The weird Indian customs discussion

Cricketics

So my cuzon returned from Bombay where he resides now, and was sharing how terrible the whole Ganesh Chathurthi Festival has become in India, and in particular Bomba where people have forgotten the meaning of the festival. 

I learned that the Ganesh Ji's murthi is sitting on a truck while truck is going and behind the truck people are dancing on weird songs like desi girl, or any latest hindi dance hit. 

What's going on?  I mean whats suppose to be a religious festival, people have changed the meaning of the whole thing. I am not a religious person myself, but I think this whole Ganesh Chathurthi Parade, in particular Bombay, seems quiet weird to me. I know these are old rituals and customs being continued, but I doubt back in the 90s people used to dance on crazy bolllywood numbers. 

What do you feel about this? Especially the one living in Bombay or those who are from there. 

This has become a thing in Bengaluru also now. Elders in my locality tell me that this was never the case here 2 decades back, Ganesh Chaturthi was more low key back then. This phenomenon is because of entry of Hindu organizations in the state, similar parades are also happening in Hyderabad and Chennai (in Periyar's land, in Murugan's land !!!!). Just like Tilak used these Ganesh festivals to mobilize Indian youth towards freedom struggle, BJP-RSS are using these festivals to awaken Hindu consciousness in our society. The more glamorous and fun you make these parades, the more youth they will attract.

I don't mind Bollywood numbers in these parades at all, youth want to have fun during festivals, why stop them? A happy society is a healthy society and these things happen only a few days in the year. Even Durgo Pujo in WB is similar, raunchy/high energy songs fill the air after evening and pandals are more about chick spotting and socializing than spiritual journey or admiring the beautiful sculptures/pandals . Even if people don't like these aspects I ask them this: Isn't celebrating like this better than slitting throats of 100s of animals in the middle of the street or lashing ones' back in groups of 1000s until the roads get a red tinge due to blood? Or worse talking out rallies taunting onlookers and damaging public property and instigating riots? Well that is how one religion celebrated its festivals in our country? Even if they are a tad excessive I will take Christmas parties and Hindu/Sikh celebrations over some other so called religious celebrations every single day of the week. 

Edited by Gollum

Yes it is a recent phenomenon because of the rise of hindu parties atleast in TN.

I don't even mind going through the streets as a procession ,I mean we even have similar procession for burials . What's really grating is immersing all these painted idols in rivers and seas creating soo much water pollution.

10 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Yes it is a recent phenomenon because of the rise of hindu parties atleast in TN.

I don't even mind going through the streets as a procession ,I mean we even have similar procession for burials . What's really grating is immersing all these painted idols in rivers and seas creating soo much water pollution.

thats the reaction towards the DMK antics :phehe:

durga stalin ;-)

26RAJATHIAMMAL_0_0_0.jpg

Edited by velu