Baila Hits - SL (Surangani)

coffee_rules

aah.. Who can be without knowing Surangani in Southie circles ? Forget college, it was popular even in schools. A song for all ages, that has withstood passing of many decades ! Every school/coll culturals, and you have someone or the other grabbing the mike on stage and singing this song !

Found this info on the web

Well, if there ever was one open source super hit, it was Surangani. Every body just seems to love this song and make his own variation of it. Originally a sinhalese Baila, the song has been dubbed in many languages. I just finished listening to a version that was done by none other than Ilayaraja himself. Lot of Indians are confused about the song, the song sounds, Goan, Manglorean, Tamil… Surangani Surangani Suranganita malu genawaa Surangani Surangani Suranganita malu genawaa Surangani Surangani Surangaita malu genawaa Maalu maalu malu dan genapu malu Suranganita malu genawa Lajja nadde me Pare handanne Vatin pitin bala sitinewa Oya handenewa Oyage as rathu venewa Bala sitina matath handenewa Lajja nadde me Pare handanne Vatin pitin bala sitinewa Oya handenewa Oyage as rathu venewa Bala sitina matath handenewa Surangani Surangani Suranganita malu genawa Malu malu malu Dan genapu malu Suranganita malu genawa Mokada manda me Malu noganne Kenthhiyen wage innewa Epa kiyanawa Genapu hinda baninawa Mage ange malu natanewa Mokada manda me Malu noganne Kenthhiyen wage innewa Epa kiyanawa Genapu hinda baninawa Mage ange malu natanewa Surangani Surangani Suranganita malu genawa Surangani Surangani Suranganita malu genawa Surangani Surangani Surangaita malu genawa Malu malu malu, Dan genapu malu, Suranganita malu genawa Surangani Surangani Surangaita malu genawa Malu malu malu dan genapu malu Suranganita malu genawa Now if some one is kind enough to explain to me what these lines actually mean…

Guest HariSampath

Surangani , one of the alltime greatest hits...yeah, college, picnics, gatherings, lotsa fun, rythmic clapping , pulling legs , sports events...you find Surangani in all these places. I remember surangani was of course the theme song sung in the stands ( D stand particularly) in Chepauk during test matches ODIs. The feeling of dejavu would be experienced when a Kapil or a Sachin or a Srikkanth in full flow at the Chepauk, and then a minor lull in scoring , crowds would start the surangani with a usual lead singer, the clapping would get louder, the lyrics vary by the ball, and then an explosive over..Kapil or Sachin would hit 2-3 sixers/fours and thats it...surangani would get riotous ! boy I am looking forfard to the SAF test in Chennai ! It is a sinhala song , easily adaptable to south Indian languages, particularly Tamil, but I guess it is equally popular in Hindi and other states as well....It is the song equivalent of the Bhangra

Guest HariSampath

The original is of course Sinhala...Baila is from SL, but Surangani had become universal and exists in many languages. The style, rythm, mood etc does indicate a Goan flavor too , of course..