Performances of Batsmen

1 minute ago, Vijy said:

It's not about team attitude alone, but also their individual attitude. otherwise, how would one explain continued good batting performance of S. Iyer in SC, Pant overall, Sundar overall, etc? I just don't think Gill should be in tests for now.

Opening is not the same as batting at 5 or 6.

Gill will probably do better than Shreyas if he comes at 5 or 6.

I really like Washington but he has not got a consistent run to form any opinion about his consistency.

5 hours ago, express bowling said:

Gill needs to be more consistent in tests.

One century and 3 failures is not the way forward.

He is going the KLR way in tests.  Loads of talent and no consistency.

He is not the 'consistent type'. Also, openers don't average that high.

Edited by Chakdephatte
1 minute ago, express bowling said:

Opening is not the same as batting at 5 or 6.

Gill will probably do better than Shreyas if he comes at 5 or 6.

I really like Washington but he has not got a consistent run to form any opinion about his consistency.

on spin tracks, batting in middle order is arguably as hard or harder. and many of gill's failures are in SC.

tbh, I am quite frustrated with gill - he is going to become kela v2.0

5 hours ago, express bowling said:

Gill needs to be more consistent in tests.

One century and 3 failures is not the way forward.

He is going the KLR way in tests.  Loads of talent and no consistency. 

He either attacks every ball or bats like crawley. Has to find the balance, still feel it's just about time.

Sending him in middle may help him as attacking becomes less risky.

I have been following Gill's career for a long time and he is not playing his natural game after the Australian Tour of 2020-21.

What he did at the Gabba is his natural game. He is a free flowing batter who likes to dominate.

What he is doing now is being unnaturally cautious in test matches and handing over psychological advantage to the bowlers.

This needs to change. 

16 minutes ago, express bowling said:

They won't do any better if the attitude of the team does not change. 

Easwaran is unlikely to be international class, like Vihari.

Dhull has major issues with back of a length balls around off stump or just outside.

Things aren't that rosy.

yes, lack of good openers. shorey was one I liked in terms of temperament, but is too old now.

I have been following Gill's career for a long time and he is not playing his natural game after the Australian Tour of 2020-21.

What he did at the Gabba is his natural game. He is a free flowing batter who likes to dominate.

What he is doing now is being unnaturally cautious in test matches and handing over psychological advantage to the bowlers.

This needs to change. 

yes, he had SR of 70 in ranjis prior to debuting in tests

1 minute ago, Vijy said:

yes, lack of good openers. shorey was one I liked in terms of temperament, but is too old now.

We won't have another Gavaskar or even a Gambhir in this T20 era.

It's better to fill the team with Sehwags and Pants who will maximize the returns from their 50 to 150 ball stay at the crease and put the opposition under psychological pressure. Just keep 1 sheet anchor type at 4.

Tell Gill to play like the Gabba. He may do well 50% of the time instead of the current 25%.

And that approach will work better.

One has to look at Shreyas. Keeps giving chances but keeps surviving because he is attacking the bowlers and the fielding side are a bit flustered and can't concentrate hard enough. 

approach of Iyer, pant, sundar (when he plays) is the best one

14 hours ago, Vijy said:

yes, he had SR of 70 in ranjis prior to debuting in tests

Can't compare domestic attacks to international. Also depends on his position, where dis he use to bat. Difficult to attack Anderson, Cummins upfront.

14 hours ago, express bowling said:

He has the highest strike rate among openers since his debut. I can recall 4-5 early dismissals trying to play T20, two of them against Anderson with new ball in England :facepalm:

In Gabba as well as in last match, he started cautiously and took on bowlers after 50 balls. He isn't Sehwag, shouldn't play like him.

9 hours ago, Chakdephatte said:

Can't compare domestic attacks to international. Also depends on his position, where dis he use to bat. Difficult to attack Anderson, Cummins upfront.

He has the highest strike rate among openers since his debut. I can recall 4-5 early dismissals trying to play T20, two of them against Anderson with new ball in England :facepalm:

In Gabba as well as in last match, he started cautiously and took on bowlers after 50 balls. He isn't Sehwag, shouldn't play like him.

he needs to play positively - defend with certainty and attack the bad balls

27 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Shreyas looked exceptional in his short stay.

Great temperament and handled pace well too.

His dismissal was unfortunate. He pulled the ball fiercely and was unfortunate that it stuck. 

That's not unfortunate, he has no game awareness! He played a similar shot in last test of Eng series last year & threw his wicket way at a crucial stage :whack3:

9 hours ago, R!TTER said:

That's not unfortunate, he has no game awareness! He played a similar shot in last test of Eng series last year & threw his wicket way at a crucial stage :whack3:

Dude he just plain sucks vs bounce. It's well documented. He needs to be kicked out. I am sorry  for being harsh but we are as usual backing wrong players. It's frustrating.