Akash Chopra Upset Over Sehwag Inclusion!

chirag

Though Chopra admits Sehwag can be a match-winner in Australia, he is surprised that the dasher was picked ahead of himself and Gambhir THE selectors might have surprised many and perhaps even raised a storm by picking Virender Sehwag for India’s tour Down Under. For, the 29-year-old was not even named in the 24 probables out of which the 16-member squad was eventually picked in Bangalore yesterday. Aakash Chopra, a probable himself and Sehwag’s opening partner on the last tour of Australia in 2003-04 said that his Delhi teammate’s inclusion came as a shocker. Bit shocking “I got to know from the media,” he said of his non-inclusion in the squad. “To be honest, it wouldn’t have been as bad had Gautam (Gambhir) made it ahead of me. But Viru (Virender Sehwag), though a very good friend of mine, being picked ahead of both of us is a bit shocking. “He was not even named in the probables. In that sense, I have every right to be disappointed,” the 30-year-old said. By virtue of some fine work on the domestic circuit, Chopra’s name rightly figured in the list of 24 probables and he was hopeful, like many others that he would be on the flight as part of Anil Kumble’s entourage for the four-Test series against Ricky Ponting’s Australia starting December 26. “I scored 800 runs in seven matches and my fingers were crossed, but…” After being dropped during the home series against Australia in 2004-05, Chopra admitted going through many emotions before finally settling down. “Initially, I was over zealous to stage a comeback. But soon, I got over it and stopped thinking about making a comeback and things like that. I channelised all my energy on playing good cricket. Soon, I started enjoying my game and got big knocks. The last couple of seasons have been fulfilling,” he said. Viru can turn it on The ever-toiling Delhi opener has come to realise that certain things are beyond his control and insisted that Sehwag could be the match-winner on the tour. After all, he had the best seat (at the other end in a partnership of 141) in the vast expanse of the Melbourne Cricket Ground on December 26, 2003 when Sehwag scored that blistering 195. “When Viru gets going, there’s no stopping him. He is a sure-shot match-winner. Yeah, it was a great knock,” said Chopra, who scored 48 on a torrid first morning of the third Test. Though Sehwag may be going through his worst phase in international cricket, Chopra felt great players can overcome a slump and do serious damage on their day. “He is a great player and has a glorious track record. Players like him can be decisive in the outcome of a match. If he gets going, he will get big runs and they will come at a great pace.”

Though Chopra admits Sehwag can be a match-winner in Australia' date= he is surprised that the dasher was picked ahead of himself and Gambhir Bit shocking “I got to know from the media,” he said of his non-inclusion in the squad. “To be honest, it wouldn’t have been as bad had Gautam (Gambhir) made it ahead of me. But Viru (Virender Sehwag), though a very good friend of mine, being picked ahead of both of us is a bit shocking. He was not even named in the probables. In that sense, I have every right to be disappointed,” the 30-year-old said. By virtue of some fine work on the domestic circuit, Chopra’s name rightly figured in the list of 24 probables and he was hopeful, like many others that he would be on the flight as part of Anil Kumble’s entourage for the four-Test series against Ricky Ponting’s Australia starting December 26. “I scored 800 runs in seven matches and my fingers were crossed, but…” After being dropped during the home series against Australia in 2004-05, Chopra admitted going through many emotions before finally settling down. “Initially, I was over zealous to stage a comeback. But soon, I got over it and stopped thinking about making a comeback and things like that. I channelised all my energy on playing good cricket. Soon, I started enjoying my game and got big knocks. The last couple of seasons have been fulfilling,” he said.
Mr. A. Chopra, Yes, Sehwag did not score to come back to team. Sehwag was not listed in 24. BUT - Sehwag has star value, "past glory". Sehwag has GodFathers to pull influence. Sehwag has fans dying for him. Do you have these? What do you have EXCEPT for hard work and what was that 800 runs in 7 matches? Now go and suck on it will ya. :finger: Affectionately, From the fans at ICF.

No wonder. Anybody who has been in the form that Chopra has been will feel terribly aggrieved that Sehwag was included ahead of him, even though he wasnt in the probables list. If I can catch hold of any selector now, I would like to ask him these questions 1) Why was Sehwag not included in the probables list in the first place ? 2) Why was he then selected over Chopra after Gambhir got injured ?

Mr. A. Chopra, Yes, Sehwag did not score to come back to team. Sehwag was not listed in 24. BUT - Sehwag has star value, "past glory". Sehwag has GodFathers to pull influence. Sehwag has fans dying for him. Do you have these? What do you have EXCEPT for hard work and what was that 800 runs in 7 matches? Now go and suck on it will ya. :finger: Affectionately, From the fans at ICF.
Actually, that was quite funny... Imagine someone actually going to Chopra and saying that on his face... :haha:

Did anybody notice, "I got to know from the media,” he said of his non-inclusion in the squad. “To be honest, it wouldn’t have been as bad had Gautam (Gambhir) made it ahead of me. But Viru (Virender Sehwag), though a very good friend of mine, being picked ahead of both of us is a bit shocking." Huh ? Wasnt Gambhir supposed to be injured ? Oh well, looks like Chopra accidentally spilled the beans. How i wish we can have an interview of Gambhir now, and ask him some questions about his "injury" and how he sustained it.

MM, 1) He was not in the initial 24 becos he is woefully out of form. Is this a surprise? 2) Answered above (read after BUT- ). Please let me know if any questions on that :-)
to question 1, he wasnt picked because he was woefully out of form his form never improved, so he doesnt deserve to be picked
Guest dada_rocks
Even Mahatama Gandhi can score in domesti cricket: S Ramesh

Sehwag scored more runs in one innings in australia then u scored in the whole tour, hes the best test opener since Gavaskar, infact 2nd best opener ever produced by India, he onced scored 98 before lunch on first day of a test match, Hes the only triple centurion india has ever produced. Sehwag at his worst >>>> Chopra, Gambhir at their very ****ing best! You are a more promising writer then ur a opening batsman!

Sehwag at his worst >>>> Chopra' date=' Gambhir at their very ****ing best![/quote'] This is just rhetoric. To break it down: Sehwag at his worst is the following: 9 runs of 12 balls, including 2 fours (one flick off the pads behind square leg, and another slash over gully -- both off lee), then gets caught at 2nd slip trying to drive on the up through extra cover (also off lee). India 13/1, with the ball 3 overs old. Chopra at his best (that we have seen at the international level): Sees of morning session and ends with 30* (80). Finally gets out for about 52 (120), making way for Tendulkar/VVS/Gangs/Yuvraj...130/1 (or more, depending on whether jaffer holds his end up). 9(12) >>>>>>>>>> 52 (120) ?

I don't get it. Indian FC structure is not like Australia where the highest run and wicket getters end up as good international cricketers in general. Why it's not like that and how to make it like that is an entirely different debate and topic. Fact is we have had the likes of Ajay Sharma piling up runs in domestic cricket, so to choose the international talent in such a scenario is not a straightforward exercise of running a statistical query. Ultimately cricketers of the caliber of Dravid, Tendulkar, Kumble, and Ganguly have thrown their weight behind Sehwag and their cricketing experience is in the region of 500 test matches.

I don't get it. Indian FC structure is not like Australia where the highest run and wicket getters end up as good international cricketers in general. Why it's not like that and how to make it like that is an entirely different debate and topic. Fact is we have had the likes of Ajay Sharma piling up runs in domestic cricket, so to choose the international talent in such a scenario is not a straightforward exercise of running a statistical query. Ultimately cricketers of the caliber of Dravid, Tendulkar, Kumble, and Ganguly have thrown their weight behind Sehwag and their cricketing experience is in the region of 500 test matches.
I know what you mean but BCCI does try every now & then but these new guys are seldom of the international level. I can remember so many from Ajay Sharma to ritender singh Sodi to Munaf patel .. At the end of the day BCCI has to send a side that has a chance of winning.

Is Chopra upset over the twin failures of 'minnow basher' Gambhir too ? Sehwag averages more in his Test career (49.46), so far, than in his entire FC career (49.13). Ignoring his experience & past success in Australia and going with domestic bullies aka journeymen such as Chopra or a Gambhir is masochistic. That doesnt mean domestic bullies should not be offered a chance, in the future. Their time will come against lesser teams. Australia is no place to try the untested. Even the tested ones fail there.

I feel for chopra.. he also deserved to go to Australia.. meanwhile i am for sehwag inclusion in the squad also.. i would have loved to see Chopra in the squad too.. and fineleg.. wat da fack u talkin about???? Chopra is one of the best openers currently in India..
You are saying that now!?? I have been crying hoarse that Chopra is one of the best for the last many days!!! My sarcastic post on Chopra went totally over your head. To make it clear: My take is that Chopra should have gone ahead of Sehwag Gambling by sending Sehwag may hit jackpot, BUT - as of Dec 12, 2007 - Chopra deserved to go before Sehwag.