Wasim Akram - genuine fast or fast -medium?

No. Bond regularly hit 150 KPH and was quicker on average. Steyn didn't. Morkel has been faster than than Steyn on average in almost every match. It is about how quick you are on average.
I'm referring to the erratic Dale Steyn of the mid 2000s who got dropped. In the late 2000s, Steyn came back with a somewhat reduced pace but he'd incorporated other skills into his repertoire.
I'm referring to the erratic Dale Steyn of the mid 2000s who got dropped. In the late 2000s' date=' Steyn came back with a somewhat reduced pace but he'd incorporated other skills into his repertoire.[/quote'] Even then, he was shade slower than bond.
I'm referring to the erratic Dale Steyn of the mid 2000s who got dropped. In the late 2000s' date=' Steyn came back with a somewhat reduced pace but he'd incorporated other skills into his repertoire.[/quote'] No, Steyn was never consistently that quick even when he was erratic. He was erratic because of his bowling action which wasn't in sync then. I have seen him. In 2006, he was bowling around 138-142K. Steyn's great quality has been the outswing he would get at that pace like Warne's leg breaks.
Steyn toured SL in 2006 IIRC. He bowled a spell to Sanga and Mahela and I can remember him clocking 96mph and few 95mph deliveries. I would say touch quicker than Bond at his pomp.
Bond has bowled quicker. His fastest recorded delivery was clocked at 156.4 km/h around 97 mph against India in the 2003 World Cup. He had the ability to bowl 150-152 KPH at 6 balls an over. He was seriously quick in that world cup. Steyn never did that. Steyn's fastest that I have seen was 154KPH that too in IPL.
Bond has bowled quicker. His fastest recorded delivery was clocked at 156.4 km/h around 97 mph against India in the 2003 World Cup. He had the ability to bowl 150-152 KPH at 6 balls an over. He was seriously quick in that world cup. Steyn never did that. Steyn's fastest that I have seen was 154KPH that too in IPL.
Steyn has crossed 155 mark in international matches.
Steyn has crossed 155 mark in international matches.
His fastest ball in international cricket was clocked at 155.7 km/h (96.8 mph) but it is not just about fastest ball, but about consistency in pace which is where Bond was quicker than him and even likes of Morne Morkel.
His fastest ball in international cricket was clocked at 155.7 km/h (96.8 mph) but it is not just about fastest ball' date=' but about consistency in pace which is where Bond was quicker than him and even likes of Morne Morkel.[/quote'] Yes, Bond has bowled an over with all deliveries above 150 which Steyn doesn't.
Yes' date=' Bond has bowled an over with all deliveries above 150 which Steyn doesn't.[/quote'] Bond has bowled plenty of overs which were consistently around 150 or more, not just one. If not for fitness, he would have posed some challenge to Steyn and Bond was equally good in both formats. Brett Lee, Alan Donald, Shane Bond and Dale Steyn all 3 are/were treat to watch at their best.
Bond has bowled plenty of overs which were consistently around 150 or more' date=' not just one. If not for fitness, he would have posed some challenge to Steyn and Bond was equally good in both formats. Brett Lee, Alan Donald, Shane Bond and Dale Steyn all 3 are/were treat to watch at their best.[/quote'] I'm not convinced Lee was as good as the others in Tests; similarly, Steyn is definitely not that capable an ODI bowler as the others. White Lightning at his peak was brilliant... he later evolved into a fast-medium (first change) bowler in the 2 formats, but even then his overall career stats are superb.
I'm not convinced Lee was as good as the others in Tests; similarly' date=' Steyn is definitely not that capable an ODI bowler as the others. White Lightning at his peak was brilliant... he later evolved into a fast-medium (first change) bowler in the 2 formats, but even then his overall career stats are superb.[/quote'] I am not talking about stats, but the way they bowled. It has always been fascinating to see these guys bowl at their best.
Yes that's true - the comparison between bond and steyn is difficult though if you go by average speeds. Bond played what 20 tests and he could quite regularly bowl peak speeds of 150+ but steyn somehow we would be hard pressed to get hold of his 20 tests where he did that. Maybe right at the start of his career but he was too much of a newbie and bond would boss him during that period in terms of quality. Also bond was an excellent odi bowler. So ifs and buts really given the short duration - steyn has grown really well over his career - not many odis for him though.
Steyn has indeed grown nicely. Makes one wonder what Bond would have done if he was fit and played for longer career.
Yes it is ifs and buts really - also wonder whether it comes with the terrain - he was apparently advised to go slow to lengthen his career but didn't want to lose his intensity. Very few can sustain those speeds' date=' retain quality and excel across formats for decade and a half say and we cant take anything away from the fellows that manage to combine these to accommodate the ifs and buts. It might seem uncharitable but again it might not come with the terrain who knows - bond upping his game vs. aus was always a treat.[/quote'] Some of the WI quicks were genuinely fast and had fairly long careers. I think it was more to do with Bond's body and action, etc. But, when he was on song, a real treat for cricket lovers!
As an all-format player or even just in Tests? I agree in the former category... I'm ambivalent regd the latter; might favour Bond even there.
Steyn certainly is greater due to the longevity and consistent performance. But ability wise in all formats, Bond is umatchable.