Nathu Singh - Rajasthan fast bowler

Kohli and Shastri combo seem to have an eye for the right kinds of players, especially bowlers. Pacers with pace and bounce, spinners who can turn the ball, wrist spinners etc.

Our test team has Umesh, Aaron, Ishant and Shami will come in too. They are our quickest available among established pacers. Ashwin and Mishra are our 2 established spinners who can turn the ball the most and they are in our test side.

The Board President's XI includes Nathu Singh, Hardik Pandya, Kuldeep Yadav, Shreyas Iyer and Karun Nair....all very international type players. Not long ago the same selectors were choosing trundlers mostly and darting spinners. Obviously, Kohli is asking for the right kinds of players.

Yup, the Test team squad reflects Kohli's mindset and also reveals the kind of players he wants from the selectors. Bowlers with pace and spinners who can turn the ball. Just look at today's ODI squad with Dhoni, All Trundlers !! Even if fast bowlers go for runs, we should stick to them, they will atleast get some wickets unlike Trundlers who will be swatted like flies and no wickets to show for those runs.

Is this guy the real deal or all hype? Remember Munaf Patel? Irfan Pathan? Bhuvi?

Munaf Patel was amazing when he started. How many bowlers take 10-fer in a warmup game against a touring side on a flat pitch. He had mean bouncer and good reverse swinging Yorkers.

He was the biggest let down for me when he slowed with injuries.

Yup, the Test team squad reflects Kohli's mindset and also reveals the kind of players he wants from the selectors. Bowlers with pace and spinners who can turn the ball. Just look at today's ODI squad with Dhoni, All Trundlers !! Even if fast bowlers go for runs, we should stick to them, they will atleast get some wickets unlike Trundlers who will be swatted like flies and no wickets to show for those runs.

Choosing an entire squad, without any proper fast-medium bowler even, is really baffling. 

Even more baffling is choosing short medium pacers only and yet telling them to bowl bouncers ball after ball.

Munaf Patel was amazing when he started. How many bowlers take 10-fer in a warmup game against a touring side on a flat pitch. He had mean bouncer and good reverse swinging Yorkers.

I remember that match against England. Munaf Patel at debut was the most lethal and exciting fast bowler I have even seen from India. He bowled fast inswinging yorkers, quick lifting deliveries from just short of a length, got steep bounce and lots of wickets. His rate of regressing was equally amazing too. Within a year or 18 months at most, he became a medium pacer from a genuine fast bowler, dropping about 10 to 15 k on an average. Stopped bowling yorkers and bouncers and lost his lethalness.

I remember that match against England. Munaf Patel at debut was the most lethal and exciting fast bowler I have even seen from India. He bowled fast inswinging yorkers, quick lifting deliveries from just short of a length, got steep bounce and lots of wickets. His rate of regressing was equally amazing too. Within a year or 18 months at most, he became a medium pacer from a genuine fast bowler, dropping about 10 to 15 k on an average. Stopped bowling yorkers and bouncers and lost his lethalness.

7 wkts on debut at Mohali.

Sreesanth, RP Singh, Munaf Patel, L. Balaji (injury), Irfan Pathan

To some extent Ishant Sharma (good but still wayward given so much experience) and Md. Shami (good but some waywardness and now major injury)

Umesh Yadav and Aaron (both still wayward)

Great opportunity for Nathu Singh - only he can grab it, and learn, or will go above players' way.

Send Nathu to A-tours, County experience (even if not good county teams). Zaheer Khan benefitted so much from county training.

Edited by fineleg

it was a huge disappointment. I still remember his first FC game was against Touring NZ side in 200. He was still very raw then. 20 year old Sreesanth and 17 year old RP also played that game. But it was Munaf who caught the eye. He beaten them for pace and took 3 wickets of top order batsmen.

Munaf Patel was another wasted talent. Had good pace, good bouncer and could reverse the bowl too. Then it all went downhill. I could not find his video of his debut match. But found his video vs WI. Watch Munaf bowl a good tight over at good pace with some really good bouncers.

He would mostly bowl in 140s and had a very good incutter.Then Greg Chappel asked him to slow down.

No he was mostly 130-140 in first spell and he ended the day. At 125-130ks.he did not have the fitness levels. Also he did not improve his fitness. He did well in odis though where he had to bowl 10 overs.

No he was mostly 130-140 in first spell and he ended the day. At 125-130ks.he did not have the fitness levels. Also he did not improve his fitness. He did well in odis though where he had to bowl 10 overs.

Fitness could always be worked upon but he possessed things that most other bowlers didn't have. He would not always bowl quick like Steyn does but when needed, he could increase the pace. By the time, he played ODIs, he had dropped his pace.

Wrong.When he first came he was 138 to 145 ks bowler consistently.

No even his debut match after his spell where he was 140ks+.he dropped down to 125ks in the same day.during Wi tour he was 130-145ks.After that he never touched 140ks consistenly even in few spells other than in nz.He always lacked stamina .