What is your first recollection of Cricket?

Laaloo

Fragile memories of the 1981 England tour. Uncle asked "is it over?".. Aunt replied "yes Gavaskar caught it"(meaning the england innings came to an end).Somehow this remains my first memory.

I learnt the names of Gavaskar, kapil, Vishwanath,vengsarkar, Fletcher,Boycott,Gooch, Gower and botham.

There was the match in Chennai. Again my relatives told me how the match went. Vengasarkar was hitting boundaries at will before he was felled by a bouncer. Vish and Yashpal put on a hge partnership.

I remember one day when botham got dismissed at the end of the day. Srikanth got dismissed quickly in one of the tests.

Then i remember a match vs Pakistan when Kirti Azad finished the match with bighitting.

But it was the 1983 WI tour that really set the tone for regular watching. Watched the series from the second test in Delhi.

My first memory of cricket is kambli misfielding a ball right on the boundary during India vs West Indies test match in mohali in 1994 (I think). I was sitting just near the boundary rope where kambli misfielded it. It is also my first memory of watching a cricket match in a stadium

International cricket, heard on the radio John Lever vaseline controversy in India. 1977

First ball on TV (as I remember it), Imran Khan's insane in-cutter to Vishwanath in the famous 1982/83 series.  Like the ball spun at a fast bowling speeds.

It used to be on you tube but now I can't find it. Here's a description of it on cricinfo

http://www.espncricinfo.com/blogs/content/story/669747.html

However, Imran's bowling was simply outstanding. One delivery in particular highlighted his skill in this series: in the second innings of the Karachi Test, Viswanath, still to get off the mark, shouldered arms to a ball he felt offered no threat, only to be stunned when it swerved back dramatically and smashed into his off stump.

They say these days that those Pakistani lads and succeeding generations could cut up/ bottle cap the ball something wicked, right up to the time the TV got too intrusive.

But even so, I've never seen anything like that ball till date.  Look it up if you can.

Edited by NameGoesHere