Guess who gets dropped

Texan

1 hour ago, Cricketics said:

One thing for sure is that the 300 scored by Karun was very timely for him but he still has a lot to prove to Indian cricket fans about his ability to score in different conditions and in different times of the game, especially when team is struggling and are looking for p'ships. I am happy for the dude that he is able to secure his place and got another chance instead of getting dropped like some wanted him to after the first two games he played, but Karun's stats against Australia will have a huge impact on his career. He needs to add plenty of runs to his current total. He has secured his place for one full series for me by scoringn that 300 but he isn't a permanent answer yet.  I would like to see how he is doing at the end of BG series.

Yes , perfectly Explained. He has to prove himself before getting permanent position 

5 hours ago, jusarrived said:

Not based on these two innings , but having watched Karun closely he does tend to struggle in swinging conditions  , its always Rahul and Manish who scored for Karnataka on such pitches . His technique is no the most orthodox , infact the only batsmen he reminds me is of Flintoff , gives you a feeling he will keep the slips busy when there some movement .

Hes far from a FTB , he has his strenghts against spin and bounce , but I would definately not pick him ahead of Rahane . Two areas hes ahead of Rahane  is his ability to score big and his game against spin bowling , so on SC conditions hes better .Rahane though is a rare all conditions batsmen , I dont even think hes weak against spin . 

Nair needs to make a  definitive back and across movement before playing pacers....otherwise, he will end up playing away from the body on  pitches / conditions which offer movement.

On 12/21/2016 at 9:49 PM, New guy said:

Here's one more sobering fact. Umesh was preferred ahead of BK as supposedly the later cannot take much wickets with old ball. Of the 8 wickets Umesh took in the series, 5 were with a less than 15 over old ball. 2 of those old ball wickets were after the opposition scored 350+ and 400+

7 drops for Umesh. Umesh is a better bowler than his stats. 

On 12/22/2016 at 2:45 AM, Muloghonto said:

Since we are not playing one pacer but two minimum, all Bhuvi has to prove that relative to other candidates, he is qualified to represent India. 

That is what the stats show us.

You just proved my point, kiddo. You making statements like 'except the outlier, this is Bhuvi's stats' is by definition, cherry picking.

Your argument is misleading, because there is no set 'minimum criteria' to represent India as a player- you just have to be in the top 11 to legitimately claim being picked on merit. So, Bhuvi could average 22 with the ball and have 300 wickets and still be not good enough for India (be the 6th best bowler for e.g.) or he could have stats like 50 wickets from 30 matches @ 55.00 average and still be the best bowler. 

Therefore, if your argument is Player XYZ is good enough/not good enough to represent India or any team, it by DEFAULT is a comparison of all the options available.

Therefore, your argument that it is a false comparison with Umesh is wrong. (It is a comparison with everyone. Thats how we derive the best XI).

You picking and choosing your data to make an argument, is also meeting the definition of cherry picking.

Your argument about statistical outlier is irrelevant in cricketing terms, since anyone can then argue that if you took away all the 5 wicket hauls Kumble has in India- which are 25 innings in 115 innings, thus meeting the criteria for an 'outlier', then he too is a crappy bowler in India.

but he seems to qualify the outlier based on pitch conditions if that is proven it can indeed be an outlier.

I think the main problem with bk and yadav and even shami is they are all missing 1 key attribute which is what keeps them from being world class players. Yadav has everything except control, shami lacks fitness (imo) and bk has no pace/bounce. This means kumble and kohli probably have to be selective in how they select and bowls each bowler.

7 hours ago, Silva said:

I think the main problem with bk and yadav and even shami is they are all missing 1 key attribute which is what keeps them from being world class players. Yadav has everything except control, shami lacks fitness (imo) and bk has no pace/bounce. This means kumble and kohli probably have to be selective in how they select and bowls each bowler.

and Ishant has neither of these :aetsch:

On 12/27/2016 at 4:34 PM, Cricketics said:

One thing for sure is that the 300 scored by Karun was very timely for him but he still has a lot to prove to Indian cricket fans about his ability to score in different conditions and in different times of the game, especially when team is struggling and are looking for p'ships. I am happy for the dude that he is able to secure his place and got another chance instead of getting dropped like some wanted him to after the first two games he played, but Karun's stats against Australia will have a huge impact on his career. He needs to add plenty of runs to his current total. He has secured his place for one full series for me by scoringn that 300 but he isn't a permanent answer yet.  I would like to see how he is doing at the end of BG series.

Makes sense, he has done well, but Rahane has been one of our most consistent, he should come back in, but does that mean we play the extra batsman? One thing about Rahane though, he seemed a little unsure against the short-ball in the Newzeland series, even though he scored in that series he seemed uncomfortable, from the outside it seemed he was unsure whether to attack or defend, hopefully he'd sort it out by the time the next series comes up