Do we need an aggresive captain?

Sachinism

we would have won had pathiv been able to catch ok maybe ganguly wasnt the best example, i feel he was more aggressive than than dravid and kumble, ganguly wouldnt take bs from anyone, he allowed his players to show aggression unlike dravid who would try to calm them down
Are you suggesting that Kumble takes bs from anyone !

Ganguly is perceived to be aggressive, because of his antics. On the cricket field is as defensive as any other Indian captain in history. Safety first approach. Secure the series draw/win first before worrying about a test win. Bangalore 2005 (went for a draw), Sydney 2004 (delayed declaration), Jamaica 2001 (played for a draw), But with antics like removing shirt, coming in late for a toss, he is perceived to be aggressive.

Just wait till Dhoni is test Captain. He needs to be groomed for the role though. It's good to see players like him around not the wimps we had in the 90s. Yes we need an aggressive Captain. Australia are the best team in the world right now. It's not a case of "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" but we need to "'join 'em" so to speak, i.e. fight fire with fire if we're going to challenge the best side in the world. The Aussies changed the goalposts we need to be able to hit the back of the net. I totally hate football, or soccer, as the yanks call it though.

Aggression without talent and commitment to match it is useless. Chapell brought agressive tactics and we failed almost always when we played aggressively to win (eg., SA last test when we batted to chase). The tactics should match the personnel and I think we have the right tactics for the kind of bowling attack we have and the mental fortitude of our key players (read SRT and dravid)

Aggression without talent and commitment to match it is useless. Chapell brought agressive tactics and we failed almost always when we played aggressively to win (eg.' date=' SA last test when we batted to chase). The tactics should match the personnel and I think we have the right tactics for the kind of bowling attack we have and the mental fortitude of our key players (read SRT and dravid)[/quote'] I agree but we need to find the talent to match the aggression. We're getting there though. At least we have half decent 'fast' bowlers now.
Kumble missed the boat today. I thought he was much more aggressive than this. Should have declared with 300 to get - impossible in two sessions on a last day. What a chance missed by Kumble. Sad really.
had he declared around 300 and pakistan were 8 wickets down at the end of the day....everyone wud still be complaining why didnt he declare 30 mins earlier
we would have won had pathiv been able to catch ok maybe ganguly wasnt the best example, i feel he was more aggressive than than dravid and kumble, ganguly wouldnt take bs from anyone, he allowed his players to show aggression unlike dravid who would try to calm them down
Oh, so you think Sree did not show any aggression in SA? You seem to have a short memory. Do you remember the scene when Sree hit Nel for a six and showed his antics? And Kumble takes bs from anyone? How many Indian captains have sledged the main opposition batsman to submission? Change your notions. Even Dravid never took any "bs" from anyone, be it opposition or his team mates! Even during bowling I didn't see anyone calming Sree down!
Oh, so you think Sree did not show any aggression in SA? You seem to have a short memory. Do you remember the scene when Sree hit Nel for a six and showed his antics? Even during bowling I didn't see anyone calming Sree down!
sorry chandan but what sreesanth did in SA was not aggression. You define dancing as aggression?

No Apo. I don't do so, but the forummer who has opened the thread, seems to think so. Also, he thinks that Ganguly never stopped his players from showing aggression (you call all those hollow snarling of Zaheer in WC final 03, aggression?) while Dravid calmed his players down. Hence my reply!