardline Islamists -hate minorities -masquerade as political outfits but are really a hardline Islamist outfit with terror links -plentiful of goons in their ranks, exercise power in excess of their political clout -Arab funded, also resulting rise in Wahhabism in their domains of influence AIMIM HATES Jamaat E Islami. You are confusing between 2 things. Jamaat is a hardline Islamic group within muslim majority Pakistan. Their target is to go more orthodox and they are sectarian. AIMIM operates in a hindu majority country. They use muslim card but never go and issue fatwas and impose rules on how muslims should behave. They are simply NOT a religious ( as in the 'do it this way as Allah wished this way' ) party. They are a political party for muslims. The only connection I am aware of is that Mr. Owaisi is a member of Muslim Personal Law Board. Also read on how Owaisi blasted Shahi Imam of Jama Masjid ( he said if Imam is advising people to vote for a party , then he should come and contest election and there should not be politics by a religious figure).

Thanks for your post Kalia, you are perfect for this thread. :two_thumbs_up: "Anyway, no one dares to ask for electricity bills, water bills, property tax to residents in old city." :fear: Hopefully that will change some day? ISI hub, illegal Pakistanis, SIMI.... well that is scary.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/140105/news-current-affairs/article/hyderabad-tops-power-theft-list-ap http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/hyderabad/Nearly-50-of-power-in-Hyderabads-Old-City-pilfered-thanks-to-politicians/articleshow/28764746.cms http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/andhra_pradesh/article1373442.ece http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_City_%28Hyderabad,_India%29 What Kalia said is so true. Residents of the Old City do not pay water bills, electricity bills,etc and power theft is bloody high. Loss of 100s of crores annually because of them. Authorities, policemen must be afraid of entering there and the AIMIM goons are pretty intimidating. Kalia, is the present KCR Government looking into this matter? Any chance of nabbing the culprits? Why doesn't MP Asad Owaisi look into this matter, is he oblivious to this fact? Is MLA Syed Ahmed Pasha Quadri a dangerous guy? It seems the linesmen, officials are terrorized, assaulted regularly in the Old City and so this problem may never be solved.

Thanks for your post Kalia, you are perfect for this thread. :two_thumbs_up: "Anyway, no one dares to ask for electricity bills, water bills, property tax to residents in old city." :fear: Hopefully that will change some day? ISI hub, illegal Pakistanis, SIMI.... well that is scary.
read this - link and you will know :two_thumbs_up: Why would I vote for any other party if my current MLA subsidizes all my bills and taxes :dance:
Nearly 50% of power supplied to the Old City is unaccounted for. Despite suffering Rs 69 lakh loss daily, ostensibly due to power pilferage, the Central Power Distribution Company Limited (CPDCL) enforcement wing officials dread to crack the whip on 'power thieves' due to political interference. Also, location of meters inside houses has been hampering vigilance checks. Recently, when CPDCL enforcement wing (who are drawn from police department) went to Hasan Nagar in Rajendranagar along with local police to nab second-time offenders besides penalizing them for drawing power illegally, Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (MIM) MLA Syed Ahmed Pasha Quadri, who represents Charminar constituency in the Assembly, landed at the location and directed officials not to collect penalties. "Our team went to register cases against persons indulging in power pilferage at Rajendranagar under a feeder, where nearly 87% is illegally tapped. However, the MLA came to the location and said that since Milad-un-Nabi is round the corner, he asked the team to come back after January 14. Since the situation was tense, with no other option, the officials returned empty-handed,'' chief vigilance officer (CVO) K Muralidhar Rao told TOI. "This is not an isolated case, but the norm in the Old City with interference of local politicians. Since the last few months, we have been focusing on the Old City and any person committing second offence is being remanded," the CVO added. With most customers fixing meters inside their houses, the CPDCL officials have been finding it difficult to monitor them for pilferage. "Fixing meters inside is against rules now. When enforcement officials visit residences randomly to verify whether meter is tampered or not, they raise objections over 'other men' entering their houses. When we insist that they put up the meter outside, they never get it done," another official said. As a result, the number of cases registered against culprits is much less compared to the amount of power pilferage in the Old City.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/140105/news-current-affairs/article/hyderabad-tops-power-theft-list-ap http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/hyderabad/Nearly-50-of-power-in-Hyderabads-Old-City-pilfered-thanks-to-politicians/articleshow/28764746.cms http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/andhra_pradesh/article1373442.ece http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_City_%28Hyderabad,_India%29 What Kalia said is so true. Residents of the Old City do not pay water bills, electricity bills,etc and power theft is bloody high. Loss of 100s of crores annually because of them. Authorities, policemen must be afraid of entering there and the AIMIM goons are pretty intimidating. Kalia, is the present KCR Government looking into this matter? Any chance of nabbing the culprits? Why doesn't MP Asad Owaisi look into this matter, is he oblivious to this fact? Is MLA Syed Ahmed Pasha Quadri a dangerous guy? It seems the linesmen, officials are terrorized, assaulted regularly in the Old City and so this problem may never be solved.
Rest assured - everyone is aware of the problem. Will anyone do anything? NO. This is a problem where consequences of a solution are more undesirable than status quo. We can only wish that gradually, there will be more education and new generations that are more responsible will bring the change from within the community.

OK. I found an excellent blog post which covers most of history of Telangana muslims and how old city muslims are different from muslims in other parts of Telangana ( touching upon Razaakar movement, Nizam rule,etc ) Saved me lot of time :yay: http://sujaiblog.blogspot.in/2010/03/telangana-curious-case-of-mim.html I don't agree 100% with the author of the blog on a few opinions but by and large, the factual parts are right. Very interesting read :two_thumbs_up: