Hardik Pandya hit 39 in an over today in SMA T20 trohpy

sscomp32

After Dhoni, I would like Aditya Tare to get his chances in ODIs. He bats at 6 for Mumbai. He isn't too old like Saha, ojha, kartik and has done well, can bat aggressively. Samson isn't ready yet.

Tare's batting is pretty ordinary - I prefer Srikar Bharath to him in ODIs and Tests. I haven't seen Tare keep,but Bharat is pretty good at the latter. Since we're very unlikely to get an MSD in ODIs, might as well as done the best with what we have. 3-4 years from now, there should be some promising players around.

Edited by Vijy

Pandey hasn't cemented his place to the extent where it's indisputable. I'd say that I should be Iyer/Rahane and Pandey/Rahane, i.e. 2 out of these 3 should play at 4 and 5. I wouldn't make a call about Pandya at this stage either - we haven't seen enough of him yet. Big hitting keepers are a rarity in India - most of the front runners are Pappu, Naman Ojha, Saha and Karthik and all of them play better in the top and middle orders. Nikhil Naik may be one possibility, or one of 2 Bacchas - Pant and Kishan.

More realistically, with the present team the batting lineup will be: Rohit, Rahane/Dhawan, Kohli, 2 middle order bats (Iyer, Pandey and Rahane), Dhobi (unless he retires, he'll have to play somewhere), Jaddu.

Clearly, there are serious issues at 6 and 7, but don't expect the selectors to address them.

3 out of Rahane, Pandey, Iyer and Shikhar should be played in ODIs top 5 ... based on playing conditions and form.  Kohli and Rohit are the fixed ones.

This is what I had written...clearly meaning that I consider only Kohli and Rohit's place to be fixed in the top 5....and not Pandey.

If Dhoni and Jaddu bat 6 and 7 ...it would effectively mean bye bye to ODI series wins. If Dhoni plays , it has to be in the top 5.

Edited by express bowling

This is what I had written...clearly meaning that I consider only Kohli and Rohit's place to be fixed in the top 5....and not Pandey.

If Dhoni and Jaddu bat 6 and 7 ...it would effectively mean bye bye to ODI series wins. If Dhoni plays , it has to be in the top 5.

Okay. I must have misread the sheet since I thought that Pandey had been listed solo, instead of Pandey/X. I think that we are on the same page.

And yes, we're definitely going to lose a lot more ODI series in the future.

After Dhoni, I would like Aditya Tare to get his chances in ODIs. He bats at 6 for Mumbai. He isn't too old like Saha, ojha, kartik and has done well, can bat aggressively. Samson isn't ready yet.

How would Robin Utthappa be at no.7 in ODis ?   He is a big hitter who has international cricket experience and averages 37 and has a SR of 93 in List A.....and can be a passable keeper in LOIs. His poor showing in ODIs has been as a top order batsman which he is not fit to be, but can play those  slogging cameos at the end.

How would Robin Utthappa be at no.7 in ODis ?   He is a big hitter who has international cricket experience and averages 37 and has a SR of 93 in List A.....and can be a passable keeper in LOIs. His poor showing in ODIs has been as a top order batsman which he is not fit to be, but can play those  slogging cameos at the end.

If you look at Uthappa's T20 record, esp in ODIs, it's not really that great. His excellent List A record is as a top-order bat, and we have enough of those. I don't think that he can do well at 7. Moreover, he's a poor keeper. Nikhil Naik may be the way to go.

Aditya Tare averages 21 in List A with SR of 77.  These are really poor stats, not borderline or passable.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/player/333904.html

There is high chance that he lacks consistency as a batsman.

As he is 28 already, can't really consider him a youngster who is in the process of maturing and hence inconsistent.

Edited by express bowling
Tare's batting is pretty ordinary - I prefer Srikar Bharath to him in ODIs and Tests. I haven't seen Tare keep,but Bharat is pretty good at the latter. Since we're very unlikely to get an MSD in ODIs, might as well as done the best with what we have. 3-4 years from now, there should be some promising players around.

Bharat is an opener.

If you look at Uthappa's T20 record, esp in ODIs, it's not really that great. His excellent List A record is as a top-order bat, and we have enough of those. I don't think that he can do well at 7. Moreover, he's a poor keeper. Nikhil Naik may be the way to go.

Uthappa's keeping is questionable.

True but if Dhoni retires then who do we take ?

While such a keeper is a definite no-no in tests, many teams play less competent keepers in ODis in order to strengthen their batting.

Do we have an appropriate option now ?  Most probably not.

Nikhil Naik perhaps? In T20s, Pappu or Ojha might be options worth considering.. Pappu had a very good SMA season as an opener.

True but if Dhoni retires then who do we take ?

While such a keeper is a definite no-no in tests, many teams play less competent keepers in ODis in order to strengthen their batting.

Do we have an appropriate option now ?  Most probably not.

Sarfaraz Ahmed?

I don't follow Pakistani cricket these days  and am aware of only the Afridis and Younis Khans      :giggle:

I don't follow everyone there too, but Sarfaraz Ahmed has been a very good addition to their team. What we need is someone like that (even if it's on home tracks).

I don't follow everyone there too, but Sarfaraz Ahmed has been a very good addition to their team. What we need is someone like that (even if it's on home tracks).

Please don't compare Pak batsmen to ours. I am yet to see one quality batsmen in their side.