'The Sinha Test' on BBC Radio 4

Sooda

Just listened to this today at 6.30, worth checking to see if it is availible on iPlayer for UK based ICFers. Not sure about availability overseas. I think it is a two-parter... Paul Sinha is a pretty funny comic, and this is a nice analysis of why he supports India despite being British born and bred, and the contradiction of supporting Eng at football but not cricket etc...summing up that effectively its a game and no reflection of how patriotic or not one is. The Name of the show is of course a take on the famous 'Tebbit test' http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012fs6y In April 1990, Norman Tebbit suggested that immigrants who supported their country of origin over the England at cricket were unpatriotic. The "Tebbit Test", as it became known, was always an over-simplification; there are lots of reasons why the immigrant community in Britain may not support England: apparently racist selection policies; leading players taking part in sanctions-busting tours of Apartheid-era South Africa; Britain's complicated and not always flattering colonial history; the fact that for fifteen years, England were simply rubbish. But is any of this still relevant? In July 2011, the Indian cricket team will arrive in England as the number one ranked team in the world. Over the course of five weeks an ageing but brilliant team containing the likes of Zaheer Khan, Virender Sehwag, Harbhajan Singh and possibly the greatest batsman to have ever played, Sachin Tendulkar, will compete against the young, improving team that includes Alistair Cook, Jimmy Anderson, Stuart Broad and Kevin Pietersen. In The Sinha Test stand-up comedian and cricket obsessive Paul Sinha - born in London to Indian parents - examines why he has been a lifelong India fan, despite considering himself "as British as a pub fight". Between the jokes he speaks to experts - a sociologist and a former Test cricketer - to see if he's alone in not always cheering on the country of his birth when it comes to cricket. Paul Sinha was nominated for the if.Comedy Award at the 2006 Edinburgh Festival, and more "Best Headliner" at the 2009 Chortle awards. His 2010 Edinburgh show, Extreme Anti-White Vitriol won five five-star and six four-star reviews. He is a regular guest on Radio 4's The Now Show and 5Live's Fighting Talk. Written and performed by Paul Sinha.

No probs Sach, CT...hope you liked it

whats percentage of Britain born desis support India over england?
Ha, PK is pretty much right. One of Sinhas best lines in the show is - Tebbit was wrong it is not most British Asians who support India when the play England, it is ALL of them. (words to that effect) You might get the rare guy who supports Eng, very rare though. It is hard to explain why. India is in many ways a foreign country to me, I struggle to speak to Auto Rickshaw drivers in Chennai things just work differently. Still theyre the team I support. One of the things he says is its because of Sachin that he supports India and that its like 'being married' in that you support who you parents choose lol. Also I thought he ends it by sitting on the fence a bit...effectively England have grown on him by being far more inclusive, racially speaking, with guys like Hussain and Ramprakash. He was also at the 83 WC final!!!

Interesting to listen to someone like Min Patel saying that he also supported India. I still remember Tendulkar smashing him for a six to get to a century in 1996. I'm pretty sure that Bopara and Monty would have also supported India when they were growing up. I've not met a person here with an Indian background who supports England in cricket. Pretty much everyone supports India.

Interesting to listen to someone like Min Patel saying that he also supported India. I still remember Tendulkar smashing him for a six to get to a century in 1996. I'm pretty sure that Bopara and Monty would have also supported India when they were growing up. I've not met a person here with an Indian background who supports England in cricket. Pretty much everyone supports India.
I thought that yknow. Its not that surprising I guess, but on the face of it youd expect players playing for England to have grown up supporting them. Im trying to Imagine Nasser Hussain supporting India as a lad, his dad used to play for Tamil Nadu. A good point Patel raises is that when playing sport nationalism is not that big a deal, youd take the chance to play Intl cricket and the money that comes with it whoever it is youre playing for. Im not sure how big a deal 'pride at representing your country' is.

It is brilliant. I think Sinha gets it exactly right. There is both fun and serious message. I know a arseeehole desi family who doesnt watch cricket and supports Liverpool. We are neighbours but I intentionally dont talk to him and other desi neighbours dont socialize with him. :finger: One thing is yet to be seen. What happens after Tendulkar retires? Will there be some realignment in desi brain? What if ECB finds some kid like Tendulkar to play for Britain?