Breaking News: Adam Gilchrist retires

talksport

Gilly's cricketing life in pictures 000603.jpg Adam Gilchrist with the ball in the palm of his hand as Darren Lehmann looks on . ...Australia v Australia 'A', Sydney Cricket Ground, Sunday December 14th 1997. 85721.jpg Gilchrist wowed the international stage with his awesome hitting at the top of the order in ODIs, and his attitude set the tone for many youngster to follow 85726.jpg Healy's retirement allowed Gilchrist the chance to impress in the Test format, and the two shakes hands on the eve of his debut 61817.jpg Adam Gilchrist signs autographs for fans during the post-lunch delay, Bangladesh v Australia, 2nd Test, Chittagong, 2nd day, April 17, 2006

Huge blow for Australia. It was McGRath, Warne and Langer last year. Now it's Gilchrist. It almost feels like an end of an era. Fantastic player and entertainer Gilly is. I'll miss him dearly. Whenever you talk about wicket keeper batsman, the talk will start with Gilly. He sure revolutionized batting in test cricket coming at no.7 Fantastic impact player and the world cricket will miss him dearly.

Guest HariSampath

I was just looking thru Gilly's career, maaaan this fellow has SO many match turning hundreds in his career, simply turning a game on its head with a 100 and winning it from nowhere...I doubt if Aus can find a replacement for him as a batter alone...forget about a keeper/bat

Thank you GILLY ....for all the wonderful memories that you have given us to cherish for years to come by. Make this an official Gilly Tribute thread for the thorough entertainer of the game :yay: Ciao Churchie :(( :two_thumbs_up:

Without doubt, one of the three sureshot selections in an all time test XI(other two being Bradman and Sobers). Before he came along, captains expected a gritty 50-60 at the max from a #7 but he completely changed the rule book. How many times have we seen him deliver one stunner after another from that now dreaded #7 spot. My two fav Gilly knocks are the 204 v RSA in 2002(when the idiots sledged him regarding the Slater incident only to see him blast the then fastest 200 :laugh:) and the stunning 122 v India at Mumbai in 2001. Hats off to one of the greatest cricketers of all time! :isalute: