Jimmy Anderson deserves our respect and appreciation!

2 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

Similar to how Jayawardene is not rated among the best of generation, let alone of all time, despite not lacking in longevity and numbers.

Not rated by who?

He certainly is rated in the cricket world 

1 minute ago, sarchasm said:

What could I mean by impact? Are you struggling with the concept?

You wrote the word impact and implied James Anderson had not made an impact .

Back up your word and claim with your reasons not trying to be funny 

Just now, sarchasm said:

Well go ahead then. I have seen many a past and current greats name their all time XIs. Jaya hasn't featured in a single one of them. None of his peers, outside of Lanka, have rated him as the best they played against.

I invite you to show everyone how I am so completely wrong about this.

Aaaaaah so if you don't feature in some fantasy X1 then your not a great?

It's his peers  who determine if he is the Best they played against not if they thought he was a great player.

The words ATG , only applies  to a very few in any sport .

Any batsman who scores that amount of runs or wickets as in James Anderson's case then they must be selected for that achievement because average players don't manage that .

Any term of All time great or great is something then of an individual preference of who they prefer 

9 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

Yes, peer reputation is a big thing in sport. The fantasy XI is most of the time a marker of reputation a player enjoys.

Take note that I am not suggesting Anderson is a bad player. Far from it. He's been great for England. But a player with his record should be FEARED around the world - like Steyn, McGrath etc. Instead, he's just another trundler in South Africa, Australia, and India, England's three greatest rivals.

My point is he has been great for England and made impact for England so he is an English ATG as is Jawardyne for Sri Lanka. 

If anyone is an ATG for their country that's what matters and any other comparisons world wide are not relevent 

45 minutes ago, prinzo said:

Is he better then Dale Steyn  , ( not taking into account the overall number of wickets )

Most certainly not but IMO he is more enjoyable to watch when in flow. A pure magician with both new and old balls, so subtle and full of tricks. While Steyn is a rampaging bull dozer, Jimmy is more sophisticated. Steyn is the heir of Marshall because for a period of 6-7 years he managed to become objectively and unquestionably the best and not first among equals. Very few quicks have wedged such a big gap over their peers, most definitely the South African is among the select few. Both are ATGs, you can't downplay the weight of Jimmy's stats, longevity is a big factor in determining greatness and shouldn't be scoffed at. Steyn is a tier 1 ATG who will feature in GOAT discussions while Jimmy is a tier 2 ATG alongside guys like Walsh, Waqar, Ntini, Willis etc.  

1 minute ago, sarchasm said:

Yes, he's been great for England. But I am not an England fan and I won't be as charitable to Jimmy for his home exploits. McGrath got his wickets on account of his skill and attitude, but Jimmy got there only on account of England playing a *ton of matches at home. Creditable, but lacking in impact, aura, peer reputation etc.

I am not an England or Jimmy Anderson fan as I am not for Sourav Ganguly but will defend that they are English and Indian AGT .

Their contributions to their countries matter more than what other people in other countries think. 

2 hours ago, Tattieboy said:

My point is he has been great for England and made impact for England so he is an English ATG as is Jawardyne for Sri Lanka. 

If anyone is an ATG for their country that's what matters and any other comparisons world wide are not relevent 

I dont refute him being an england ATG. Anything beyond that is not acceptable.

I suspect by the time Ashwin hangs up his boots he will be the spinner's equivalent of Anderson. In my mind he too will retire as an ATG just like Jimmy. HTBs shouldn't be downplayed, home wins set up the base for all teams in their quest for domination. SA were undefeated overseas from 2006 till 2015 but kept the no 1 spot for hardly 20 odd months simply because they weren't ruthless enough at home. Players like Anderson, Sehwag, Younis, Ashwin, Mahela, Hayden, Clarke etc have their places in the upper echelons of cricketers......while none of these guys will figure in GOAT discussion or all time XIs, they deserve the ATG tag purely on the basis of their numbers and impact in won matches.