Who is the best commentator....!!!!

arkay

I simply hate Gavaskar's commentary. I think he is a dumb guy to begin with and one of the most selfish cricketers who played only for records. His obsession with batting records is so evident when he comments on batsman's 100s, 50s etc. He knows nothing about the game apart from batting. Its a pity he was India captain captain for so long, i havent, till now, heard him give a single worthwhile strategic perspective of the situation on the field. The other day, when Sreesanth bowled a wide delivery outside off-stump, he went something like " Thats bad bowling like Sreesanth, how can he bowl wide outside off , its acceptable if he bowls wide outside leg" What the hell is that supposed to mean ? His only saving grace is his english is decent, but i swear on my most beloved Gods, I can do better, more interesting commentary than him.
You are being harsh Marris. He has said a few silly things lately but that doesn't mean we should rubbish all his accomplishments. From what i have heard and seen he was arguably IND's finest test batsman ever.
I simply hate Gavaskar's commentary. I think he is a dumb guy to begin with and one of the most selfish cricketers who played only for records. His obsession with batting records is so evident when he comments on batsman's 100s, 50s etc. He knows nothing about the game apart from batting. Its a pity he was India captain captain for so long, i havent, till now, heard him give a single worthwhile strategic perspective of the situation on the field. The other day, when Sreesanth bowled a wide delivery outside off-stump, he went something like " Thats bad bowling like Sreesanth, how can he bowl wide outside off , its acceptable if he bowls wide outside leg" What the hell is that supposed to mean ? His only saving grace is his english is decent, but i swear on my most beloved Gods, I can do better, more interesting commentary than him.
What he was actually saying was there was only a small margin of error in th leg side, so the umps are going to call it a wide easily. but on the off you really need to be wayward to bowl such wides.
LoL' date=' so you guys think that Slater is biased, but Gavaskar is not?[/quote'] Gavaskar isn't my favorite commentator either and I get your point that its easier to spot flaws when the commentator is not supporting your team ! Slater is a bit over the top but the worst one is "mark Nicholas", he is not even an Australian but he doesn’t miss an opportunity to go GA GA over anything that aussies do. In my opinion harsha bhogle is the best commentator on TV and ABC radio commentary team is 1000 times better than Channel 9
Gavaskar isn't my favorite commentator either and I get your point that its easier to spot flaws when the commentator is not supporting your team ! Slater is a bit over the top but the worst one is "mark Nicholas", he is not even an Australian but he doesn’t miss an opportunity to go GA GA over anything that aussies do. In my opinion harsha bhogle is the best commentator on TV and ABC radio commentary team is 1000 times better than Channel 9
IMO I can't split Harsha or Kerry O'keefe. Both excellent. Jim Maxwell is very good as well. I would love to see the entire CH9 team dumped. Unfortunately most of them were given lifetime contracts by Packer, so it looks like were stuck with them.
You are being harsh Marris. He has said a few silly things lately but that doesn't mean we should rubbish all his accomplishments. From what i have heard and seen he was arguably IND's finest test batsman ever.
No I did not rubbish his accomplishments. All i am saying is his commentary reveals the inherent selfishness of him as a person, lack of any notable understanding of the nuances of the game and a worrying obsession with batting records. Kapil Dev, in one of the books that came out in the mid-80s, delegated an entire chapter to Gavaskar and openly accused him of being selfish and playing for himself. I remember, reading that book nearly a decade ago as a 14-15 year old, and feeling totally shocked. But through the years, as i have listened to hours and hours of Gavaskar's commentary, I have come to realize that Dev's accusations were indeed true.
What he was actually saying was there was only a small margin of error in th leg side' date=' so the umps are going to call it a wide easily. but on the off you really need to be wayward to bowl such wides.[/quote'] Ok, i get what he is saying now, but what about James Hopes dismissal in first Ind-aus match in the series. Ishant bowled him with a beauty that nipped back to hit top of off-stump and Gavasakar keeps whining about the gap between bat and pad.... What does he think ? Are we in the 50s ? Playing test cricket ? This is modern day cricket for God's sake, what does he expect, batsman to play compact bat-close-pad boring batting like he did ?
You could say the same about pretty much most cricketer. The likes of Kapil Dev, Hadlee, Imran, Akram, Lara and even Tendulkar have been selfish at times. If you reckon he know nothing about cricket apart from batting you are either in denial or you don't know him well enough. Don't go by his comments in the media, he does it because he hates the Aussies and the Poms. The amount of sense he makes with regards to cricket you have none parallel to him in India. The likes of Tendulkar, Dravids and the rest still rely on Gavaskar's feedback and suggestions. The first one they approach when things aren't going right is Gavaskar.
You could say the same about pretty much most cricketer. The likes of Kapil Dev' date=' Hadlee, Imran, Akram, Lara and even Tendulkar have been selfish at times. If you reckon he know nothing about cricket apart from batting you are either in denial or you don't know him well enough. Don't go by his comments in the media, he does it because he hates the Aussies and the Poms. The amount of sense he makes with regards to cricket you have none parallel to him in India. The likes of Tendulkar, Dravids and the rest still rely on Gavaskar's feedback and suggestions. The first one they approach when things aren't going right is Gavaskar.[/quote'] Well Ravi, I can only speak from what I see/hear and from my observations, Gavaskar comes across as a selfish, stats-minded, not-so-intelligent individual.
Gavaskar isn't my favorite commentator either and I get your point that its easier to spot flaws when the commentator is not supporting your team ! Slater is a bit over the top but the worst one is "mark Nicholas", he is not even an Australian but he doesn’t miss an opportunity to go GA GA over anything that aussies do. In my opinion harsha bhogle is the best commentator on TV and ABC radio commentary team is 1000 times better than Channel 9
This is the same guy who when a catch was taken by Ishant in the 4th test said, 'Ishant Sharma what a talented cricketer you are'. I don't think he's totally biased.
How annoying are cheer leaders healy and slater. healy really lost it today. When sachin was giving not out said umipres should have given it out based on how strong the aussie appeal was even if he did not hear it:hmmmm2: Benaud replied they would be all out for 11 if that was the case. Slater goes on comm that sachin still there after big snick, it was the thinnest edge ever even if there was one
Did you hear the joke that i think slater made after the Tendulkar appeal, he said something about how the austrailians should try and sack the umpire, like the Indians did. w