Highest average speed in test cricket since 2010

4 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Yes the trundler was averaging around 142-144 k down under,although a little he played there but looked sharp in contrast to his ability....for instance never did I see Ishant clock near 146-150 anywhere else barring Aussie land

No. he had a few over 140, just that. Was mainly in 135s.

8 hours ago, express bowling said:

Australia uses the highest of the 3 speedgun readings. Most other countries use the medium reading.

So many fast-medium pacers cross 150 k while bowling in Australia, as a result of this.

Pacers like Siddle and Ishant have bowled over 150 k in Australia ... and there are so many others.

Ishant has bowled 150K even in India. 

9 hours ago, express bowling said:

Why do you keep quoting Shami's slowest test series in the last 2 years  !  That is not his usual speed in test matches after he increases his speed starting mid-2016.

(   By the way, Shami was quickest in the 3rd test where he bowled upto 91 mph. )

it is just to show that every bowler has his up and down in pace. I am not saying Shami has not been quick, but i am just arguing for Hazlewood being called a trundler that he bowls 132. Everyone bowls 130-135 once in a while in test when starting his spell or at the end of the day, but Hazlewood isnt a 132K bowlers.  He easily hits 140s in every spell.  he just varies like Dale Steyn. Even Dale Steyn bowls 130-133K spell at times when he is trying to swing the ball.  A bowler who tries to bowl at his quickest all the time will now last long like Akhtar and Bond.  The secret of longevity is to know when to change gears. Likes of Akram and Steyn did it to perfection in their careers.

2 hours ago, Vilander said:

its obvious, for folks who watch the speed gun.  Could appear convenient for others.

When you watched speed guns, did you see English bowlers hitting 120s and 130s only? They struggled to hit 140s, how did that happen?

Guess they would be averaging 110 in other countries. But somehow that doesn't happen either.

Obviously this isn't that obvious.

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Ishant has bowled 150K even in India. 

He easily hits 145+ anywhere. But since he has done same in Aus, so readings are inflated and hence higher speed of Hazelwood. 

Some weird logic, unless there is some official confirmation about this.

5 hours ago, rkt.india said:

it is just to show that every bowler has his up and down in pace. I am not saying Shami has not been quick, but i am just arguing for Hazlewood being called a trundler that he bowls 132. Everyone bowls 130-135 once in a while in test when starting his spell or at the end of the day, but Hazlewood isnt a 132K bowlers.  He easily hits 140s in every spell.  he just varies like Dale Steyn. Even Dale Steyn bowls 130-133K spell at times when he is trying to swing the ball.  A bowler who tries to bowl at his quickest all the time will now last long like Akhtar and Bond.  The secret of longevity is to know when to change gears. Likes of Akram and Steyn did it to perfection in their careers.

My impression regarding Hazlewood is that he is bowling quicker in the last 15 months or so. The commentators were saying ths same during the last Ashes.  When this increase in speed happens, some pacers hang on to it for long and others don't.  Which path Hazlewood would take, only time will tell. His bowling style is such, he may not always bowl quick.

While it is true that most pacers bowl some slower spells within a test match ... where Hazlewood differs from other fast bowlers like Steyn is that ... he often bowls entire innings or even a full test match without bowling a quick spell.  And in the next test he may bowl a quick spell. It has more to do with the bowling style he has adopted.

Edited by express bowling
10 minutes ago, express bowling said:

My impression regarding Hazelwood is that he is bowling quicker in the last 15 months or so. The commentators were saying ths same during the last Ashes.  When this increase in speed happens, some pacers hang on to it for long and others don't.  Which path Hazelwood would take, only time will tell. His bowling style is such, he may not always bowl quick.

While it is true that most pacers bowl some slower spells within a test match ... where Hazelwood differs from other fast bowlers like Steyn is that ... he often bowls entire innings or even a full test match without bowling a quick spell.  And in the next test he may bowl a quick spell. It has more to do with the bowling style he has adopted.

But the thing is he could always bowl quick since his teenage years, but he selectively chose to bowl slower than he could because he concentrated on McGrath type line and length, but i believe he understood that it is imperative for him to be quicker to be successful everywhere.

1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

But the thing is he could always bowl quick since his teenage years, but he selectively chose to bowl slower than he could because he concentrated on McGrath type line and length, but i believe he understood that it is imperative for him to be quicker to be successful everywhere.

We are discussing what speeds  Hazelwood has actually bowled in his test career.  And he has bowled more 130 k to 140 k spells than other recognized fast bowlers.

Yes, he has the ability to bowl quicker, but he has implemented it in international cricket only in the last 15 months or so.

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

We are discussing what speeds  Hazelwood has actually bowled in his test career.  And he has bowled more 130 k to 140 k spells than other recognized fast bowlers.

Yes, he has the ability to bowl quicker, but he has implemented it in international cricket only in the last 15 months or so.

And same is the case for Shami. As I showed in the image above. Shami's average speed on Aus tour 2014 in first test was 84 mph, much lower than the average speed in the OP.  So, both are in same boat.

On 6/21/2018 at 10:21 PM, Trichromatic said:

1. Avg speed in Ashes - doesn't count

2. Avg speed in India - already posted - doesn't count

Random opinion without any evidence - obvious and universal truth - Hazlewood is BhuvKumar level pace wise.

@Trichromatic,this poster makes me chuckle.......always tries to prove his garbage logic.....got spanked by the numbers , but still will argue to the hilt by posting logics,that sound like a meme....:phehe:

1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

Brett Lee bowled 161KPH in NZ in 2005. Would that have clocked 165KPH in Austalia?

Not necessarily.   It could be that all 3 speedgun readings were in the ballpark same range for that particular delivery.

Speed gun readings may or may not vary significantly for individual deliveries.

It is because of this potential fluctuation that 3 speedguns are used.

Personally, I would have used a simple average of the 3 readings.

P.s -  Brett Lee did bowl a 165 k delivery in Australia ... but it was not recognized, just like Aaron bowled a 161 k delivery in Australia in 2014 but it was not recognized.

Also,  higher speeds are being registered in Australia only in the last 10 years or so. Before that, they probably did not use the highest reading.

2 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Kallis hit 160 in SA.

Barinder Sran hit 149 this IPL in India.

Jason Holder hit 150 in 2016 IPL.

Balaji and Awana hit 148-150 in 2012 IPL.

Heck even Mishraji and Rashid Khan hit 145+ this IPL.

What's the point of your post?

his point is nothing....just being a clown ....as always.

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

And same is the case for Shami. As I showed in the image above. Shami's average speed on Aus tour 2014 in first test was 84 mph, much lower than the average speed in the OP.  So, both are in same boat.

Shami has been bowling out and out fast only from mid-2016, after coming back from his surgery induced break.   Before that, he was generally fast-medium with some fast spells.

But, where a rookie Shami differed from a rookie Hazlewood, just in terms of speed, was that Shami bowled more 140 k to 145 k spells.

Edited by express bowling