Is Reverse Swing possible without tampering ?

7 minutes ago, Ellipsism said:

From what I’ve heard their primary goal was to get a new ball.

i think they got very frustrated from last day, the ball was not giving conventional swing or reverse. but this is still very stupid. 

Why do teams get this desperate. The pressure in Test cricket is just too much, its not fking life and death, some perspective is necessary.

5 hours ago, Vilander said:

i think they got very frustrated from last day, the ball was not giving conventional swing or reverse. but this is still very stupid. 

Why do teams get this desperate. The pressure in Test cricket is just too much, its not fking life and death, some perspective is necessary.

It’s an Aussie culture to do whatever it takes to cross the line, regardless of what the consequences are. 

19 hours ago, zep1706 said:

It is possible but it's not always a certainty as we have seen in this test series. SA were reversing the ball from 25-30 overs onward, that's impossible without ball tampering IMO. Plus the lush green grounds make it even more difficult. It will be interesting to see how much reverse swing SA get in the 4th innings. They will be under the spotlight as well. But I guess you can get away with it at home because everything depends on what the host broadcasters decides to capture and show, umpires can't really keep an eye on everything. 

http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1087925/reverse-swing--an-english-tale

According to this article, on average it takes for different red balls around the world to start reversing (30 overs for Dukes, 40 to 50 for the Kookaburra, and 10 to 15 for the SG used in India).

35 minutes ago, diga said:

http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1087925/reverse-swing--an-english-tale

According to this article, on average it takes for different red balls around the world to start reversing (30 overs for Dukes, 40 to 50 for the Kookaburra, and 10 to 15 for the SG used in India).

I wonder how much of it is due abrasive nature of Indian pitches/grounds. Also there's a difference between starting and actually making an impact in the game. I don't think I have seen reverse swing from 10-15 overs to be honest, even in India the ball needs to be quite older than that for reverse swing to have an impact in the game. 

11 hours ago, Ellipsism said:

Yes. You get it India and Aus because of the abrasive surfaces which naturally rough up the ball.

The damage to ball by hitting ground is different as in this case both sides are roughed up. So it becomes useless. 

However, when the players do it they can roughen up the ball just one side. Which is useful.

Just banging the ball on ground by fielders on way to keeper is not going to help. It needs effort on one side only to be of any help.

1 hour ago, Straight Drive said:

The damage to ball by hitting ground is different as in this case both sides are roughed up. So it becomes useless. 

However, when the players do it they can roughen up the ball just one side. Which is useful.

Just banging the ball on ground by fielders on way to keeper is not going to help. It needs effort on one side only to be of any help.

And that’s why you continuously maintain one side, and leave the other side alone. To add on abrasive pitches alone don’t help, you need the outfield to be hard as well. Hence why you don’t get much reverse in places like the UAE.