If you were the Dictator

zen

22 minutes ago, Gollum said:

In that case I would like to edit my wishlist. I strike out the UCC part and my new wish is a complete ban on IPL. All Indians will be forced to watch test cricket only, any mention of CSK or MI will land a person in jail for life. 

Respected Fuhrer,

You are risking a large scale uprising by banning the IPL.

As a dictator, you should have stuff to keep people occupied/entertained so that they don' have much time to think of your policies.

No better way than conducting IPL 3 times a year!!

34 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Respected Fuhrer,

You are risking a large scale uprising by banning the IPL.

As a dictator, you should have stuff to keep people occupied/entertained so that they don' have much time to think of your policies.

No better way than conducting IPL 3 times a year!!

Even better, I will conduct 30 test matches per year. 

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Even better, I will conduct 30 test matches per year. 

Nein Mein Fuhrer

Even if you assume the predictably pathetic Indian batting display across the tests, that is still at least 30x3 days of test cricket. In working hours time. So much time lost. Any self respecting dictator would want his population to work and decide what entertainment activity they can enjoy after work hours to control them more. Hence IPL as its always post work hours.

I think you need me as an advisor. I can be your chanakya. Will even work pro bono. At a gift I shall take accept to be the Satrap of Mumbai, Pune and Goa.

14 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Nein Mein Fuhrer

Even if you assume the predictably pathetic Indian batting display across the tests, that is still at least 30x3 days of test cricket. In working hours time. So much time lost. Any self respecting dictator would want his population to work and decide what entertainment activity they can enjoy after work hours to control them more. Hence IPL as its always post work hours.

I think you need me as an advisor. I can be your chanakya. Will even work pro bono. At a gift I shall take accept to be the Satrap of Mumbai, Pune and Goa.

I am the dictator, I decide what time they will play, match will start after 5 pm and continue till 11:30 with much shorter tea and dinner breaks. Match will always start on Fridays and will be played on difficult (seaming/turning) tracks, I would gladly accept you as my advisor but you need to leave the cult of Dhoni 1st, Dhoni is my sworn enemy. As a gift I will give you Mumbai, Pune and Chennai, not Goa.

Edited by Gollum

10 hours ago, Mariyam said:

What did you do to rectify the stench?

As a dictator what would you have ordered?

I don't recall what I did as it was a long time ago. May have put in a complain which would have fallen on deaf ears or urine fragrance loving diplomats  .... Now there are visa application service centers so there is no need to go to the embassy 

As a dictator, I would have asked the consulate general of Ind to set an example by cleaning it up along with his team, and to impose strict fines to those who appear to use them improperly and those who don't do a great job of maintaining them 

40 minutes ago, surajmal said:

What a mess this thread is. Also a prime example why middle class people don't belong in politics. 

Hypothetically, would Rahul Gandhi (upper class) make a better dictator than Modi (middle class)?

Edited by zen

1 hour ago, zen said:

Hypothetically, would Rahul Gandhi (upper class) make a better dictator than Modi (middle class)?

Except, Modi isn't middle class. 

And Yes, I would pick a non middle dictator over a middle class dictator anytime. 

Edited by surajmal

13 minutes ago, surajmal said:

Except, Modi isn't middle class. 

And Yes, I would pick a non middle dictator over a middle class dictator anytime. 

Modi infers that his background is humble. Yogi Adityanath father was a forest ranger 

For someone to be straight away upper class, he/she would likely be born with a silver/golden spoon 

One area where I can see your point making sense is if we follow Maslow's theory, where the leader has achieved other aspects and is now seeking self-actualization. But then again in India, rich keep getting richer, so the pursuit for $$$ remains .... 

Edited by zen

1 hour ago, zen said:

Modi infers that his background is humble. Yogi Adityanath father was a forest ranger 

For someone to be straight away upper class, he/she would likely be born with a silver/golden spoon 

One area where I can see your point making sense is if we follow Maslow's theory, where the leader has achieved other aspects and is now seeking self-actualization. But then again in India, rich keep getting richer, so the pursuit for $$$ remains .... 

Modi grew up poor by any metric. 

Anyways, Middle Class boundary conditions are fairly well defined by non middle class people. Literally, middle classes are rule takers not rule makers. Either the Rich/Powerful tell them what to do/how to do. Or they look at the poor and internally decide/react on what to do to not be like them. So nothing new or intellectual can ever come from this strata of society. 

Just look at this thread; all suggestions are about smooth functioning of administration or population dynamics. All mechanical. Nothing humanistic.

FAAACK! I am starting to sound like a leftwing liberandu. Detox! Detox! Jai Savarkar! Jai Aurbindo! Jai Vivekananda!

Edited by surajmal

39 minutes ago, surajmal said:

Anyways, Middle Class boundary conditions are fairly well defined by non middle class people. Literally, middle classes are rule takers not rule makers. Either the Rich/Powerful tell them what to do/how to do. Or they look at the poor and internally decide/react on what to do to not be like them. So nothing new or intellectual can ever come from this strata of society. 

Just look at this thread; all suggestions are about smooth functioning of administration or population dynamics. All mechanical. Nothing humanistic.

FAAACK! I am starting to sound like a leftwing liberandu. Detox! Detox! Jai Savarkar! Jai Aurbindo! Jai Vivekananda!

I would go primarily with the leadership qualities including vision shown by the individual .... For e.g. guys like Dhirubhai Ambani used to fill gas at gas station but ended up at a totally different level .... While, going back in time, many of the Maharajas (upper class) ruled pathetically, and even got subjugated and humiliated by foreign forces  

3 hours ago, surajmal said:

If nothing intellectual can come from the middle class, please tell me why the bulk majority of inventors and socially influential paradigm makers are middle class ? The three biggest social constructs of the last 200 years: capitalism,Marxism and fascism all have middle class founders ? Marx was middle class. So was Keynes. So was Hitler.

Even for Indian philosophies, except for Buddha and Mahavira, everyone else was middle or poor class....

4 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

If nothing intellectual can come from the middle class, please tell me why the bulk majority of inventors and socially influential paradigm makers are middle class ? The three biggest social constructs of the last 200 years: capitalism,Marxism and fascism all have middle class founders ? Marx was middle class. So was Keynes. So was Hitler.

Even for Indian philosophies, except for Buddha and Mahavira, everyone else was middle or poor class....

First, I'm talking about Middle class in the modern setting. And what do material inventions have to do intellectualism?

Second, Hitler didn't come up with Fascism.

Third, Keynes didn't come up with Capitalism.

Fourth, I'm sure you have read Wikipedia entries on Marxism. Is that a work of someone that wanted to do anything with his middle class upbringing. Marxism is anti-middle class from the word go. 

Fifth, No equivalent to "middle class" in pre Raj  India. Middle Class is a product of the Industrial Age. 

Suggestion: Consult wikipedia again. You are iffy on many facts. Forget the conclusions for now. 

57 minutes ago, surajmal said:

First, I'm talking about Middle class in the modern setting. And what do material inventions have to do intellectualism?

Second, Hitler didn't come up with Fascism.

Third, Keynes didn't come up with Capitalism.

Fourth, I'm sure you have read Wikipedia entries on Marxism. Is that a work of someone that wanted to do anything with his middle class upbringing. Marxism is anti-middle class from the word go. 

Fifth, No equivalent to "middle class" in pre Raj  India. Middle Class is a product of the Industrial Age. 

Suggestion: Consult wikipedia again. You are iffy on many facts. Forget the conclusions for now. 

Ok, even if middle class is an industrial concept, empirically middle class has produced far more quantitatively and equally qualitatively in any field of interest possible.

9 hours ago, zen said:

I would go primarily with the leadership qualities including vision shown by the individual .... For e.g. guys like Dhirubhai Ambani used to fill gas at gas station but ended up at a totally different level .... While, going back in time, many of the Maharajas (upper class) ruled pathetically, and even got subjugated and humiliated by foreign forces  

Banakar faqeeron ka bhes 'ghalib'

Hum tamasha e ahl e karam dekhte hain

17 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

Ok, even if middle class is an industrial concept, empirically middle class has produced far more quantitatively and equally qualitatively in any field of interest possible.

Materially, Yes. And thats their job since they are the "engine" of a modern economy. If they weren't even doing that, what use are they. 

Coincidentally, this very class will be most impacted by the arrival of AI as most of their jobs are rendered redundant. 

4 minutes ago, surajmal said:

Materially, Yes. And thats their job since they are the "engine" of a modern economy. If they weren't even doing that, what use are they. 

Coincidentally, this very class will be most impacted by the arrival of AI as most of their jobs are rendered redundant. 

Ideologically as well. As I said, the # of intellectuals to come from the elite class is negligible in quantity ( understandable as they are a small minirity) as well as a %. Just which major social thinker of the past 200 years has been an elite or a pauper ??

21 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Ideologically as well. As I said, the # of intellectuals to come from the elite class is negligible in quantity ( understandable as they are a small minirity) as well as a %. Just which major social thinker of the past 200 years has been an elite or a pauper ??

All the greatest ones. To name a few... Max Weber, Wittgenstein, Heiddeger, Neitzsche, Kierkegaard, Schopehauer, Hume - either rich or poor. 

12 minutes ago, surajmal said:

All the greatest ones. To name a few... Max Weber, Wittgenstein, Heiddeger, Neitzsche, Kierkegaard, Schopehauer, Hume - either rich or poor. 

Nope. Some were rich it most of those names are not from the elite classs.

Neitzche's father was a pastor.... ie middle class

Weber was son of a civil servant. Total upper middle class

Wittgenstien was born to small time wool traders.

Heidegger was born to a priest as well.

Kierkegaard was born to a super rich affluent family(elites). So was Schopenhauer. 

Hume was the son of a lawyer.

so it's zero poor, two rich and 5 middle class thinkers.

Edited by Muloghonto

3 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Nope. Some were rich it most of those names are not from the elite classs.

Neitzche's father was a pastor.... ie middle class

Weber was son of a civil servant. Total upper middle class

Wittgenstien was born to small time wool traders.

Heidegger was born to a priest as well.

Kierkegaard was born to a super rich affluent family(elites). So was Schopenhauer. 

Hume was the son of a lawyer.

so it's zero poor, two rich and 5 middle class thinkers.

U suck at wikipedia trawling. 

Wittgenstein - 2nd wealthiest family at one time after Rothschilds in Austrio Hungary.

Pastors don't classify as middle class anywhere. particularly in 19th Europe. 

You say Upper Middle Class, I say Rich. 

I may give you Hume, but his father died when he was a child. (Although he existed prior to the 200 yr time frame you gave as I look at his DOB)