Suresh Raina the future of Indian Cricket

head coach

No i didn't say that..infact think that would be wrong.I think Raina is more attacking than Rohit and has a wider range..just not in the Yuvi' date='Dhoni and Yusuf category in the [b']death overs. You'll get absolutely nothing from Rohit in those slog overs except a few pretty drives:giggle: He can't even rotate the strike as effectively as Raina. You're right about Yuvraj being the trump card though..however do you think that is true even in SL conditions?Although he did better today,his innings was the least fluent. But i think as you have suggested Yuvaj may just get MSD's vote of confidence ahead of Raina. Well #5 won't be that bad for Raina,i suppose.
You may not agree with me on this, but I feel Rohit is a better hitter than Raina. His unique because he is a cultured slogger and even when’s slogging, there’s this underlying thread of percentage cricket about it.. And if you had seen some of Rohit’s innings in IPL, you’ll most definitely change your opinion that we will get ‘nothing but a few sweet drives’ from him in the death overs. Raina is better at building partnerships, but Rohit is no slouch in that either. So, from a personal standpoint, I’d rate Raina a touch higher than Rohit when it comes to building partnerships and Rohit a lot higher than Raina when it comes to quick scoring. But, whats the point of having a batsman who is excellent at building partnership bat at no.5/6?
You may not agree with me on this, but I feel Rohit is a better hitter than Raina. His unique because he is a cultured slogger and even when’s slogging, there’s this underlying thread of percentage cricket about it.. And if you had seen some of Rohit’s innings in IPL, you’ll most definitely change your opinion that we will get ‘nothing but a few sweet drives’ from him in the death overs. Raina is better at building partnerships, but Rohit is no slouch in that either. So, from a personal standpoint, I’d rate Raina a touch higher than Rohit when it comes to building partnerships and Rohit a lot higher than Raina when it comes to quick scoring. But, whats the point of having a batsman who is excellent at building partnership bat at no.5/6?
What you say might well b true..because i haven't followed IPL that closely. However from what i have seen so far at the International level,i would say Raina is the more aggressive batsman in both aspects..scoring boundaries and rotating the strike. Rohit can look like million dollars with some of his big shots(percentage+pedigree) but the fact is at the international level he doesn't score boundaries and take singles as frequently as Raina.This is again something which is at the back of my mind..haven't really checked the stats.So could well be wrong:hatsoff: Even if i am wrong though..most people who criticise Raina have many problems with him but i don't think not scoring quickly is one of them:winky:. Then there is the obvious fact that Raina is more established in the team than Rohit,so i would say Rohit might have to unfortunately sit out if Sehwag gets back. I think this comparison deserves a thread of its own..it would be nice to get more views on it.

I disagree MM. I have seen the T20I matches where Rohit played extremely well (especially in the WC) and the other T20s and the IPL for Deccan, etc. But I think Raina has an advantage in terms of power. He has a lot more power and can force the pace better than Rohit. Taking nothing away from Rohit here but they are two very different kind of players. Raina is capable of building partnerships and can score at varying rates.

No 4 or 5 is a good slot for this young man though i would love to have him at no.3. Raina averages around 60 with a strike rate of 88.8 at no.4 & 50.5 at a strike rate of 97.11 at no.5.He is quick between wickets and a great fielder. Raina's career average is around 35. Career average comparison: Robin Uthappa : 27.10 after 38 matches Rohit Sharma : 25.75 after 33 matches Yusuf Pathan : 24 after 13 matches Suresh Raina : 34.58 after 56 matches Raina is the most experienced and a better player by far amongst the above 4 players. till his 56th match Yuvraj's average was 28.42. Though UVi can't be compared with Raina the above is just for a stat. and last SACHIN WON'T GIFT HIS BAT TO YOU AND ME.. RAINA HAS THE TALENT AND IT IS COMING OUT SLOWLY

Unless Raina improves on his batting against short ball' date=' he wont be a factor in tests. Everyone saw how Flinty worked him out in the odiers. And please, he's not ganguly. By any means.[/quote'] His problem against a the short ball isn't as big as you make it out to be.Got out once in the 5 match series to a short ball(inside edging onto stumps) but then so was Rohit.Though Raina did avtually score an unbeaten 50 and a42 in that series LOL!! Some working out that from Freddie. ...you're right about the Ganguly part..he certainly doesn't struggle against the short ball as much as Ganguly:giggle:.
No 4 or 5 is a good slot for this young man though i would love to have him at no.3. Raina averages around 60 with a strike rate of 88.8 at no.4 & 50.5 at a strike rate of 97.11 at no.5.He is quick between wickets and a great fielder. Raina's career average is around 35. Career average comparison: Robin Uthappa : 27.10 after 38 matches Rohit Sharma : 25.75 after 33 matches Yusuf Pathan : 24 after 13 matches Suresh Raina : 34.58 after 56 matches Raina is the most experienced and a better player by far amongst the above 4 players. till his 56th match Yuvraj's average was 28.42. Though UVi can't be compared with Raina the above is just for a stat. and last SACHIN WON'T GIFT HIS BAT TO YOU AND ME.. RAINA HAS THE TALENT AND IT IS COMING OUT SLOWLY
Yuvraj's average still hovers around the 35 mark..or near enough.Some of the best names in the game average around 35 in the ODI's Aravinda Desilva,Jayawardane,Yuvraj,Jayasuriya and many more..cbf searching statsguru for them all. What this shows is that..an average of 35 in the ODIs is considered a very good one.
Unless Raina improves on his batting against short ball' date=' he wont be a factor in tests. Everyone saw how Flinty worked him out in the odiers. And please, he's not ganguly. By any means.[/quote'] Very true, he needs to work out a way of turning the strike when there are fielders on the legside boundary against the short ball

Raina has to correct the angling of his bat when he plays the ball...it appears he's got a bit straighter from what I saw in the last ODI. It's a case of stay tuned. He has the goods, is fit and fast, great in the field and a team morale lifter. If he wants to play the short ball instead of swerving, he has to perfect the rock back (this is his major problem with pullng and hooking...he plants and swishes and the ball gets to high on him....) and wrist roll to keep it down. Every time I have seen him pull, it is uppishly, with the arc of the bat swing upwards...okay if you are going to hit it for six and not haul out or top edge like he has. Otherwise, he should leave the short stuff alone or learn the upper cut when it is outside off.

I disagree MM. I have seen the T20I matches where Rohit played extremely well (especially in the WC) and the other T20s and the IPL for Deccan' date= etc. But I think Raina has an advantage in terms of power. He has a lot more power and can force the pace better than Rohit. Taking nothing away from Rohit here but they are two very different kind of players. Raina is capable of building partnerships and can score at varying rates.
Raina has more power? Raina is the more muscular batsman but Rohit is all of natural timing and touch. Raina's forcing shots are full of heavy-effor, as he tries to muscle the ball over the top. This increases the chances of a mis-hit. Rohit is much more cultured and yet even more effective. During last version of the IPL, both Rohit and Raina scored the same number of runs Rohit played 3 less matches and had a SR that was higher than Raina's.

True Rohit appears to have a better technique of the two..but that doesn't necessarily translate to better batsman. Some of the drives from Raina look sublime.He by no means is a slogger. He is for example more elegant than Gambhir..and we all know about Gambhir's success. What matters is that aggressive attitude and the fact that he has what it takes..I can go on with other batsmen like Hayden,Smith etc..who are easily less graceful than Raina,but that doesn't mean they can't be successful. The stark truth is Raina has established himself in the team while Rohit hasn't yet. Regarding the elegancy i would say Raina scores high..Yuvraj and Rohit are the only ones i can think of who are more graceful than him of the current lot of young batsman. Actually come to think of it..name one leftie apart from Yuvraj who is as easy on the eyes as Raina from India?

Yes...his drives down the ground were a treat. No, he is not a slogger...but he has a more unconventional approach to batting...he is a different kind of player...innovative, creative and adaptable comes to mind. Not everyone has to be orthodox to be good. For that matter, Gambhir doesn't look as elegant as Raina...but boy is he good or what?

Yes...his drives down the ground were a treat. No, he is not a slogger...but he has a more unconventional approach to batting...he is a different kind of player...innovative, creative and adaptable comes to mind. Not everyone has to be orthodox to be good.
Exactly..if people still aren't convinced have a look at Dhoni!!
True Rohit appears to have a better technique of the two..but that doesn't necessarily translate to better batsman. Some of the drives from Raina look sublime.He by no means is a slogger. He is for example more elegant than Gambhir..and we all know about Gambhir's success. What matters is that aggressive attitude and the fact that he has what it takes..I can go on with other batsmen like Hayden,Smith etc..who are easily less graceful than Raina,but that doesn't mean they can't be successful. The stark truth is Raina has established himself in the team while Rohit hasn't yet. Regarding the elegancy i would say Raina scores high..Yuvraj and Rohit are the only ones i can think of who are more graceful than him of the current lot of young batsman. Actually come to think of it..name one leftie apart from Yuvraj who is as easy on the eyes as Raina from India?
raina has by no means established himself.even rohit looked to be a certainty wen he played those lovely innings in australia.few bad innings and he wasnt a certainty,same can very well happen to raina.dont forget raina has only performed in subcontinent n struglled miserably wen he went to SA whereas rohit did well in t20 WC as well as CB series. both raina n rohit have their strengths.raina has a fearless temperamentn while rohit remains calm under pressure,so while raina is a great no.3 while playing in subcontinent.rohit is the man to play at 5 or 6 wen viru comes back
raina has by no means established himself.even rohit looked to be a certainty wen he played those lovely innings in australia.few bad innings and he wasnt a certainty,same can very well happen to raina.dont forget raina has only performed in subcontinent n struglled miserably wen he went to SA whereas rohit did well in t20 WC as well as CB series. both raina n rohit have their strengths.raina has a fearless temperamentn while rohit remains calm under pressure,so while raina is a great no.3 while playing in subcontinent.rohit is the man to play at 5 or 6 wen viru comes back
One of the biggest myths about Raina(the thing that pisses me off most about his critics) is that he failed in SA..here is the link to the series results. http://ind.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2006-07/IND_IN_RSA/ Can anyone please explain to me how he has been classified as a "miserable failure" when he played in only one of the 5 ODIs?? A series where no-one clicked,mind you. Raina has performed brilliantly on his 'A' tours to SA and the emerging players tournament held last year in Aus!! You know the amount bias is ridiculous..totally different yardsticks are applied for Raina and Rohit. How do we know that Raina wouldn't have performed in the CB series? I doubt if there are conditions more perfect for batting than Australia. Just look at the number of innings where Rohit hasn't taken the opportunity in his short career.And compare it with Raina's.. Rohit: http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/34102.html?class=2;template=results;type=batting;view=innings Raina: http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/33335.html?class=2;template=results;type=batting;view=innings No. of innings outside the sub-continent.. Raina=6 Rohit=12. Bit too early speak of Raina as a failure outside the sub-continent,don't you think? Its not by some stroke of misfortune Rohit averages 25 at the International level,the guy has scored just one 50 since March 08!! Inspite of this all of us are willing to give him the benefit of doubt. Why the double standards? There must be a good reason for it..but it eludes me:giggle:
^^ holyfk.. i jus came to knw tht he played only in a single match.. now im wondering why people bring up everytime tht he failed in SAF.... :hmmm2: Rohit is a mumbai boy.. so....
Sigh!! Our perennial problem.. I have no problems with Rohit being given the benefit of the doubt..even i rate him very highly. But it irks me when people won't do the same for talented youngsters from other parts. People like Greg Chappell,Lara,John Buchanan weren't bribed into praising him..the guy must have something about him.