FAO : Tendulkar rubbishers

If you guys are saying the amount of vitriol Tendulkar got is even comparable to the mild criticism Dravid is getting then either the two of you have short memories or are just plain lying. Just a simple search on ICF for those dates will give you an idea about calls for him being selfish, playing for money only, calling into question his commitment by posters as well as the media. And the notion that 'any player who fails to average XYZ in ABC innings' should be dropped or asked to retire because 'only performance should be the criteria' is just plain dumb. And I had mentioned this during those days as well, that Tendulkar is not 'any player'. The combination of his talent level and work ethic puts him in a different category. Some fans of Dravid thought that just because Dravid had a few superb years and had a better 'average' than Tendulkar, he became a better player and the same standards should be applied to both. It simply cannot work that way in a sport. You cannot just read off numbers, otherwise you would not need selectors but some stats guru queries would be able to select teams for you. In this idea of being 'balanced' you want to equate the standards of selection of the best batsman of his generation with the failures of others. It simply cannot work like that. When Tendulkar supporters or people appreciative and discerning enough to identify that extra something he brings over and above any other player made these points which cannot be found in stats guru queries, they were called 'worshipers' and 'partial'. Well now their perception of the game has been vindicated and your reading of numbers and averages has been proved to be insufficient for the understanding of cricket. Surely, some of these people who were proved right will gloat over it now, after having been subject to various adjectives - it's human nature. But I don't expect you guys to understand all this even now for your posts are still singing the same old tunes of years back, 'every player should have same criteria', 'perf should be only criteria' etc. etc. Seclude yourself from perf., numbers, and stats and watch Tendulkar's 121 at Birmingham or his 177 at Bangalore in isolation to understand what separates Tendulkar's batting and artistry from anyone in his generation. When you understand the balance, poise, stroke making which make Tendulkar above and beyond any of the Dravids and Pontings, you will also cease on these bookish criteria of selection being used for him.
Top post Shwetabh. Indeed, that sums it up.
Anakin' date=' why the heck you bring in RD every time man. Just relax. You exactly doing the same thing to RD what they did to SRT. So leave him alone focus on the topic. They have been proven wrong convincingly this time. But still, they should be released from this guilt now. After all you are GOD's fan. cant I expect that from you?[/quote'] Find one post where I even suggested RSD should be dropped or abused him. So back off! My point is very simple one. Some people kept chanting that unless you wanted SRT to be abused you were a worshiper and they were objective fans. Now prove me how that statement could be right. It's a pointless discussion anyways. If they had any brains or common sense, this wouldn't even come to this.
If you guys are saying the amount of vitriol Tendulkar got is even comparable to the mild criticism Dravid is getting then either the two of you have short memories or are just plain lying. Just a simple search on ICF for those dates will give you an idea about calls for him being selfish, playing for money only, calling into question his commitment by posters as well as the media. And the notion that 'any player who fails to average XYZ in ABC innings' should be dropped or asked to retire because 'only performance should be the criteria' is just plain dumb. And I had mentioned this during those days as well, that Tendulkar is not 'any player'. The combination of his talent level and work ethic puts him in a different category. Some fans of Dravid thought that just because Dravid had a few superb years and had a better 'average' than Tendulkar, he became a better player and the same standards should be applied to both. It simply cannot work that way in a sport. You cannot just read off numbers, otherwise you would not need selectors but some stats guru queries would be able to select teams for you. In this idea of being 'balanced' you want to equate the standards of selection of the best batsman of his generation with the failures of others. It simply cannot work like that. When Tendulkar supporters or people appreciative and discerning enough to identify that extra something he brings over and above any other player made these points which cannot be found in stats guru queries, they were called 'worshipers' and 'partial'. Well now their perception of the game has been vindicated and your reading of numbers and averages has been proved to be insufficient for the understanding of cricket. Surely, some of these people who were proved right will gloat over it now, after having been subject to various adjectives - it's human nature. But I don't expect you guys to understand all this even now for your posts are still singing the same old tunes of years back, 'every player should have same criteria', 'perf should be only criteria' etc. etc. Seclude yourself from perf., numbers, and stats and watch Tendulkar's 121 at Birmingham or his 177 at Bangalore in isolation to understand what separates Tendulkar's batting and artistry from anyone in his generation. When you understand the balance, poise, stroke making which make Tendulkar above and beyond any of the Dravids and Pontings, you will also cease on these bookish criteria of selection being used for him.
Couldn't have said it better myself! I would just like to say I have never wished, privately or publicly, for Tendulkar to be dropped ever. You need to have sat and lived through the agony of India's chances evaporate each time he walked back to the pavilion. I'd sooner stop watching India before Tendulkar. I'm glad he's on top of the world again and his rennaisance is complete. That magic still isn't quite there but so what. He's like your first love. It can never be recreated, but you'll never forget, and nor should you.
Post of the week, month and year for me!! Superb Shwetabh, absolutely fantastic!!
Everything that needs to be said, all put so eloquently.
i am not familiar with all that was said but i think its pointless to criticise dravid as he is gonna retire within a year anyway
Anakin' date=' why the heck you bring in RD every time man. Just relax. You exactly doing the same thing to RD what they did to SRT. So leave him alone focus on the topic. They have been proven wrong convincingly this time. But still, they should be released from this guilt now. After all you are GOD's fan. cant I expect that from you?[/quote'] Try to understand his point Manny and Dial. He is not criticizing Dravid but the Dravid fans who were coincidentally the harshest Sachin critics/bashers when he was going through that slump, and fortunately Dravid was at the peak of his career.
I totally disagree on that Goosy .... just on pure batting technicalities and shot making he is playing just as good as he used to. He plays ALL shots that he used to and some. The experience that he has accumulated and the lessons learnt from bad times have given him that extra edge which makes him lethal.
something has changed. perhaps it's a different magic now. maybe those around him have caught up. his shotmaking seems driven by percentages whereas before he would flirt with danger and always win. maybe i'm just getting old. before he dominated the bowlers, now he dominates the scorecard. i don't know. could be wrong.
something has changed. perhaps it's a different magic now. maybe those around him have caught up. his shotmaking seems driven by percentages whereas before he would flirt with danger and always win. maybe i'm just getting old. before he dominated the bowlers' date=' now he dominates the scorecard. i don't know. could be wrong.[/quote'] check out his 200 not out against SA:giggle:
I was a hater in 2008 , for a reason ...I dint like the way he played between 2001-07 , never questioned his abilities , but his approach which hes completely changed in pas 2-3 years am happy Tendulkar has proved me wrong , but like any other player hes not immune to criticism .
So are you a hater of Dravid now? I am sure you are not because you can't ever forget what he did for India in his prime and what made you become his fan, right? Well, it was the same with Sachin fans, they all remembered what he has done and is capable of. If Dravid retires now, numbers and averages will never make you see his true value but in your mind you will always know the truth
Mashallah, what a post!
So are you a hater of Dravid now? I am sure you are not because you can't ever forget what he did for India in his prime and what made you become his fan' date=' right? Well, it was the same with Sachin fans, they all remembered what he has done and is capable of. If Dravid retires now, numbers and averages will never make you see his true value but in your mind you will always know the truth[/quote'] even with Tendulkar , I was just the so called hater ..so yeah at this point I wudnt be too fussy if Dravid is dropped ..dose he deserve to keep his place in the team ? I think not ...my only concern is , the youngsters like Raina and Pujara to settle down in the test team , so I would like Dravid to be around for another year or so..we cant bring in 2-3 inexperienced players at the same time .
something has changed. perhaps it's a different magic now. maybe those around him have caught up. his shotmaking seems driven by percentages whereas before he would flirt with danger and always win. maybe i'm just getting old. before he dominated the bowlers' date=' now he dominates the scorecard. i don't know. could be wrong.[/quote'] Yes something has changed and that something is his defence and his no-risk approach to batting. He is scoring and his strike rate is better than before but his defence is even more compact and solid. IMHO he has turned a fortress which no bowler can run over. They come they get spanked and they go away ruined. This understanding that SRT has about his game and the shots that he can execute, IMO can never be matched by any other player. He has become better with age. He is now a player who when gets in knows how to push the opponent on the ground and keep him there (that is not to say that he didn't do it earlier but now he looks even more solid). His domination is even more dangerous now as it does not gives the opponent any chance of survival. Its ruthless, clinical, more efficient and simply the BEST. :adore:
That was yesterday. Today (after 0-8): [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6zkhN2YGQo]Guide - Kya Se Kya Ho Gaya Bewafa Tere Pyar Me - Mohd Rafi - YouTube[/ame]
And the broader point still remains - Tendulkar was capable of contributing to the team at that point in time and is a long term liability now. Not sure what a 4 year old opinion has got to do with the current situation.
It does not. It has to do with folks trying to score brownie points against you. Simple.