Seven batsmen, five pacers likely for Oz Series

DesiChap

NEW DELHI, December 10: With just a day left for the selection of the Indian team for the four-Test series Down Under, the selection committee is busy trying to find the right combination for the taxing assignment. They will pick a 16-member squad on Wednesday out of the 24 probables selected last week. And if sources in the selection committee are to be believed, the five wise men are looking at a combination of seven batsmen, five medium-pacers, two spinners and two wicketkeepers. The certainties in the batsmen’s list are Wasim Jaffer, Rahul Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly, VVS Laxman and Yuvraj Singh. According to sources, one slot is open for another opener. Here, by virtue of his good show in the recent One-day Internationals, Twenty20 games and in Ranji Trophy matches for Delhi, Gautam Gambhir is ahead of statemate Aakash Chopra in the race. The third opening batsman in the squad could be the man who will be picked as the second wicketkeeper. MS Dhoni is, of course, the first choice as gloveman. The second wicketkeeper will be picked between Dinesh Karthick and Parthiv Patel. Incidentally, both have tried to establish themselves as openers. As per sources, Pathiv has a slight edge over Karthik right now. "Parthiv has been scoring heavily in the domestic cricket and he has the experience of playing in Australia. He is certainly in the race. Since we are looking at an option of seven batsmen and two wicketkeepers, the second wicketkeeper has to be the third opener," a selector, who didn’t wish to be named, told TOI on Monday. On the pace front, Zaheer Khan, RP Singh and Irfan Pathan are sure names. For the two vacant slots, four bowlers — Ishant Sharma, VRV Singh, Munaf Patel and Ajit Agarkar — are in contention. But the selectors are non-committal on who will make the cut. Their decision will also hinge on the physio’s report on the pacers’ fitness which will be submitted on Wednesday morning. "Australian wickets are traditionally well suited for the fast bowlers and since the tour will be a hectic one, we are keen to pick fit bowlers who can sustain themselves all through the series," another selector said. When pressed to name those who have the best chance of making it, the selector declined to reveal anything. He only said: "How can we say right now? It’s too early to talk about it. All of us need to sit together and then work out the best combination. But as far as the fast bowlers are concerned, fitness will be an important component. Match fitness being a key area, we are going to consider performances in the ongoing Ranji matches as well." According to sources, with skipper Anil Kumble and Harbhajan Singh manning the spin department, selection of a third spinner is ruled out for the tour. http://cricket.indiatimes.com/Seven_batsmen_five_pacers_likely_for_Oz/articleshow/2612556.cms

I feel Chopra will be hard to leave out, considering he has already toured Aus and has been in rollicking form off late. Me thinks the 16 will mostly look like this, Jaffer Karthik Chopra Gambhir Dravid Sachin Ganguly Laxman Yuvraj Dhoni Kumble Bhajji Zak RPS Ishant Irfan In that. Karthik may miss out, maybe for another pacer.

I wouldnt have Munaf anywhere near the team. I'd rather send Sreesanth on a stretcher to Aus, if given the option. I still cannot decide between Gambhir and Chopra... or Parthiv and Karthik. Chopra is a fighter, someone who will not throw his wicket away. I was very impressed by his attitude after reading John Wright's book, and also after reading his articles when he was playing county cricket. Those are the kind of cricketers we need. On the other hand, Gambhir has played well in T-20 and ODI's, and deserves a spot. But then again, he is a compulsive hooker/puller, and has problems outside off. So I would favor Chopra by a whisker. Parthiv has experience of being in Aus, and is in form, if you judge by the domestic games. (which itself is a mistake, we know the standards of our domestic cricket.) Karthik is a fighter, but he's hit a dip in form. Its 51-49 to Karthik I guess... He wont be in the team, but he might be in the squad. Now, for the bowlers... 5 bowlers for me would be.. Zaheer RP No question about those 2... I'd have Irfan in the squad as a utility player. He is still better than the 2 I am leaving out. For the remaining 2 out of 4, I'd go with VRV and Agarkar. Agarkar's been there, and knows what its about. He is a much much better fielder than munaf, and atleast he tries. VRV for the fact that he wasnt "BAD" in SA, where the wickets were bouncy.. Ishant is way too raw, and Munaf, well.... So, my squad would be.. Chopra Jaffer Dravid Sachin Yuvraj Ganguly Laxman Dhoni Karthik Kumble Bhajji Zaheer RP Irfan VRV Agarkar

I feel Chopra will be hard to leave out, considering he has already toured Aus and has been in rollicking form off late. Me thinks the 16 will mostly look like this, Jaffer Karthik Chopra Gambhir Dravid Sachin Ganguly Laxman Yuvraj Dhoni Kumble Bhajji Zak RPS Ishant Irfan In that. Karthik may miss out, maybe for another pacer.
Considering we're playing 4 tests, we need 5 pacers. 4 wont cut it. Also, after seeing Ishant bowl, he is extremely raw, and needs time. He's played 20 something first class games, and 2 tests. I'd rather have VRV, since he has some experience of bowling on bouncy pitches, and is equally tall/fast, as well as better built/stronger.
Considering we're playing 4 tests' date=' we need 5 pacers. 4 wont cut it. Also, after seeing Ishant bowl, he is extremely raw, and needs time. He's played 20 something first class games, and 2 tests. I'd rather have VRV, since he has some experience of bowling on bouncy pitches, and is equally tall/fast, as well as better built/stronger.[/quote'] I have never seen VRV bowl and it felt like he will take a wicket. IS, even with his umpteen no-balls was looking like he will get 3-4 wickets. That is what one has to see in a bowler as talent. It's all about looks. Santh in his early days was raw and he was looking like he would get a wicket anytime. But I wouldn't pick IS in the playing X1 with that talent. He can develop into a very good bowler.
He can develop into a very good bowler.
Yes, he has the talent. But wouldnt you want your reserve bowler to be someone who has some kind of experience? We're talking about aussies here.. they're gonna kill him. He doesnt have a good idea about his own bowling and physique.. and the aussies will murder him, resulting in him being dropped for a couple of years! VRV on the other hand, has been to SA, and actually did bowl alrite.He knows how pitches in SA, Aus are, and already has an idea about how he should go about bowling there. Anyway, its a marginal selection. I'd go for VRV by a whisker, but wouldnt mind if Ishant went there either.