Performances of Batsmen

On 11/30/2022 at 12:30 AM, express bowling said:

A completely different kind of knock from.the last one by Washington Sundar 

51 runs with his team at 120 odd for 5 snd the ball nipping around.

This is the kind of batter we need and he can easily bat in the top 6.

should bat in top 5 in ODIs and tests; perhaps even open or come in at 3 given his vast game range

A big congrats to young Shubhman Gill for his first Test Century !

Hopefully this is the first of many to come.

Gill scores 110 off just 152 balls at a SR of 73

We need more such test batters who can put the pressure back on the opposition ... like he did in the Gabba test with his counterattacking 91.

Edited by express bowling
On 12/16/2022 at 4:04 AM, express bowling said:

A big congrats to young Shubhman Gill for his first Test Century !

Hopefully this is the first of many to come.

Gill scores 110 off just 152 balls at a SR of 73

We need more such test batters who can put the pressure back on the opposition ... like he did in the Gabba test with his counterattacking 91.

he went off the boil after that. we should remember this 100 came with a 250+ run cushion and against a 3-bowler minnow attack.

gill undoubtedly has a lot of talent, but has flattered to deceive in tests... this is disappointing, and will hopefully change. otherwise, he will be setting a bad example for jaiswal and dhull.

my worry is that gill is picking up all the wrong messages from non-performing seniors like Kela and co

On 12/18/2022 at 5:31 AM, Vijy said:

he went off the boil after that. we should remember this 100 came with a 250+ run cushion and against a 3-bowler minnow attack.

gill undoubtedly has a lot of talent, but has flattered to deceive in tests... this is disappointing, and will hopefully change. otherwise, he will be setting a bad example for jaiswal and dhull.

my worry is that gill is picking up all the wrong messages from non-performing seniors like Kela and co

The importance of this 100 is the removal of a mental block in test cricket and not just the runs or the bowling quality.

Many top cricketers of the past changed gears completely after their first 100 or 200. 

7 hours ago, sarchasm said:

Gill's prodigious talent is not in doubt. But there's something about his approach that leaves me cold.

No less than McCullum himself was pissed off with his attitude at KKR.

gill would not be playing bazball. he is learning too much from kela

5 hours ago, express bowling said:

Gill needs to be more consistent in tests.

One century and 3 failures is not the way forward.

He is going the KLR way in tests.  Loads of talent and no consistency. 

he is worse than Kela was when both had played a similar number of tests. I am not in favour of his selection in long formats as I've written a few times. better to have jasiwal and easwaran/dhull/shorey/anyone else instead.

kela had 4 centuries in his first 12 tests and batting avg of >40

Edited by Vijy
2 minutes ago, Vijy said:

he is worse than Kela was when both had played a similar number of tests. I am not in favour of his selection in long formats as I've written a few times. better to have jasiwal and easwaran/dhull/shorey/anyone else instead.

They won't do any better if the attitude of the team does not change. 

Easwaran is unlikely to be international class, like Vihari.

Dhull has major issues with back of a length balls around off stump or just outside.

Things aren't that rosy.

Edited by express bowling
Just now, express bowling said:

They won't do any better if the attitude of the team does not change. 

It's not about team attitude alone, but also their individual attitude. otherwise, how would one explain continued good batting performance of S. Iyer in SC, Pant overall, Sundar overall, etc? I just don't think Gill should be in tests for now.