BCCI announces India squad for Champions Trophy 2017

Is the Indian CT2017 squad selection satisfactory?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Are you overall happy with the CT2017 indian Squad?

• Yes
    • No

17 hours ago, Vk1 said:

I have a feeling that msk prasad and team have gone by conventional English pitches notion where the ball swings and seams even in Odis. Guess they haven't seen jos Butler or Jason Roy or Hales heroics in the last two years especially the marquee series against kiwis 

Naah.  While I agree that they went conservative with their choices, its not like there were really obvious choices available.  All the contenders that didn't make it, made it easy for them to be excluded with their inconsistency.  All of them have their own set of question-marks - that makes it difficult for selectors to just take a gamble on them, particularly in a knock-out tournament.   

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

Of course Rohit is an incumbent opener.  And that's not a quota - its performance driven.  Go check the ODI opener stats across all teams in the last few years - he will be up there in the top 3 openers in the world.  No matter how you slice the stats.   And I agree - there shouldn't be 'quota' system to select players.  But you need to realize that we don't want our team to set a precedent where a good player loses his spot simply because he got injured while playing for the team - such a culture will produce players who put self before team - not exactly the type of culture you want to incentivize.  You want players who believe that they will be protected if they get injured playing for the team cause, and will get rewarded for playing self-lessly.    You keep throwing words like "lazy", and these are all subjective.   Rohit frustrates me as well, but try and be objective, rise above your personal feelings about him as a player, and you will start realizing that he has actually been world-class as ODI opener for India in the last few years.   That's not to say he's flawless - he's frustratingly slow starting off the blocks.  And needs to improve that, but to say that he doesn't deserve being selected if fit and in decent form - is the opposite of being "objective".

On Dhawan, and the comparison to Gambhir - why so ga-ga over Gambhir?  As a matter of non-subjective fact, both players play the same role for their franchise - the steady top order bat - not the guy that attacks, but the guy that holds one end up and lays the platform.  And the IPL 2017 numbers objectively show that Dhawan has actually outperformed Gambhir - in total runs as well as strike rate.  Again, its a case of your perception outweighing the facts.  Go check Dhawan's stats in the last 5 ODIs he has played, and then come back and try to tell me, that he's not good enough.   And as far as playing bounce is concerned - you really need to examine both players game closely - Dhawan's technique actually shines on bouncier tracks where the ball gets higher up into his hitting arc - and Gambo's game was never equipped to handle bounce well.    

Ofcourse Rohit is not an incumbent opener and I'll explain why again and again not everything is subjective but then again not everything is objective as well.     What is Incumbent ?   Necessary for someone as a duty. For India , Rohit is a good option to open with but he again like any player is replaceable and someone who needs to maintain his place on merit and hence not incumbent.  If this was Pakistan or Zimbawe - I'd consider him incumbent but with batting lineups stretching a mile long - there are plenty of options which does not mean he's necessary.

He has done a good job but I agree with your point that we do not want a culture where a good players loses his sport just simply because he got injured.  Also, similarly, we do not want a culture where there is a quota system where a player returning from injury also gets into a team without having to fight for it.   Do you think a culture where regardless of how well you perform, if you'd be asked to step aside and make room for a player returning from injury regardless of what you have to offer to the team and how you are performing is a step forward ?  What incentive does it give a player to work hard when they know that as soon as someone is returning from an injury they'd be booted off?   To maintain a competitive standard its important that no one gets complacent and any player returning from an injury does play some domestic and show some form before expressing his way back into the team.

Dhawan and Gambhir have performed quite identically in the current IPL , there's negligible difference between them.   So your objective comparison that you think tilts this in favor of Dhawan isn't quite credible.   The different in runs scored is 17 runs ....and  .12 in SR

So this isn't my perception outweighing the facts , I am giving as much weightage to the facts as I think they deserve but underlining a 17 run difference as a 200 run difference or comparing day and night wouldn't change the fact that they have negligible difference with Gambhir has a higher Average and more 50s.    The question isn't whether Dhawan is good or not and when you ask good enough , then good enough when compared to who?   What measuring stick are you using ?

Gambhir has out performed Dhawan in the domestics and superior in certain parameters in the IPL so objectively also there is as much case for Gambhir to be in the team as Dhawan.     As for the technique's ...This is purely subjective and we might have different opinions on that which would be hard to agree upon 

6 minutes ago, bleaf27 said:

Ofcourse Rohit is not an incumbent opener and I'll explain why again and again not everything is subjective but then again not everything is objective as well.     What is Incumbent ?   Necessary for someone as a duty. For India , Rohit is a good option to open with but he again like any player is replaceable and someone who needs to maintain his place on merit and hence not incumbent.  If this was Pakistan or Zimbawe - I'd consider him incumbent but with batting lineups stretching a mile long - there are plenty of options which does not mean he's necessary.

He has done a good job but I agree with your point that we do not want a culture where a good players loses his sport just simply because he got injured.  Also, similarly, we do not want a culture where there is a quota system where a player returning from injury also gets into a team without having to fight for it.   Do you think a culture where regardless of how well you perform, if you'd be asked to step aside and make room for a player returning from injury regardless of what you have to offer to the team and how you are performing is a step forward ?  What incentive does it give a player to work hard when they know that as soon as someone is returning from an injury they'd be booted off?   To maintain a competitive standard its important that no one gets complacent and any player returning from an injury does play some domestic and show some form before expressing his way back into the team.

Dhawan and Gambhir have performed quite identically in the current IPL , there's negligible difference between them.   So your objective comparison that you think tilts this in favor of Dhawan isn't quite credible.   The different in runs scored is 17 runs ....and  .12 in SR

So this isn't my perception outweighing the facts , I am giving as much weightage to the facts as I think they deserve but underlining a 17 run difference as a 200 run difference or comparing day and night wouldn't change the fact that they have negligible difference with Gambhir has a higher Average and more 50s.    The question isn't whether Dhawan is good or not and when you ask good enough , then good enough when compared to who?   What measuring stick are you using ?

Gambhir has out performed Dhawan in the domestics and superior in certain parameters in the IPL so objectively also there is as much case for Gambhir to be in the team as Dhawan.     As for the technique's ...This is purely subjective and we might have different opinions on that which would be hard to agree upon 

2 simple questions:

1.  who is the "better alternative" compared to Rohit for ODI opener?

2.  By what "parameters" is Gambhir superior to Dhawan in the IPL?  Let's leave captaincy out of it, because that spot is already filled in the Indian ODI team.   

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

2 simple questions:

1.  who is the "better alternative" compared to Rohit for ODI opener?

2.  By what "parameters" is Gambhir superior to Dhawan in the IPL?  Let's leave captaincy out of it, because that spot is already filled in the Indian ODI team.   

1. Rohit is a good option but I'd say KL Rahul , Dhawan, Gambhir ,Rohit and possibly Rahane, Pandey .   Ofcourse Rahul is injured and Rohit's form post his injury has not been assessed.      I see Rohit/ Dhawan and Gambhir having the strongest case. 
  2. Gambhir isn't superior to Dhawan but on par with him as far as IPL goes.   He's been superior in the domestic circuit.  So people who are advocating for Dhawan to be a part of CT as a "given" or a certaininty-  that really isn't the case and it should have been a toss up , a much closer competition between Dhawan and Gambhir. But from the reports if Gambhir wasn't even discussed and Dhawan was given the spot on a platter, I find that quite odd
35 minutes ago, bleaf27 said:
  1. Rohit is a good option but I'd say KL Rahul , Dhawan, Gambhir ,Rohit and possibly Rahane, Pandey .   Ofcourse Rahul is injured and Rohit's form post his injury has not been assessed.      I see Rohit/ Dhawan and Gambhir having the strongest case. 
  2. Gambhir isn't superior to Dhawan but on par with him as far as IPL goes.   He's been superior in the domestic circuit.  So people who are advocating for Dhawan to be a part of CT as a "given" or a certaininty-  that really isn't the case and it should have been a toss up , a much closer competition between Dhawan and Gambhir. But from the reports if Gambhir wasn't even discussed and Dhawan was given the spot on a platter, I find that quite odd

Rahane ahead of Rohit for ODIs?  You contradict yourself so much in this post, just accept it and move on.  Can't argue for Gambhir over Dhawan in one breath, and claim that Dhawan is a better option than Rohit in the other.   I mean you canbut just causes loss of credibility.  

8 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Rahane ahead of Rohit for ODIs?  You contradict yourself so much in this post, just accept it and move on.  Can't argue for Gambhir over Dhawan in one breath, and claim that Dhawan is a better option than Rohit in the other.   I mean you canbut just causes loss of credibility.  

How am I contraindicating ?   I'll rephrase for you -   Rahane, KL Rahul , Gambhir , Dhawan and Rohit are in the pool to be picked from.   

Like I said, it is subjective,  You are quite pleased with Dhawan and I feel Gambhir makes as strong a case for himself as Dhawan, if not stronger. 

Again my credbility is not to be assessed by you by any standards.  Your views are solely yours just like mine and as redundant you may find my views, I may see yours in a similar way.  I've provided you the IPL stats for Gambhir and his domestic scores can be checked to see how superior they can be.

As for Rohit, I'v already stated -  his position is to be earned - not to be presented on a silver platter

14 minutes ago, bleaf27 said:

How am I contraindicating ?   I'll rephrase for you -   Rahane, KL Rahul , Gambhir , Dhawan and Rohit are in the pool to be picked from.   

Like I said, it is subjective,  You are quite pleased with Dhawan and I feel Gambhir makes as strong a case for himself as Dhawan, if not stronger. 

Again my credbility is not to be assessed by you by any standards.  Your views are solely yours just like mine and as redundant you may find my views, I may see yours in a similar way.  I've provided you the IPL stats for Gambhir and his domestic scores can be checked to see how superior they can be.

As for Rohit, I'v already stated -  his position is to be earned - not to be presented on a silver platter

Dude, you claimed Gambhir is superior to Dhawan in this IPL by certain parameters.  Which ones?   Stats aside, simply watching the 2 of them bat, one can very easily tell which one of them is handling pace better while which one is filling boots against spin.   And claiming Rahane is a meaningfully better option as ODI opener in place of Rohit also stretches your credibility.  Fair enough that I'm no judge of anyone's credibility - its just an exchange of opinions.  

I can't believe I'm having to defend Talunt's selection - regulars on this forum know how much of a hard time I give his one obsessed fan here.   A fit Rohit walks into ANY ODI team in the world - not just India.   Put that bleaf in your pipe and smoke it!:aetsch:

Difference in opinion aside, you seem to be a recent addition to ICF - welcome.   Good to have fans who care enough to post their detailed opinions on board.

3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Dude, you claimed Gambhir is superior to Dhawan in this IPL by certain parameters.  Which ones?   Stats aside, simply watching the 2 of them bat, one can very easily tell which one of them is handling pace better while which one is filling boots against spin.   And claiming Rahane is a meaningfully better option as ODI opener in place of Rohit also stretches your credibility.  Fair enough that I'm no judge of anyone's credibility - its just an exchange of opinions.  

I can't believe I'm having to defend Talunt's selection - regulars on this forum know how much of a hard time I give his one obsessed fan here.   A fit Rohit walks into ANY ODI team in the world - not just India.   Put that bleaf in your pipe and smoke it!:aetsch:

Difference in opinion aside, you seem to be a recent addition to ICF - welcome.   Good to have fans who care enough to post their detailed opinions on board.

Wow lad ,  It's quite redundant and I've point it before but Gambhir has more 50s and a higher Average atm than Dhawan so I think that was what I was mentioning if you missed it the first time.   Again,   one can easily tell ?  I think it's fair that you realize that possibly only you can tell because you speak for yourself - so your opinion is solely yours , not anyone else's.    

Again, I'll repeat myself for the third time    -    Manish, Rahane,  Gambhir , Dhawan and Rohit are in the pool to be picked from.    -  are you equating someone being in consideration to be picked, as me implying one being better than the other ?  I am not making a case for who's better -  My point is simply against the practice of letting any injured player back into the side without playing domestic or proving his form regardless of who it is.   And secondly,   Dhawan's place in the side is being seen as a "given" and the cold shoulder given to Gambhir despite equally performance in the IPL and better performance in the domestic is looking horrible. 

Haha mate you must be fan girl of Sharma but gladly I don't have distinction for any Indian cricketer barring Sachin so I'm good.   A fit Rohit may walk into any ODI in the world to quite possibly be walked out from another door as he definitely wouldn't be a part of any ODI in the world for sure.    I'd say Amla/ du Plessis/  Warner/ABD  make a better case for themselves.  

But thank you for welcoming !  Yeah recently picked up this as a hobby to share my views, usually I just browsed and never bothered to post. 

7 minutes ago, bleaf27 said:

Wow lad ,  It's quite redundant and I've point it before but Gambhir has more 50s and a higher Average atm than Dhawan so I think that was what I was mentioning if you missed it the first time.   Again,   one can easily tell ?  I think it's fair that you realize that possibly only you can tell because you speak for yourself - so your opinion is solely yours , not anyone else's.    

Again, I'll repeat myself for the third time    -    Manish, Rahane,  Gambhir , Dhawan and Rohit are in the pool to be picked from.    -  are you equating someone being in consideration to be picked, as me implying one being better than the other ?  I am not making a case for who's better -  My point is simply against the practice of letting any injured player back into the side without playing domestic or proving his form regardless of who it is.   And secondly,   Dhawan's place in the side is being seen as a "given" and the cold shoulder given to Gambhir despite equally performance in the IPL and better performance in the domestic is looking horrible. 

Haha mate you must be fan girl of Sharma but gladly I don't have distinction for any Indian cricketer barring Sachin so I'm good.   A fit Rohit may walk into any ODI in the world to quite possibly be walked out from another door as he definitely wouldn't be a part of any ODI in the world for sure.    I'd say Amla/ du Plessis/  Warner/ABD  make a better case for themselves.  

But thank you for welcoming !  Yeah recently picked up this as a hobby to share my views, usually I just browsed and never bothered to post. 

So If I point out the fact that Rohit Sharma is the best ODI opener in cricket by any reasonable metric, that makes me a "fan girl"?  If you look at statistics for ODI openers in the last 3 years - and rank them by average * Strike rate, you will see that Rohit is comfortably on top.   Ahead of even Warner.  

Even if you open up the comparison to all top order batsmen, Rohit is still in the top 2 - only bested by ABDV.   So inspite of outperforming every batsman other than ABDV in ODI cricket, Rohit is not an automatic pick?   Don't let you bias against Talunt blind you - the guy is an absolute stud in ODIs.  Still a frustrating underachiever in my opinion, but an automatic pick.   

Careful with the name-calling and insults btw leafy, you'll quickly wear out the newbie welcome that way.  

24 minutes ago, sandeep said:

So If I point out the fact that Rohit Sharma is the best ODI opener in cricket by any reasonable metric, that makes me a "fan girl"?  If you look at statistics for ODI openers in the last 3 years - and rank them by average * Strike rate, you will see that Rohit is comfortably on top.   Ahead of even Warner.  

Even if you open up the comparison to all top order batsmen, Rohit is still in the top 2 - only bested by ABDV.   So inspite of outperforming every batsman other than ABDV in ODI cricket, Rohit is not an automatic pick?   Don't let you bias against Talunt blind you - the guy is an absolute stud in ODIs.  Still a frustrating underachiever in my opinion, but an automatic pick.   

Careful with the name-calling and insults btw leafy, you'll quickly wear out the newbie welcome that way.  

Calm down bud -  No Insults intended there and never been comfortable with extended welcomes so not too bothered about that.

Rohit sharma is a good opener , him being the best ODI opener is not a fact , it is your mere opinion.  Can you provide the stats because I'd disagree -  Warner, ABD , Amla definitely rate higher for me in ODIs , I could name a few more but you wouldn't like that much .

I am not biased against him,  I just do not worship him and do not over hype him.  He's a good batsman but that's about it -  not an automatic selection or best ODI opener by any chance. 

Just now, bleaf27 said:

Calm down bud -  No Insults intended there and never been comfortable with extended welcomes so not too bothered about that.

Rohit sharma is a good opener , him being the best ODI opener is not a fact , it is your mere opinion.  Can you provide the stats because I'd disagree -  Warner, ABD , Amla definitely rate higher for me in ODIs , I could name a few more but you wouldn't like that much .

I am not biased against him,  I just do not worship him and do not over hype him.  He's a good batsman but that's about it -  not an automatic selection or best ODI opener by any chance. 

Dude, I detest Rohit Sharma, so no question of worship or hype.   Rohit averages 60+ with SR of 99+ - No other opener apart from Warner is close.   You can change the filter in the link below to include batsmen who bat top 5 - and you'll see that apart from ABDV's freakish domination, Rohit is the next best batsman in ODI cricket.   Its not opinion, but hard fact based on numbers.  And Rohit averages 75 away from home.  Faf's numbers are also excelllent, but Amla's not even close - he's been nowhere near as good in the last couple of years.    You can name anybody you want - its not a question of me "liking" it or not.  You have to substantiate your claim - and I'm perfectly willing to be proven wrong.

As much as I love Rahane the test batsman, the guy has been ordinary in ODIs, poor even.   There is no way you can put him in the same pool as Rohit.  

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_positionmax1=2;batting_positionmin1=1;batting_positionval1=batting_position;class=2;filter=advanced;orderby=runs;qualmin1=1000;qualval1=runs;spanmax1=11+May+2017;spanmin1=11+May+2014;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

5 hours ago, sandeep said:

Naah.  While I agree that they went conservative with their choices, its not like there were really obvious choices available.  All the contenders that didn't make it, made it easy for them to be excluded with their inconsistency.  All of them have their own set of question-marks - that makes it difficult for selectors to just take a gamble on them, particularly in a knock-out tournament.   

What consistency did shikhar n rahane show? it's not a world cup..Just champions trophy and you can easily blood youngsters like pant or kuldeep for that x factor 

51 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Dude, I detest Rohit Sharma, so no question of worship or hype.   Rohit averages 60+ with SR of 99+ - No other opener apart from Warner is close.   You can change the filter in the link below to include batsmen who bat top 5 - and you'll see that apart from ABDV's freakish domination, Rohit is the next best batsman in ODI cricket.   Its not opinion, but hard fact based on numbers.  And Rohit averages 75 away from home.  Faf's numbers are also excelllent, but Amla's not even close - he's been nowhere near as good in the last couple of years.    You can name anybody you want - its not a question of me "liking" it or not.  You have to substantiate your claim - and I'm perfectly willing to be proven wrong.

As much as I love Rahane the test batsman, the guy has been ordinary in ODIs, poor even.   There is no way you can put him in the same pool as Rohit.  

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_positionmax1=2;batting_positionmin1=1;batting_positionval1=batting_position;class=2;filter=advanced;orderby=runs;qualmin1=1000;qualval1=runs;spanmax1=11+May+2017;spanmin1=11+May+2014;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

I am definitely not equating Rahane and Rohit  -   I stated the available pool of players we had to pick up for the CT as openers and from that pool  - I said it would be among Dhawan , Sharma and Gambhir.

Now when I did the research for the past 12 months when chasing -  

Rohit Sharma averages 13.25 ,  If its correct in ODI's , whereas Warner is 50.60 and De Kock and Guptill both with much much higher averages than Sharma.  

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_fielding_first=2;batting_hand=1;batting_hand=2;batting_positionmax1=2;batting_positionmin1=1;batting_positionval1=batting_position;class=2;filter=advanced;orderby=runs;player_involve=46933;player_involve=48405;player_involve=48739;player_involve=58406;player_involve=9952;spanmax1=11+May+2017;spanmin1=11+May+2016;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

1 hour ago, bleaf27 said:

Let me start by saying its well knwn i dnt like rohit sharma a bit

But as of now he is an automatic choice .......

Any of his hater will also say he is an automatic pick after kohli 

On 5/9/2017 at 5:48 PM, vvvslaxman said:

Dinesh Karthik is a good fielder as well. They could have picked him given his form

the guy is an international choker. He chokes everytime after performing well on domestic or warmup games. Nothing wud be gained for future by bringing players like uthappa, dk, gambhir, bhajji back

About his fielding once naseer said rightly he takes blinder and drops dollies. So he isnt safe in field either

1 hour ago, bleaf27 said:

I am definitely not equating Rahane and Rohit  -   I stated the available pool of players we had to pick up for the CT as openers and from that pool  - I said it would be among Dhawan , Sharma and Gambhir.

Now when I did the research for the past 12 months when chasing -  

Rohit Sharma averages 13.25 ,  If its correct in ODI's , whereas Warner is 50.60 and De Kock and Guptill both with much much higher averages than Sharma.  

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?batting_fielding_first=2;batting_hand=1;batting_hand=2;batting_positionmax1=2;batting_positionmin1=1;batting_positionval1=batting_position;class=2;filter=advanced;orderby=runs;player_involve=46933;player_involve=48405;player_involve=48739;player_involve=58406;player_involve=9952;spanmax1=11+May+2017;spanmin1=11+May+2016;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

:facepalm:A sample set of 4 odi matches :laugh1:

19 hours ago, bleaf27 said:

I'd disagree with most of somewhat half of what you've said so I'd like to break down your argyment

1. Rohit is not an incumbent opener  -  In India atleast , If he had been playing for Pakistan wherei there is a serious dearth for talent then sure I can see Rohit walkign into sde after a injury without proving himself.  But post injury - No player should be given a status quo for a reserved seat to just walk in.  It's best to keep the sports away from a quota system.  He had been doing well but you just do not let a player walk into the side especially going into an important international tournament without proving your form .  Rohit is talented but it's quite notorious for being playing lazy and willpower would outdo skill any given day.   Jus like Tendulkar was past his prime or Dhoni is getting older now,   Gambhir may be past the prime age for a cricketer but then again what is prime ? Nehra at close to 38 or so still brings in more experience and ability to win big games than Ishant Sharma.   If Yuvi can be selected in the side ,  I do not see the reason of being past prime as a reason for Gambhir
  2. In 2016 Dhawan has been relatively quiet.   Given that KL Rahul is injured ,  I would be going in for Gambhir over Dhawan

Again this is quite subjective,  You may view Dhawan better than Gambhit but I don't see it that way.  I find Gambhir a much more committed and complete player than Dhawan and atleast for CT could have been a better choice.   He's done quite well in this IPL and bring in the level of playing a mature innings that Dhawan rarely shows.   Gambhir is playing Southpaw more so because of keeping the ability to counter the bouncers which Ganguly struggled with because of his stance .

Well the protocol has been simple from team mngmt that u have to comeback from an.injury with match practice not necessarily perfomance. Key players are not earning their place as they hav already done. Rohit has scored few in ipl,  n hey match at edens is coming so in coming he ll score few more. 

Before ct begins he ll already have 16-17 ipl games plus 2 warmup games and thats more then enough. 

A key players like him walks in the team with that.

Gambhir vs dhawan- gambhir was brilliant odi player till 2012 then he lost it. He always scores runs in international yet when it comes to international in recent times he has been awefull. The last time he batted in england he cudnt even touch the ball. Now i knw formats were diff but still u shud touch the ball, btw ipl  is also a diff format. Add to that due to his he has become slow in field. We already have so many slow fielders. With his new stance he wnt survive international bowling from all ends . Gambhir as international batsman was finished long ago

Dhawan has been an integral part of the team. He is among runs and with rahul injured he is the next best choice. Dhawan is overly criticised but he has a better record than gambhir. Yes even i want a change in opening pair but as for ct dhawan  isour best option with batting and fielding than gambhir. Also CT will have flat decks that were both dhawan n rohit become lethal. 

No one wud here gambhir on squad forget him over dhawan only