Dravid: What Next?

Sachinism

we're seeing the same thing from dravid over and over now gets in, does nothing, lets aussies get on top and then gets out i think he should play more attacking, cant do himself any harm, he's not scoring anyway playing more attacking, if a few runs are scored, aussies will get a bit more defensive, opening up a few more gaps for singles

i guess he needs some reassurance from AK saying that his batting position wud not change..he is battling in his mind more than on the pitch..needs to take his time off and hope he comes all guns blazing against SA..he is too gud a player to have a slump..so he ll bounce back soon..

The solution is SIMPLE : Last time (IIRC) Dravid hit a rough patch, he was demoted to #6, with Laxman promoted to #3 and the rest is history! For the life in me, i cannot figure out why the Indian team management isn't proactive enough to try this. Yes, Dravid has been awesome at #3 but when he is in an extended rough patch, he needs to be under less pressure, not more. And lets face it, #3 is a very stressful position in the Indian lineup, given that we've always had a pretty pathetic opening combo. Dravid has done very well at #6 IIRC and so has Laxman at #3 ( IIRC, he averages 49 at #3). Just shuffle those two and i think problem will be solved. Once Dravid gets to play himself in against spinners and tired fast bowlers and puts up few good scores, he'd have enough confidence to anchor #3 again, if required.

Geez.... u guys must be expecting our batters to score 100s of evey inning. He got 91 the last test match. Does it count for anything? About 6 months ago there was a lot of questions asked about Tendulkar and now it's Rahul Dravid. If Ganguly fails this inning I'm sure you will put him under the scanner too. Why do you guys worry in what fasion are the runs coming? As long as it comes it's all good. No way can you expect all the batsmen to score 50s and 100s always. At any point in time only about 4 guys are in top form that's good enough for the team. Rahul has contributed in this test series not with standing the number of dropped catches or anything.

The solution is SIMPLE : Last time (IIRC) Dravid hit a rough patch, he was demoted to #6, with Laxman promoted to #3 and the rest is history! For the life in me, i cannot figure out why the Indian team management isn't proactive enough to try this. Yes, Dravid has been awesome at #3 but when he is in an extended rough patch, he needs to be under less pressure, not more. And lets face it, #3 is a very stressful position in the Indian lineup, given that we've always had a pretty pathetic opening combo. Dravid has done very well at #6 IIRC and so has Laxman at #3 ( IIRC, he averages 49 at #3). Just shuffle those two and i think problem will be solved. Once Dravid gets to play himself in against spinners and tired fast bowlers and puts up few good scores, he'd have enough confidence to anchor #3 again, if required.
good point id like to see laxman further up the order, this is a move which could benefit both players
Playing good strokes, from backlift to completing the shot will help. Instead of just poking and withdrawing the bat, and then turning the face of the bat. Thats getting him in trouble.
Very well said. This might sound strange but he needs to leave more (or practice those cover drives). A 3/4-down position will also help immensely. It's so strange that even when he isn't doing well against the new ball he still comes out at 1-down.
Very well said. This might sound strange but he needs to leave more (or practice those cover drives). A 3/4-down position will also help immensely. It's so strange that even when he isn't doing well against the new ball he still comes out at 1-down.
When timing is awry it happens. You push more at the ball than hit hard or leave it. Of late he's been pushing the bat a little too much.
btw since (and including) the SA series, RD averages close to 40 or 45 when we have a 50 run opening partnership. Otherwise he averages close to 20. So it's quite clear he is massively struggling against the new ball. On the other hand he hasn't looked really convincing against spin as well but you have to give him a whole series where he doesn't have to bat against the new ball. That might work for him. (Although I'm not a big fan of VVS having to face the new ball. He also has tremendous stats when the openers play out at least 10-15 overs, otherwise he tends to struggle. So, it's not an easy situation to be in).