Couples picked up from hotel rooms, charged with 'public indecency'

rkt.india

Why shouldn't hotels allow couples? This idea is weird in itself.
Check the context of my statement. IF they are going to humiliate couples, it is better not to allow them at all. Police let these hotels do their business. Hotels allow couples to stay, and then police infringes upon their privacy and personal life as if they have committed some crime. If it is a crime to rent a hotel, let it be known.

What has parents got to do with the identity?Adults should be asked their documents and thats about it. And if the hotels are illegal,raid them and take their owners in.Why harass the guests and ask their parents to come?This is typical moral policing that will make BJP unpopular. The Police/govt have no right to tell adults what they do inside a room.There is no excuse for this.
The problem is documents can be forged. I am sure they did ask for that.

Locals = Uncles and Aunties who would slap their girls for dating a boy. I am amazed that no one is questioning police's methods.
its hardly uncles and aunties. You are ok with your area turning into a red light district where even hordes of consenting adults, come for sex? You are ok with illegal hotels propping up prostitution drugs and illicit booze? Forget legality, nobody is going to be happy with that "development". As i mentioned before, not only couples, but drunkards on the beach and a pimp marketing under-age girls were picked up. The police did not specifically go for couples. They went in to tackle a whole host of issues.

its hardly uncles and aunties. You are ok with your area turning into a red light district where even hordes of consenting adults, come for sex? You are ok with illegal hotels propping up prostitution drugs and illicit booze? Forget legality, nobody is going to be happy with that "development". As i mentioned before, not only couples, but drunkards on the beach and a pimp marketing under-age girls were picked up. The police did not specifically go for couples. They went in to tackle a whole host of issues.
Are you ok with the methods used by police? Tell me honestly, is your consistent defence of this raid and subsequent actions is because you see it as an attack on your favorite political party? Try to look at this objectively. What the couples went through is unacceptable no matter what. There is an obvious moral-policing element involved here. Who calls parents to verify if their daughters are wh*r*s or not? How can this even be defended?

Are you ok with the methods used by police? Tell me honestly, is your consistent defence of this raid and subsequent actions is because you see it as an attack on your favorite political party? Try to look at this objectively. What the couples went through is unacceptable no matter what. There is an obvious moral-poliing element involved here. Who calls parents to verify if their daughters are wh*r*s or not? How can this even be defended?
I defend this raid because unlike most I know the ground realities. I have been to that beach as a child. It was a place where families came for a few quiet moments. Now its rave party central. This has nothing to do with politics. Problems in that area started springing up over the last decade. It was more due to transport links to the said place improving making it accessible. And yes i do defend the policing methods. They lack the resources. They need to be as effective as possible. If a few civil liberties are broken then so be it. Its not the first time Mumbai police has had to make that choice. In the face of a broken judicial system its clear they used encounter laws to kill off gangsters even if they surrendered. It was effective and it worked. Some armchair pundits need to look at practicalities. The couples who were made to call their parents have suffered emotional scars. The under-age prostitutes saved from the pimps have potentially had their lives saved. If you are critical about the moral policing, you should also be even handed and complement the police for busting an under-age prostitution ring. and again we have just heard the students/couples side of things. The assumption is they are telling the truth. Just because somebody talks to a newspaper does not mean its all true.

I defend this raid because unlike most I know the ground realities. I have been to that beach as a child. It was a place where families came for a few quiet moments. Now its rave party central. This has nothing to do with politics. Problems in that area started springing up over the last decade. It was more due to transport links to the said place improving making it accessible. And yes i do defend the policing methods. They lack the resources. They need to be as effective as possible. If a few civil liberties are broken then so be it. Its not the first time Mumbai police has had to make that choice. In the face of a broken judicial system its clear they used encounter laws to kill off gangsters even if they surrendered. It was effective and it worked. Some armchair pundits need to look at practicalities. The couples who were made to call their parents have suffered emotional scars. The under-age prostitutes saved from the pimps have potentially had their lives saved. If you are critical about the moral policing, you should also be even handed and complement the police for busting an under-age prostitution ring. and again we have just heard the students/couples side of things. The assumption is they are telling the truth. Just because somebody talks to a newspaper does not mean its all true.
It doesn't take a lot to verify one's identity. What resources do they need to verify if a girl is a sl*t or not? Does that require a parent certificate? Kudos that they busted that under-age prostitution ring, but what couples went through was needless and this stuff may potentially have scarred a lot of relationships forever. The good that came out at the end of the raid does not justify it's needless and ugly part.

It doesn't take a lot to verify one's identity. What resources do they need to verify if a girl is a sl*t or not? Does that require a parent certificate?
Actually in India identities are indeed hard to verify. Forgeries especially are a problem. I was actually picked up by the police one on my last visit to India in Mumbai. Me and my cousin and his friends had gone to see the NaMo rally at BKC. It was around 1-2am due to traffic we were late returning home. Apart from the driver all of us had drunk a few beers. Nobody was drunk. They took us to the police station cause apparently some gang of youths had been spotted putting up posters (ironically of NaMO) illegally on government property or so they said. They called my cousins mother to vouch for us. She vouched for us provided her address etc and came down there. I even had my British drivers licence on me in my wallet. They would not accept it. Mumbai as a city has been hit multiple times. If you wander off at night at say 4am even if you dont do anything wrong many times the police will pick you up and take you in and keep you there for a few hours.
Kudos that they busted that under-age prostitution ring, but what couples went through was needless and this stuff may potentially have scarred a lot of relationships forever. The good that came out at the end of the raid does not justify it's needless and ugly part.
Unfortunately prostitution is a grey line. Police usually dont try to interfere in that business many are there just to make a living. The problem is drugs and the prostitution trade has been getting integrated into the city. But vouching will remain an integral part of how the mumbai police conducts itself. They do not fully trust identities. Post 2008 the police have become a lot more draconian. If these kids were local then they should have known that. Its not just moral policing, (supposedly) they have become hardline on eve teasing with a lot more female constables. My cousin was telling me that now a days even teenagers cant travel with their mothers or sisters in the ladies only compartments. Its all strictly enforced by the police.

Locals = Uncles and Aunties who would slap their girls for dating a boy. I am amazed that no one is questioning police's methods.
Blame the police and the way it acted as much as you want but locals have every right to complain. I am no uncle/aunty but if someone rents a few houses in my locality and starts running prostitution business there, I will try to inform police about about it and get his **** kicked out of there.

So police took them to police station in a area plagued with prostitution, checked if they were consenting adult and then let them go. These hoteliers involved in such activities dont want their rooms to be empty. So all this news. It should have left as private story and shouldnt have been reported.

@G_B , Our police lacks basic etiquette and one encounter with them changes complete attitude towards policing. System is fraught with corruption but I wouldnt complain in this case as they were doing raids. What seems to have happened here is standard behavior. I would resist from deriding them as they seem to have good intentions.