Ganguly still hopes for a return to ODIs

Guest HariSampath

Ok...Ganguly is an ALLTIME one day great, and Dravid is the most destructive batsman in ODI history ....happy folks ?? :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Ganguly should not be whining like this. There is no meaning comparing himself with Sachin. He is just giving more fuel for his stupid supporters to stop more trains and do more demonstrations in Kolkata. Stop this idiocy and concentrate on your career. Learn a few things from RD.
True that!

Some really weird analysis in here, just quoting some numbers on either side is hardly a way to judge a batsman. It has to be looked into contextually with the batting line up and team demands. For a very long time, Ganguly was a perfect fit in the Indian batting line up. His presence at the opening slot complemented Tendulkar's aggressive style while he took his time to settle in. The team's run rate used to be brisk and once settled in, Ganguly had the ability to play some huge shots in the middle overs, particularly against spinners, when our middle order was settling in a milking the bowling. A successful batting line up is a jigsaw puzzle where different pieces should fit in for success and Ganguly in ODIs was a pretty crucial piece of the puzzle.

Some really weird analysis in here' date=' just quoting some numbers on either side is hardly a way to judge a batsman. It has to be looked into contextually with the batting line up and team demands. For a very long time, Ganguly was a perfect fit in the Indian batting line up. His presence at the opening slot complemented Tendulkar's aggressive style while he took his time to settle in. The team's run rate used to be brisk and once settled in, Ganguly had the ability to play some huge shots in the middle overs, particularly against spinners, when our middle order was settling in a milking the bowling. A successful batting line up is a jigsaw puzzle where different pieces should fit in for success and Ganguly in ODIs was a pretty crucial piece of the puzzle.[/quote'] Yes. I completely agree. But I dont think he is needed in the team any more.
Guest HariSampath

Anyone please answer this question : How many Indian batsmen in 2007 had been openly criticised for selfish batting, not in team interests, refusal to follow team management's instructions despite repeatedly told, choking the pace of an inngs, captains complaining to selectors, fellow team members not wanting to play along with, dubbed as the worst runner between wkts, dubbed as a poor fielder, news stories about deliberate slow batting at cost of team etc etc.....only one Saurav Ganguly.

I wanted to play one-dayers till September - Ganguly Cricinfo staff February 16, 2008 Dropped for the ongoing CB Series in Australia, Indian batsman Sourav Ganguly has revealed that he had planned to continue playing one-dayers for another seven to eight months before taking a call on his future. He also considered the fact that he didn't see himself realistically continuing till the 2011 World Cup. "They (the selectors) just asked me whether I wanted to continue one-day cricket," Ganguly told Times Now, an Indian news channel. "I said, 'yes definitely, at least for the next 7-8 months.' "So I wanted to play till September, then probably take a call because at some stage you would not have gone on to play the 2011 World Cup. "There is not much of one-day cricket this year. There is the Australia series, then India go to Sri Lanka for Tests and one-dayers. So there are five one-dayers there and then the Champions Trophy in September and rest of the year is full of Test cricket. Ganguly and another former captain Rahul Dravid were omitted for the one-dayers in Australia after the national selectors opted for the core of India's ICC World Twenty20 winning squad, with several players lacking in experience at the international level. Since his return to the one-day squad in early 2007, Ganguly has scored 1240 runs in 32 matches at an average of 44.28, and he celebrated his return with the Man-of-the-Series prize in the one-day series against Sri Lanka before the World Cup. However, his performances in the last ten matches saw the average dipping to 25.66. The team management in Australia had reasoned that Ganguly was overlooked for the sake of blooding youth, with the added emphasis on fielding abilities. "I was a bit surprised because I didn't expect it," he said. "But, all I can say for sure is that it is not on the basis of form." http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/337449.html