Any canadian ICFers from the toronto area?

sandeep

4 hours ago, Vilander said:

lol its 4$ change meaning 3 in USD. The toll charge is based on distance. You can purchase a transponder and the camera charge is removed.

Yes, it is only $4. But I felt that the cost is kinda weird since they anyways have the cameras fixed and they do photograph for most cars (without a transponder). 

Also, there is a cost associated with buying a transponder. Why will someone not living in GTA need that for a usually not frequently required 407. 

Also, if I remember correctly, there is another cost associated with opening the account. They open the account (for your car) themselves and charge you in the first bill. 

407 is good if you live near at one end and work at a relatively far end of GTA area (both of which are closer to 407) and do not want to waste your valuable time on road that you can spend with your family since it significantly reduces the time of travel. Then such a person can get a transponder and even avoid camera charges. 

407 is hardly beneficial for a very occasional visitor to GTA unless off course there is some other urgent need to reduce travel time (and the very pathetic way 401 ends up in some weekends). 

Edited by sarcastic

18 hours ago, sarcastic said:

Yes, it is only $4. But I felt that the cost is kinda weird since they anyways have the cameras fixed and they do photograph for most cars (without a transponder). 

Also, there is a cost associated with buying a transponder. Why will someone not living in GTA need that for a usually not frequently required 407. 

Also, if I remember correctly, there is another cost associated with opening the account. They open the account (for your car) themselves and charge you in the first bill. 

407 is good if you live near at one end and work at a relatively far end of GTA area (both of which are closer to 407) and do not want to waste your valuable time on road that you can spend with your family since it significantly reduces the time of travel. Then such a person can get a transponder and even avoid camera charges. 

407 is hardly beneficial for a very occasional visitor to GTA unless off course there is some other urgent need to reduce travel time (and the very pathetic way 401 ends up in some weekends). 

true makes no sense to rent transponder if you are not living in GTA or do not use it frequently, in case of an occasional usage of 407 my advise would be to use it all the way from burlington to say to 410 or 404 or Scarborough/Markham/Oshawa then it means you would have avoided considerable traffic and saved time when with family. 

else you can skip heavy traffic points in 401 and use 407 for a particular stretch, evenings after 4 till 9 pm i would advise 407 on weekdays for sure you are better off paying that 20 bucks.

19 minutes ago, PBN said:

@sandeep so how was your trip? fetch any good mangoes?

:)

Thanks to everyone for chipping in with useful information.  Really appreciate it.    Yourself,  @zen , @Vilander @sarcastic

Freschco and the other stores in the Hamilton area didn't have Alphonso, so I ended up driving to missisauga?  I was able to find a couple of boxes at Panchavati - they were just OK, but @ 23$ a dozen, I'm not complaining.    Also got one box from the guy at sweetmangoes.com - his were really good - cost was $35 a dozen.   Best of all, no issues at the border, although I was a bit nervous - didn't want them thrown out and have to pay $300 or more in fines - but got through!   The sweetmangoes dude didn't pick up the phone when I called him, else I would have just bought from him - by the time he called me back, I had already gotten 2 dozen from the grocery store.  

Was able to just drive on the 403 without much traffice so no toll issues either.     Had Alphonso mangoes for the 1st time in 20 years - delicious.   Some brownie points from wifey as well :)

Edited by sandeep