The LunchBox- Movie starring Irfan Khan

trundlerNO1

Hey guy it is releasing on 20th September, want to promote this film, they deserve it rather shytes like CE and others. It has been appreciated everywhere, even American audience have loved this film Do watch this film ok :haha: Cannes,Telluride, Toronto, Sony Classics, Danis Tanovic, London FF BTeRBkTCYAAoU6o.jpgTelluride: Indian Oscar Hopeful 'The Lunchbox' Delivers Tasty Surprise 4:27 PM PDT 9/1/2013 by Scott Feinberg Ritesh Batra's charming feature directorial debut is one of the fan favorites at this year's fest and might be India's submission for the foreign language film Oscar. The Lunchbox Cannes Critics Week Still - H 2013 "The Lunchbox" One of the big fan favorites of the 40th Telluride Flm fest has been Ritesh Batra's feature directorial debut The Lunchbox, an Indian-Hindi film -- known in India as Dabba -- that I caught up with this morning at the Werner Herzog Theatre. The film, which was made with the guidance of the Sundance Institute and premiered back in May as part of the International Critics' Week competition at the Cannes Film Festival, is set in Mumbai and focuses on an unlikely relationship that develops through dabbawala, or the lunchbox service that transports lunch to office workers in India. To me, the film is reminiscent of The Shop Around the Corner (1940) or You've Got Mail (1997) -- only with food instead of letters or emails. Sony Pictures Classics will release the film later this year, and it seems likely that the film will be India's submission in this year's best foreign language film Oscar race. OUR EDITOR RECOMMENDS The Lunchbox: Cannes Review Plane Carrying 'Salinger' Team Crash Lands at Telluride Airport The Invisible Woman: Telluride Review CANNES REVIEW: The Lunchbox The film focuses on a grumpy old widower on the brink of retirement after 35 years as a government claims processor (the great vet Irrfan Khan) and a young wife and mother whose husband barely notices her anymore (beautiful up-and-comer Nimrat Kaur). These two lonely souls, who live in a sprawling and overpopulated city in which it's easy to feel forgotten, cross paths in the most unlikely of ways: when the lunch that she prepares for daily delivery to her husband is mistakenly redirected to him, and this becomes apparent to her, and they begin a correspondence -- via the lunchbox. The film features cute humor -- for instance, a never seen auntie who lives a floor above and has an opinion to share about everything -- and fetishizes food in a way that will send you out of the theater rushing for the nearest restaurant, not unlike the recent doc Jiro Dreams of Sushi (2011). http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/telluride-indian-oscar-hopeful-lunchbox-619066 Times of India Will Lunchbox make it to the Oscars? Aseem Chhabra, Mumbai Mirror | Sep 8, 2013, 03.53 PM IST Will Lunchbox make it to the Oscars? A still from the movie RELATED Irrfan Khan watches LuciaIrrfan, Nawazuddin's 'The Lunchbox' in Toronto'The Lunchbox' must be India's frontrunner for Oscar: Karan Johar'The Lunchbox' wins at film fest in Amsterdam'Slumdog Millionaire' girl makes Tamil debut Something remarkable happened to a little Indian film last week. At the recently concluded 40th Telluride Film Festival first time filmmaker Ritesh Batra's sweet and delicate film The Lunchbox was a surprise hit. The festival organisers had planned four screenings of The Lunchbox. But the word-of-mouth for the film - starring Irrfan Khan, Nimrat Kaur and Nawazuddin Siddiqui - was so strong, that the festival organizers added three more shows of The Lunchbox, including one sold out screening at the new 650-seat Werner Herzog theatre. I actually heard that a quite a few people were shut off from the theatre. I have been following Indian cinema in the US for many years and this is the first time, since Monsoon Wedding, that I had people ask me "Are you from India? Did you see The Lunchbox? Wasn't it lovely?" Again and again last week people - mostly Americans at the Telluride festival, asked me that question. They felt the need to talk about the film. The Telluride festival does not give out awards, not even an audience choice award. But many people told me that The Lunchbox was their favorite film at the festival. ​There were a few other times that people in the US - especially New Yorkers have related to Indian films. I can think of The Namesake, but that was based on a best selling Indian American novel; and Slumdog Millionaire,but that for all practical purposes was not an Indian film. There are smart people running Sony Pictures Classics, although they have been cautious with picking Indian films. They experimented with Lagaan, after that film's run in the Indian Diaspora market. But Lagaan was a test case that did not go very well. Twelve years later, Sony Pictures Classics did well to pick another Indian film, sensing rightly that The Lunchbox would crossover and appeal to those who go see art-house movies. And that is why I feel India will do good to send The Lunchbox at its official entry for foreign language Oscar race. On Friday, Anne Thompson, the respectable journalist with Indiewire watched The Lunchbox at a press screening at the Toronto International Film Festival. Later that afternoon this is what she wrote: "In all likelihood, India will submit yet another big-budget Bollywood film for the Oscar." But she said India would do well to pick The Lunchbox. "It has heart," she added. 2013 has been a good year for Hindi cinema. I was blown away by Ship of Theseus and it is remarkable how well it was received in parts of India. Kai Po Che, was a success at the Berlin Film Festival and it was a thoroughly likeable film about close male friendships during trying times. I am sure there are some strong regional films that could represent Indian cinema in 2013. This year in New York I saw a number of very impressive Marathi films-Anumati, Investment, Pune 52, Fandry and Dhag. Each of these films could easily be picked as India's official entry for the Oscars. And I will not quarrel with the decision. But I still feel The Lunchbox should be India's official selection. Most countries are going through the process of picking their official entries. There has never been a sure shot formula on how the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences nominates foreign language films. And I do not have a crystal ball to predict that The Lunchbox will certainly be nominated among the final five films. This much is clear. Batra's film may be a quintessential Mumbai story. But The Lunchbox has all the right elements to make it appeal to Americans - the charm, the tender connection between two lonely souls who have never met, the right amount of humor, and Irrfan Khan, definitely the most recognizable Indian actor in the US, thanks to films like Slumdog Millionaire and The Namesake. In all likelihood it should appeal to the Academy as well. India's picks for the foreign language Oscar race have rarely been good. But in selecting The Lunchbox India will make the right choice. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- New York times put this as the Oscar contender

Modern urban loneliness is also among the themes of “The Lunchbox,†the deft and charming first feature by Ritesh Batra. He uses Mumbai’s lunch-delivery system — which transports thousands of meals every day from kitchens to offices — as the background for a quasi-romantic fable that might be thought of as an Indian variation on “You’ve Got Mail.†An unhappy housewife (Nimraut Kaur) and a mopey accountant (the indispensable Irrfan Khan), accidentally linked by a rare glitch in the delivery process, begin a culinary and epistolary friendship that is traced with a perfect balance of tact and sentimentality.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/03/arts/at-telluride-festival-a-redford-solo-and-other-previews.html?smid=tw-nytmovies&seid=auto&_r=4&

Sony Pictures Classics Picks Up ‘Lunchbox’ (EXCLUSIVE] RIesh Batra's feature debut appeared in Cannes Critics' Week Elsa Keslassy @elsakeslassy Sony Pictures Classics has acquired all North American rights to Ritesh Batra’s feature debut “The Lunchbox,” a Cannes Critics’ Week standout. A feel-good romantic comedy with culinary accents, pic stars Indian vet thesp Irrfan Khan (“Life of Pi”) as a solitary widower on the eve of retirement, and rising star Nimrat Kaur as a neglected housewife who connect thanks to a wrongly delivered lunchbox. Repped by Germany’s The Match Factory, the Mumbai-set crowd-pleaser got a standing ovation following its Cannes unspooling. “’The Lunchbox’ marks a departure from traditional Bollywood melodramas that make up the bulk of Indian production,” Critics’ Week topper Charles Tesson told Variety. “It’s a refreshing and utterly charming comedy that could have been made in Hollywood.” Variety’s reviewer, Jay Weissberg, praised the film. “The ingredients on their own are nearly fail-proof, yet it’s the way Batra combines food with an epistolary romance between a nearly retired number cruncher and a neglected wife that hits all the right tastebuds.” “Lunchbox” was produced by India’s Sikhya Entertainment and Dar Motion Pictures and NFDC, Germany’s ROH Films, France’s ASAP Films and the U.S.’s Cine Mosaic. Guneet Monga of Sikhya Entertainment said the Sony Pictures Classics’ acquisition “bolsters (her) belief in good films and encourages the new wave of Indian Cinema. (…) Being associated with SPC for the first Indian-French-German co-production truly marks this as a celebration of International Cinema from India.” “‘The Lunchbox’ is one of those enchanting movies that will have audiences and critics floating on air. We are so happy to be bringing this movie to the American public. This movie represents the birth of a major international filmmaker,” states Sony Pictures Classics, which is topped by Michael Barker and Tom Bernard. This deal, negotiated by Michael Weber of The Match Factory, continues Sony Pictures Classics’ long relationship with The Match Factory and Weber, most recently with the films “Fill The Void” and “Wadjda.” At Cannes, SPC also acquired all U.S. rights to Iranian helmer Asghar Farhadi’s Paris-set drama “The Past,” starring Berenice Bejo and Tahar Rahim, which is vying for a Palme d’Or. SPC has a strong track record when it comes to acquiring foreign arthouse films with strong Oscar potential. Last year, it nabbed Michael Haneke’s “Amour,” which was nominated for five Oscar nods and won best foreign-language film. Gaul’s Happiness Distribution also picked up ”Lunchbox.” It is one of four Indian entries that bowed at Cannes, which is celebrating 100 years of Indian cinema. http://variety.com/2013/film/news/sony-pictures-classics-picks-up-lunchbox-exclusive-1200487504/

Taking him to a movie of your choice on his birthday? :poink: Emotional ataychaar mein kaafi ability hai aapki! :adore:
He is clueless about movies.....:giggle:Took him to Delhi Belly last time.He sat looking at me laughing my guts out,too shocked that I found the potty humor so funny. It wasn't his B'day that time waisay.:--D Even I have to sit through stupid 3d action movies.:sniffle:

He is clueless about movies.....:giggle:
Zara cell phone number bhejingi aap unka, so I can let him know what you think about his movie sense? :icflove:
Took him to Delhi Belly last time.He sat looking at me laughing my guts out,too shocked that I found the potty humor so funny. It wasn't his B'day that time waisay.:--D
Haan I get the point. Last time he was not tortured enough so this time you are covering all bases.
Even I have to sit through stupid 3d action movies.:sniffle:
I hate them from the core of my heart.:two_thumbs_up:

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: I 100% knew this one would be in the list. Are there any other cartoons which they like? What is the in-cartoon trend?
cabby is right....our cartoons were so much better. She gets to watch only one hr of tv(which means I can't watch any cricket too :(()We get only Pogo and cartoon network.She usually ends up watching Chota bhim...sometimes poer puff girls ...but bheem is favorite. I am dreading the day she starts using the laptop....then my days of hanging around this forum are over...strict curfew will have to be followed.

cabby is right....our cartoons were so much better. She gets to watch only one hr of tv(which means I can't watch any cricket too :(()We get only Pogo and cartoon network.She usually ends up watching Chota bhim...sometimes poer puff girls ...but bheem is favorite. I am dreading the day she starts using the laptop....then my days of hanging around this forum are over...strict curfew will have to be followed.
People always find their era of cartoons better. Anyways, Chhota Bheem seems to be a craze these days with Ben10 around as well. Power puff girls is an "our generation cartoon" btw - in fact I think it is developed by Cartoon Network along with Dexter, Courage the Cowardly Dog etc. Laptop should be easy to handle with the parental control options and with smartphones things shouldn't be that difficult. Btw, try out Shin Chan - you may enjoy the cartoon with her as well. Tom and Jerry may be another cool one - there are some good animation movies. Monster Inc, Shrek, Bugs Life come to my mind. :two_thumbs_up:

People always find their era of cartoons better. Anyways, Chhota Bheem seems to be a craze these days with Ben10 around as well. Power puff girls is an "our generation cartoon" btw - in fact I think it is developed by Cartoon Network along with Dexter, Courage the Cowardly Dog etc. Laptop should be easy to handle with the parental control options and with smartphones things shouldn't be that difficult. Btw, try out Shin Chan - you may enjoy the cartoon with her as well. Tom and Jerry may be another cool one - there are some good animation movies. Monster Inc, Shrek, Bugs Life come to my mind. :two_thumbs_up:
I was thinking about Jetsons and Flintstones :p and classics like tom and jerry and Looney toons and even cartoon network ones were cool but now a days I see my cousins watching them it gives me headache and I still watch some anime's but I guess its different :p Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 4