Lack of power hitters costing India

sandeep

Jeez we have to throw R Dhawan out. He's not an all rounder. 
I don't recall him playing any shots at the IPL level too. We cant have him in the side for his dibbly dobbly bowling. 

Jadeja too is not an all rounder. FFS. Such a selfish player. 

Our tailenders bat like retards. Embarrassing 

Dhoni was right about Dhawan....unfotunately

Ipl sab ko taar gyi india ki maar gyi,hitters

Aus has:

Warner

Finch

Marsh

Smith

Maxwell

Bailey

Faulkner

Nz has

Guptill

Munro

Anderson

Ronchi

Williamson

England has

Hales

Root

Taylor

Bairstow

Morgan

Stokes

Moin

Africa has

Ab

De cock

Miller

Duminy

Windies

Gayle

Polly

Bravo

Sammy

Russell

Samuels

Smith

India has

Dhawan (may be )

Rohit

Kohli

.Ghantaa

Our players do not have the mastery of aussie conditions to play attacking cricket.Even rohit and kohli will find it difficult if the wickets were

more lively.

if there is one front on which selectors are to be blamed its their stupid obsession with allrounders.it was  always going to fail.

these idiots do not understand its not about extra option(which is the mediocre bowling of rishi or gurkeerat) but about extra firepower

Having seniors like rayudu or uthappa would lend a bit more solidity as they have experience in non Asian conditions and very settled in their games.instead hacks like binny wasted our time

this would not have changed any result except today.

The main reason is the aussie batsmen think they can beat our pace bowlers in their sleep. Australia's top 3 pace bowling talents are too good.

That would ensure we will struggle to win any consecutive game against Australia for the foreseeable future.

manish and gurkeerat shud not be judged harshly here. they will take time to adjust especially outside asia and they got the worst debut of all conditions.

if only selectors shed their misplaced focus on so called allrounders (zero gains assured) and can atleast build a team for the future in other conditions.

in Australia seniors are very important,youngsters are certain to fail  and that won't be good enough without some help from the bowlers. 

I think Dhawan is worth persisting with. If you look at what Australia have done with Mitch Marsh, despite statistically better all rounders in domestic cricket, they've backed him for a number of years mainly because they see the importance of a seam bowling all rounder.

Dhawan needs to work on his control. Hopefully that will come with more experience but he will be very useful I feel in English, RSA and NZ conditions where there is a bit of lateral movement on offer for the bowlers. Also he needs to be given more responsibility with the bat and the captain for one needs to come out and publicly back him to come good. It's really disappointing to hear Dhoni criticise Dhawan, especially when Binny didn't seem to get this sort of criticism. 

I think Dhawan is worth persisting with. If you look at what Australia have done with Mitch Marsh, despite statistically better all rounders in domestic cricket, they've backed him for a number of years mainly because they see the importance of a seam bowling all rounder.

Dhawan needs to work on his control. Hopefully that will come with more experience but he will be very useful I feel in English, RSA and NZ conditions where there is a bit of lateral movement on offer for the bowlers. Also he needs to be given more responsibility with the bat and the captain for one needs to come out and publicly back him to come good. It's really disappointing to hear Dhoni criticise Dhawan, especially when Binny didn't seem to get this sort of criticism. 

I was a fairly strong supporter of Rishi, but I'm not convinced about his bowling. Mitch Marsh certainly improved ater a long rope, but Aus already had the likes of Maxi, Faulkner and Watto (and some Smith as well) in ODIs to cover for Marsh's mistakes. We don't have that kind of all round depth.

Rishi Dhawan has done reasonably good as a bowler if we consider how all the bowler fared in this series.

Dhoni gave him his full quota of bowling due to this,because Dhoni has not given more overs to Binny.

He has certainly bowled better than experienced Yadav & Kumar.He can be a good batsman at no 5.If a repeated failure Jadeja has been persisted for so many years,Rishi Dhawan certainly deserves more chance.

Rishi Dhawan has done reasonably good as a bowler if we consider how all the bowler fared in this series.

Dhoni gave him his full quota of bowling due to this,because Dhoni has not given more overs to Binny.

He has certainly bowled better than experienced Yadav & Kumar.He can be a good batsman at no 5.If a repeated failure Jadeja has been persisted for so many years,Rishi Dhawan certainly deserves more chance.

An allrounder can bat in the top 5 only when they're really capable, a la Kallis or Watto (in ODIs). If he plays, it should be at 6 or 7. There isn't enough space in the middle order... but 2 open slots in the lower middle order.

I was a fairly strong supporter of Rishi, but I'm not convinced about his bowling. Mitch Marsh certainly improved ater a long rope, but Aus already had the likes of Maxi, Faulkner and Watto (and some Smith as well) in ODIs to cover for Marsh's mistakes. We don't have that kind of all round depth.

I know but we need to start somewhere and between Dhawan, Jadeja and Binny, I see Dhawan as being the best option outside India. In India, Jadeja wins that battle for me because he becomes a decent batsman but a really lethal spinner.

I know but we need to start somewhere and between Dhawan, Jadeja and Binny, I see Dhawan as being the best option outside India. In India, Jadeja wins that battle for me because he becomes a decent batsman but a really lethal spinner.

Depends on what you mean by Indian pitches. On Indian roads, Jaddu is hardly lethal... he's only lethal on pitches that aid turn significantly. And I don't see why we need to pick between Dhawan, Jaddu and Binny. I'd even prefer a washed-up old player like Irfan above these 3 (and I say this knowing that Irfan is very far below his peak performances).

Once Hardik Pandya makes his debut in the T20 series,lots of questions will be answered.Is he really the hard hitting no 7 batsman who can be trusted to hit 6s,as he had hit in SMA tournament.If he bowl with 135  - 140 kmph speed with control & has variation to take wickets ,he will give much needed flexibility in both batting & bowling department.

Depends on what you mean by Indian pitches. On Indian roads, Jaddu is hardly lethal... he's only lethal on pitches that aid turn significantly. And I don't see why we need to pick between Dhawan, Jaddu and Binny. I'd even prefer a washed-up old player like Irfan above these 3 (and I say this knowing that Irfan is very far below his peak performances).

Well based on domestic form and fitness I have narrowed it down to those 3. I know there is Pandya as well in the mix, but I've never seen him play. Irfan would have been fine 5-6 years ago if he was managed properly but right now a lack of fitness and form put Irfan out of contention for me.

Once Hardik Pandya makes his debut in the T20 series,lots of questions will be answered.Is he really the hard hitting no 7 batsman who can be trusted to hit 6s,as he had hit in SMA tournament.If he bowl with 135  - 140 kmph speed with control & has variation to take wickets ,he will give much needed flexibility in both batting & bowling department.

Yes, it will be good to see all this hype resolved one way or another.

These are some very high expectations from a 22 year old rookie. I wont judge him based on these t20s overseas.

Well based on domestic form and fitness I have narrowed it down to those 3. I know there is Pandya as well in the mix, but I've never seen him play. Irfan would have been fine 5-6 years ago if he was managed properly but right now a lack of fitness and form put Irfan out of contention for me.

Aparajith had promised so much when he first entered the scene. I thought that India had found its ODI batting allrounder - he still has a solid List A record, but there's too many top and middle order options these days.

Aparajith had promised so much when he first entered the scene. I thought that India had found its ODI batting allrounder - he still has a solid List A record, but there's too many top and middle order options these days.

Aparajith is still worth putting into the side. Remember that with the amount of cricket these days, we can't always field our best side each match. Australia didn't field Starc, Hazelwood or Cummins and still won 4-1. We need to build up our bench strength so Aparajith is worth putting in for some matches. 

Aparajith is still worth putting into the side. Remember that with the amount of cricket these days, we can't always field our best side each match. Australia didn't field Starc, Hazelwood or Cummins and still won 4-1. We need to build up our bench strength so Aparajith is worth putting in for some matches. 

The problem is that Baba can't bat below 4 either... simply doesn't have enough of a quick scoring game. If he's to be given a chance, it would require dropping Pandey or Rahane and having Dhobi at 6. As we discussed earlier, not a very optimal choice. Moreover, baba's bowling has also regressed in List A - there was a time when that bowling avg was in low 20s. Now, he's gone from a batting allrounder to part-timer.

The problem is that Baba can't bat below 4 either... simply doesn't have enough of a quick scoring game. If he's to be given a chance, it would require dropping Pandey or Rahane and having Dhobi at 6. As we discussed earlier, not a very optimal choice. Moreover, baba's bowling has also regressed in List A - there was a time when that bowling avg was in low 20s. Now, he's gone from a batting allrounder to part-timer.

No but you don't have to drop Rahane or Pandey. We're buiding up bench strength so that requires rotating players. Even our top 3, as good as they are, need to have matches off otherwise they'll burn out. We should be trying Mayank Agarwal say for one or two matches (maybe in less important series') and look to build up their international cricket exposure.