Bahubali : India's Biggest Motion Picture

Kalia_Test

Apart from the names already mentioned, there are so many (famous/upcoming) Gujjus in Bollywood such as Abbas-Mastan (Baazigar, etc.), Jackie Shroff, Ayesha Takia (Wanted), Annes Bazamee (Welome, No Entry), Himesh Reshammiya, Ismail Darbar, Tina Munim, Amessha Patel (Kaho na pyar hai), Sharman Joshi (3I), Nirupa Roy (Bollywood's perennial mom ), Alka Yagnik, ....

@Rett..Comparitivly Bengalis and Punjabis have contributed more to HFI than Gujaratis. Gujaratis work in HFI is not because Gujaratis feel enlightened to work in HFI rather than Gujarati cinema, but it is a better market. Same is true for some southie imports like Mani Ratnam etc into HFI. You can harp all you want about Gujarati talent being better than Telugu talent, but the key here is, Telugu people have created a better industry and are now competing with HFI. So, that is the key here. Even Kollywood (Tamil). People like Shankar, Murugadoss have created a thriving industry and people from south need not watch HFs to get quality cinema.

@Rett..Comparitivly Bengalis and Punjabis have contributed more to HFI than Gujaratis. Gujaratis work in HFI is not because Gujaratis feel enlightened to work in HFI rather than Gujarati cinema' date=' but [u']it is a better market.
That what I said. I have not compared Gujju contributions w/ others .... What I said was that Gujjus work and make films in Bollywood because it is a natural fit for them (not that others contribution could be less or more) And I said that because "Mr. Bahubali is the greatest" tried to bring in Gujarati film industry assuming that I must be jealous of Telugu industry .... He did not understand that major Gujarati film makers prefer the Hindi medium and make films in Bollywood (also Mumbai was once the joint capital), and unnecessarily assumed that since filmmakers in South make films in regional languages, others would have to do that too :P Now why Bollywood is a natural fit? ----> As I said - "Gujarati population understand Hindi as well (considering it as the national language) .... Gujarati film makers make films for the majority because a) they are smart with respect to ROI, b) confident that their product will be accepted by the majority, and c) simply amongst the best in India - Manmohan Desai, Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Ketan Metha, Vipul Shah, Indra Kumar, Farah Khan, the Bhatts, Sajid Nadiadwala, Ismail Merchant, etc." .... and as I said earlier, Bombay was once the joint capital
Same is true for some southie imports like Mani Ratnam etc into HFI. You can harp all you want about Gujarati talent being better than Telugu talent, but the key here is, Telugu people have created a better industry and are now competing with HFI. So, that is the key here. Even Kollywood (Tamil). People like Shankar, Murugadoss have created a thriving industry and people from south need not watch HFs to get quality cinema.
I never said that others don't contribute to Bollywood. In fact I would be happy if film makers made their best work in Hindi too for the majority of the market .... And as mentioned, a major Gujarati film maker will not spend crores in making a Gujarati film (reasons already mentioned), he will simply make an Amar, Akbar and Anthony .... However, despite all these, Gujarati films have won national awards and represented Ind at Oscars As for Southern film industry, it is a good one. I watch and like South films such as Roza, Bombay, Shivaji the boss, etc. so am happy if it is dishing out good films :nice: Why Telugu (or others) felt the need to create an industry? ----> Copying my response to one of the poster's points but helps to explain the question - "No matter how good actors Mohanlal, Mamotty, etc. are, they will not be widely accepted by majority of Ind as they would in their regions .... so they have to restrict themselves to their region which, luckily for them, probably does not understand Hindi as widely as well .... and there is less competition as top actors in India would not want to work in such regional industries on a permanent basis"

On topic... Amitabh Bachchan on Bahubali - Never seen anything like this before in Indian cinema - Wish I was part of it qqojc4hvUG4 Shekhar Kapoor ( Mr.India fame ) Shekhar Kapur ✔@shekharkapur His filmmaking takes ur breath away. He may change the course of Indian Cinema internationally. Waiting for sequel #bhahubali @ssrajamouli 12:36 AM - 27 Jul 2015 A bit unfair IMO. Rajamouli is just one of the many talented Indian directors. He can't do everything. One flop and all will be there with their knives. He has his strengths but the broader picture is to get the talented movie-makers to make path-breaking movies and most importantly get funding for their ventures. And good citizens of India should actually PAY to watch a movie - minimum respect to a film-maker. :two_thumbs_up: Thankfully, majority did and the film made ( and is making ) good money.

^^^ Also great to see Amitabh Bachchan sir saying he is honoured to feel that he is part of the industry ( the Indian film Industry ). No putting down a film just because it is from 'South'. AB sir :hail: Bahubali meets hindi Singham ( original Singham was Suriya ) prahas-600x369.jpg

Some more reviews:

You liked this movie because of VFX? Seriously? 1/10 Author: Suresh Thakur from New Delhi 29 July 2015 I watch a lots of movie and I can say this movie has nothing special but hype. I feel sorry for the people who are dying to popularize this movie because of it's VFX quotient. I have to clarify again that VFX work is real sh!t in this movie. Like that bull fighting scene, it was clearly evident that he was fighting with the 3D modeled animated bull and it was fake and pathetic. I remember, when I was a kid, I watched a movie called "Jajantaram Mamantaram", they were selling that movie by similar claims like that movie had best VFX of that time etc, but it was a pain to watch that movie, same case is with Bahubali. Acting, Story and VFX nothing works for movie, but hype worked well and some how they have minted Rs300 Crore.
Copied from different sources...Copied pretty well 1/10 Author: richardking-29559 from United States 28 July 2015 Fight scenes copied from Hercules. The main gist of the film copied from Game of Thrones. I'm still trying to understand as to why a "copy" would cost so much. Some scenes are commendable, like the cliff hanging scene from MI-2, or the baby holding scene over water (most probably from Apocalypto). Nevertheless, the first half of the movie is utter crap and boring. The story does not really make sense as this guy wants to climb that waterfall mountain and thats it. But, hang on, there's actually a kingdom up there and people are being tortured as well (some work for the hero, after all)...!!!!!!!!!!! The best part of this film is, it lets you watch many movies/series without having to watch them all. Just watch this one and you're done. Still reeling because of the amount of $$$ spent for this. Definitely 1/10.
routine but not great 2/10 Author: Chiranthan Lakki from hyderabad 28 July 2015 yeah!the movie is OK but not great.Mr.Rajamouli usually takes old stories and just amplifies the emotions and present it to the audience,including "eega" where the story and screenplay are routine but the hero character was played by a housefly making it fun to watch. he does the same in this movie. the actual success regarding this movie is "the monetization" .the marketing team were very successful in creating hype and capitalizing it. some news channels did broadcast that the movie print was not given to theater which didn't agree to raise the minimum ticket cost to Rs.300 .this shows their capitalistic stunt. so the filmmakers are offering same old story same old screenplay high definition visuals but not as good as Hollywood,there are many Indian made movies with equal visual quality and far better story and screenplay and want the audience to pay 5-10 times the usual ticket cost. and it is funny to see some posts saying"it takes Indian film to next level"..but they don't realize its not the movie quality but the ticket cost that did rise.
Lack of sense and logic 5/10 Author: Santhosh S from India 28 July 2015 *** This review may contain spoilers *** The first thing that came into my mind after watching the movie is the telugu movie makers needs some serious physics lessons.As being said an 'international level' movie,the critic has to be reviewed internationally.The war scenes have illogical ideas and have been influenced by many Hollywood movies.The songs seems to be an unofficial intervals for the movie which contributes to the slow first half.The projectile of the objects move in a parabolic path according to physics but not according to telugu movies.The movie should have had more detailing in the first half,or could have trimmed more than 10-15 minutes.Apart from these the camera work is brilliant,actors have done a fair job,Satyaraj is extraordinary.The graphics is the best for an Indian movie.Even though it is an honor of Indian cinema,it fails to capture the hearts as Magadheera did.
Baahubali – The man or what? 5/10 Author: armaan-80027 from USA 27 July 2015 Baahubali – The man or what? The hero Baahubali (or Shiva. request readers to use whatever applicable!) has extraordinary strength. I imagined a very strong human being but based on the movie, Baahubali can be our next super hero. Indian Hulk. He proved it by walking up a mountain slope with almost 400 lb of granite on his shoulders. No pain. He can fly. He can shoot arrows upwards while bungee jumping. He can peel the layers of a tall granite stone to make a ski-boat. He can throw granite boulders into snowy mountains to create avalanches. He can shot put 100 lb. granite balls to more than 40 ft. He can push a standing horse. He can be buried under twenty armored soldiers and yet kick them all in one go to show up before you missed him. He can ride a horse in a battle, holding a spear in each hand, take on one enemy soldier on each spear and throw them away. I imagined myself making kababs with one stick in each hand and I was tired. Now, that should tell you why Baahubali is no human being. He is our next superhero. Baahubali – The lover boy. Baahubali was raised by tribal people so he grew up wild. His first meeting with his dream girl showed desperation and confusion. More like "Just Do it" as Nike puts it. And he does it. Phew. Where is the romance? Baahubali – The item boy. When I saw the rope shaped in a cocoon my heart started beating faster. I was hoping for one item and the cocoon delivered three items. It did not add up like "Just Do it" plus "Just Do it" plus "Just Do it"; three times "Just Do it". I felt like it was much more than that. My popcorn bucket looked much closer and tasted hotter. In that heat of the moment Bahubali took center stage and started itemizing the items. Something popped in my head and my popcorn bucket fell down. Then I realized the three girls are props for Bahubali, the item boy. Baahubali – A tale of two machos and my nachos. A slave warrior who is old, heroic, honest and guilty enough to make you sit up straight, take note where you are in the point of your life, feel guilty, dash to the exit, be honest, go to Rest Rooms to feel natural, buy some cheesy nachos, get back in, sit, relax, take a bite of nachos and still notice that the machos are showing off thanks to some mistake he did. It better be a very costly mistake; costly enough for me to digest the macho shows and nacho bites. Finally the movie ended with a stabby visual that was so shocking and butt-kicking I did not know how I landed in front of my car steering wheel. When I went home with machos eating my brains, I realized I left my nachos in the theatre. I know they can't last the "Conlcusion" and I wished I was a nacho too. Getting cold and damp because nobody is eating me. Or getting stomped to million pieces. Whatever it takes to not to be sold on the "Baahubali- The Conclusion". Machos or Nachos I don't care. Baahubali – The calculation. What a macho release even before it was actually shown to the minions? But why thinks this minion. It was all a marketing strategy to recover money and also some profit before the word spreads. And also make sure to recover the money for the second part too. Baahubali – The unexplained. RGV gave a good comment praising the machos! That is completely out of his character. Baahubali – The best parts. Of course biceps and lots of biceps! The waterfall is mighty amazing and out of the world. Some of the battle scenes are good and unique too. The visual parts are all very good. Baahubali – The truth It is a visual for the millions of poor minions. It is a false pride for the rich minions. Baahubali- No Conclusion. Life goes on even if I am looted again and again!

On topic... Amitabh Bachchan on Bahubali - Never seen anything like this before in Indian cinema - Wish I was part of it qqojc4hvUG4
Just watched the video .... it is actually someone from the Bahubali's team asking for comments from AB. What is he supposed to say on their faces esp. when AB is diplomatic? .... Actually the clip at the beginning said - Rana had the opportunity to show the "trailer" to AB and this is what he said :rofl: .... They also went to Modi and requested them to watch the film and would later claim that even Modi blah blah blah Heights of trying to put others in a situation where they have to promote a film (and here based on just the trailer) :hysterical: This incidence takes the carpet from under the Bahubali team's feet (caught with their shirts off / pants down) and to some extent exposes this thread

Shekhar Kapur ✔@shekharkapur His filmmaking takes ur breath away. He may change the course of Indian Cinema internationally. Waiting for sequel #bhahubali @ssrajamouli 12:36 AM - 27 Jul 2015
TFS. I think SSR caught Kapur's eye with Eega (makkhi). he was spellbound with that movie. for Indian standards, it was fantastic.

Last time, iirc, you said it was 9.4 .... PS Here is IMDB's top 250 ----> Link .... Bahubali ratings appear to be comically inflated
Yep, a loss of 0.2 counts for it to be considered as shite. It has been voted for in the same manner as your top 250. Once and if it crosses a certain threshold, it too will get in there. At the moment, IMDB - 9.2 rating. B->

Yep, a loss of 0.2 counts for it to be considered as shite. It has been voted for in the same manner as your top 250. Once and if it crosses a certain threshold, it too will get in there. At the moment, IMDB - 9.2 rating. B->
Sholay, Pyasa, Mughal-e-azam, 2 aankhe 12 hath all have IMDB rating of 8.2 to 8.6 but they too do not feature in this list. There must be something why they dont.

Sholay' date=' Pyasa, Mughal-e-azam, 2 aankhe 12 hath all have IMDB rating of 8.2 to 8.6 but they too do not feature in this list. There must be something why they dont.[/quote'] It would depend upon factors such as total number of votes, number of votes below the avg. of a movie, etc. .... For e.g., if 1M users vote for Bahubali, it's rating would be in the 5 to 6 range

It would depend upon factors such as total number of votes' date=' number of votes below the avg. of a movie, etc. .... For e.g., if 1M users vote for Bahubali, it's rating would be in the 5 to 6 range[/quote'] 3 Idiots do make it but it has 2 different IMDB ratings. See here it is 8.5 and the list you posted the rating is 8.2. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187043/ Also, it might mean that total numbers of Indian people who have given ratings to Indian films are low. Munnabhai, Lagaan, Dil chahta hai, Rang de basanti, Barfi, Bhag Milkha Bhaag all have ratings 8 plus.

3 Idiots do make it but it has 2 different IMDB ratings. See here it is 8.5 and the list you posted the rating is 8.2. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187043/ Also, it might mean that total numbers of Indian people who have given ratings to Indian films are low. Munnabhai, Lagaan, Dil chahta hai, Rang de basanti, Barfi, Bhag Milkha Bhaag all have ratings 8 plus.
Below is the criteria:
The formula for calculating the Top Rated 250 Titles gives a true Bayesian estimate: weighted rating (WR) = (v ÷ (v+m)) × R + (m ÷ (v+m)) × C Where: R = average for the movie (mean) = (Rating) v = number of votes for the movie = (votes) m = minimum votes required to be listed in the Top 250 (currently 25000) C = the mean vote across the whole report For the Top 250, only votes from regular voters are considered.
I would vote like this: 10 - reserved for something unique 9 - Oscar level movie. Nothing much to fault, a classic 8 - top quality movie, a classic, attempts something new successfully 7 - above avg attempt, better than most of the films in its category, almost the whole movie is good 6 - a good movie, however the entire movie may not be good (avg 1st half, very good 2nd half), a good time pass 5 - avg movie, time pass, film has its moments but can be skipped too

Sholay' date=' Pyasa, Mughal-e-azam, 2 aankhe 12 hath all have IMDB rating of 8.2 to 8.6 but they too do not feature in this list. There must be something why they dont.[/quote'] ROGER EBERT, on relative ratings The very idea to compare Baahubali to Satyajit Ray's, Shyam Benegal's works is wrong. This movie should be compared only with movies of this genre. So if Baahubali is 9.2 or something, it doesn't mean that it is as good as "The Godfather" or "Apu Trilogy" . It means that among Indian movies, in the historical fantasy genre, it stands head and heels above any movie made. We must understand that Mughal-e-Azam is not of the same genre as Baahubali. Mughal-e-Azam is a historical fiction. Maybe if Baahubali is a Chinese, Korean Production where they make superior movies in the historical genre; I would say a rating of about 6 to 6.5 would be adequate considering Crouching Tiger is at about 10/10 But for India, there is no benchmark to measure Baahubali with.

Bajirao Mastani is of the same genre as Jodha-Akbar and Mughal-e-Azam you can rate the movie based on the benchmarks set by the those movies. not Baahubali. the question is not about inferior - superior its about apples and oranges. its like comparing Conan the Cimmerean novels with The White queen novel sword and sandal; historical fantasy; historical fiction are all different genres.

ROGER EBERT' date= on relative ratings So if Baahubali is 9.2 or something, it doesn't mean that it is as good as "The Godfather" or "Apu Trilogy" . It means that among Indian movies, in the historical fantasy genre, it stands head and heels above any movie made. .
IMO, films such as Kranti, Dharam Veer, etc. >> Bahubali