The Official Chennai Super Kings Supporters Thread!!!!

zubinpepsi

Guest HariSampath

Chennai Super kings have announced they are contracting Anirudh Srikkanth and Ashwin in the state / U-22 category and will sign up Abhinav Mukund and Einstein from the Indian U-19 team. Good because Anirudh was the top scorer in the T20 championships won by Tamil Nadu and Ashwin the top wicket taker in Ranji trophy last season in India. Srikkanth may not get a game in the 11 , but I hope he gets at least 1-2 games as he is an exciting striker of the cricket ball and is an opener. He has been dropped from the 11 in state Ranji 4 day matches, but was member of India A one day squad and also in 30 probables for T20 wc. Ashwin is an extremely good offspinner, again may not play a game, but will gain lots from being with Murali in the squad, and can push Bhajji for a place in a season or so. http://www.hindu.com/2008/02/26/stories/2008022656351800.htm

Kepler Wessels to coach Chennai Super Kings Kepler Wessels, the former South Africa's captain, has been named the coach of the IPL's Chennai franchise, Chennai Super Kings. More... Sriram Veera February 27, 2008 47883.jpgKepler Wessels is the new entrant to the IPL © Getty Images Kepler Wessels, the former South African captain, has been named the coach of the IPL's Chennai franchise, the Chennai Super Kings, while the Jaipur team, named the Rajasthan Royals, announced that Shane Warne will be their captain and coach. "We wanted somebody who would keep the focus on cricket, be a good task master, and help us win the tournament," VB Chandrasekhar, who is part of the Chennai management, told Cricinfo. L Sivaramakrishnan, the former India player and currently, a commentator, mooted the idea of roping in Wessels, it is learnt. Sivaramakrishnan and Wessels are part of the commentary team in Bangladesh for the home series against South Africa. Wessels and Warne join a high-profile list of names of IPL coaches, which includes Martin Crowe (Bangalore), John Buchanan (Kolkata) and Tom Moody (Mohali). Robin Singh is the coach of the Hyderabad outfit while Delhi had named Victoria's Greg Shipperd as their coach. Mumbai, and Jaipur are yet to select a coach. Team hunt The Chennai franchise have roped in Aniruddha Srikkanth, R Ashwin and Sudeep Tyagi, the UP fast bowler. Though they have 15 players in the roll and theoretically need just one more but they are looking to sign up six more players as they fear some of the international stars might not be available for the full tournament.

Balaji included in Chennai IPL team Out of the national side for the past three years, pacer Lakshmipathy Balaji has been included as an additional bowler in the Indian Premier League's (IPL) Chennai Super Kings team. More... Balaji included in Chennai IPL team March 18, 2008 16:18 IST Out of the national side for the past three years, pacer Lakshmipathy Balaji has been included as an additional bowler in the Indian Premier League's (IPL) Chennai Super Kings team. Announcing Balaji's inclusion, VB Chandrasekar, a former selector and head of cricketing matters in the Chennai Super Kings, said, "We have pitchforked him in our team as an additional bowler. He has been in action after recovery from injury in the TNCA's first division matches this season." "Balaji has been effective in two spells of 10 overs, though he has not been tried on the trot. He is surely going to be a lethal weapon in our scheme of things in the Twenty 20 IPL matches," he said. He said the whole composition of the team has to be decided this evening and the squad list would be sent to BCCI's IPL Committee first. "This is mandatory. We cannot officialy release the list to the media now.You will have two or three more surprises in our composition. We also have plans to launch the team by month end," he said. Balaji was sidelined after a stress fracture and had last played for India in 2005, during the Indian Oil [Get Quote] Cup in Sri Lanka [images]. He returned to action in the Irani Trophy match and Challenger Trophy matches for India Red at Chennai in 2006. Balaji, with his open-chested action and a wide off the crease line, made his Test debut against New Zealand [images] at Ahmedabad in October 2003. The Chennai-based pacer received accolades for his all round display from none other than Pakistan President, Pervez Musharraf [images] during India's 2004 tour of Pakistan. He bagged 12 wickets in three Tests on that tour. He has claimed 27 and 34 wickets in eight Tests (Av.37.18) and 29 ODIs (Ave.38.58) respectively.

Guest Hiten.

After SRK, meet Super Kings' cheerleaders

Chennai: Shah Rukh Khan for Kolkata, Preity Zinta for Mohali. So how can Chennai's IPL team, the Chennai Super Kings, not have a filmy face? Well, they've now got their share of glamour with actors Vijay and Nayanthara becoming brand ambassadors, and all that glamour makes a lot of business sense. Tamil cinema's youth icon Vijay is now the big filmy brand for the Chennai Super Kings. Actors Vijay and Nayanthara will bring in the glamour quotient to a team which has Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Mathew Hayden and Muthiah Muralitharan. "I have become very interested in cricket because of my son. He watches cricket a lot. I am sure my fans will come out in full support for Chennai Super Kings. I like all the players in the team, but as captain my favourite is Dhoni," says the superstar. It's not just about glamour. Actor Vijay has a huge number of fan clubs with die-hard fans, and that fan following, the Chennai team owners hope, will create Chennai's own 'Barmy Army'. Maybe for the star more than the cricket, but it will still fill the stadiums and generate the revenues. "We are looking at a 'Chennai Super Kings Club' where members can get enrolled. We need to come up with a package," notes TS Raghupathy, Executive Director of India Cements, owners of Chennai Super Kings. "It's bound to happen, because today, cricket is going beyond cricket. It is 'cricketainment' and Vijay and Nayanthara will add to the passion and entertainment," explains former India captain Krishnamachari Srikkanth. Beneath all that hype and filmy cricket, a whole lot of Chennai's local cricketing talent like Tamil Nadu captain S Badrinath will add a local flavour to the team. But as cameras flash at the film stars, it's perhaps time now to wait and see who'll end up playing the real hero on the field.

Out of the national side for the past three years, pacer Lakshmipathy Balaji has been included as an additional bowler in the Indian Premier League's (IPL) Chennai Super Kings team. More... Balaji included in Chennai IPL team March 18, 2008 16:18 IST Out of the national side for the past three years, pacer Lakshmipathy Balaji has been included as an additional bowler in the Indian Premier League's (IPL) Chennai Super Kings team. Announcing Balaji's inclusion, VB Chandrasekar, a former selector and head of cricketing matters in the Chennai Super Kings, said, "We have pitchforked him in our team as an additional bowler. He has been in action after recovery from injury in the TNCA's first division matches this season." "Balaji has been effective in two spells of 10 overs, though he has not been tried on the trot. He is surely going to be a lethal weapon in our scheme of things in the Twenty 20 IPL matches," he said. He said the whole composition of the team has to be decided this evening and the squad list would be sent to BCCI's IPL Committee first. "This is mandatory. We cannot officialy release the list to the media now.You will have two or three more surprises in our composition. We also have plans to launch the team by month end," he said. Balaji was sidelined after a stress fracture and had last played for India in 2005, during the Indian Oil [Get Quote] Cup in Sri Lanka [images]. He returned to action in the Irani Trophy match and Challenger Trophy matches for India Red at Chennai in 2006. Balaji, with his open-chested action and a wide off the crease line, made his Test debut against New Zealand [images] at Ahmedabad in October 2003. The Chennai-based pacer received accolades for his all round display from none other than Pakistan President, Pervez Musharraf [images] during India's 2004 tour of Pakistan. He bagged 12 wickets in three Tests on that tour. He has claimed 27 and 34 wickets in eight Tests (Av.37.18) and 29 ODIs (Ave.38.58) respectively.
BALA!!:yay:

Banglore is at loss...for the Star Value...only Deepika is from B'lore... but B'lore is very high on "Class" and "Status" value.. all high society MILF will come to watch B'lore matches...Shobha De...types..:D and FLying Models will do the extra job of cheer leaders...Give me an indian cheer leader any day instead of some foreigners.. artificial Glamour can be created by Mallaya..but i am not sure if B;lore can create die-hard hardcore fans..like bengalis..or like Chennai..

Guest Hiten.
Mumbai has the stars, but doesnt need them. :cool: We have GOD.
Aren't all the 'bollywood' actors and actress from Mumbai :cool: (as in secondary home) :cool:

Overall, I am disappointed with team naming in IPL. They lack originality. I mean "Kolkata Knight Riders", "Chennai Super Kings" & "Mumbai Indians" !! What the heck ! And Bangalore Royal Challengers ! Is it necessary to promote liquor brand in team name ? To be frank, ICL team names are much better.

Parthiv wants to get back to Indian team via IPL Parthiv made his debut for India in 2002 at Trent Bridge against England. He went on to play 19 Tests and 14 ODIs, but failed to retain his spot in the team. More... Parthiv wants to get back to Indian team via IPL 12 Apr 2008, 1216 hrs IST,IANS CHENNAI, April 12: Parthiv Patel, aiming to stage a comeback into the Indian cricket team, underlined his determination by getting straight to work for Chennai Super Kings on arrival at Chennai to prepare for the Indian Premier League starting on April 18. "Of course, it is great to get such an opportunity as I am sure there will be a lot of people watching your performance. I hope to do well in this tournament (Indian Premier League)," said Parthiv as he wiped the perspiration off his forehead. Parthiv, who turned 23 last month, is also aware of the fact that he needs to work that much harder now than at any time in the past to regain his spot in the Indian team. The Ahmedabad-based player made his debut for India in 2002 at Trent Bridge against England as a late replacement for an injured Ajay Ratra to become the youngest wicketkeeper ever in Test history. He went on to play 19 Tests and 14 ODIs, but failed to retain his spot and it was not long before he was omitted from the Indian team. The arrival of Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Dinesh Karthik further affected Parthiv's chances of staging a comeback. Looking back, Parthiv said, "It is always tough when you get dropped from the Indian team. However, I took this in my stride and worked harder on my technique, both batting and wicket-keeping besides my overall fitness. Hopefully, I will get an opportunity to get back into the Indian team." On the hard work he did in the past four years, Parthiv said, "Basically, it was my concentration that I need to work on and also on my overall fitness." He admitted that the two years with the national team was but a "learning curve" for him. In his debut Test, Parthiv kept wickets for 145 overs as England made 617 in their first innings replying to India's 357. Parthiv failed with the bat, lasting all of 10 deliveries before getting out for a duck. However, in the second essay, the teenager came up with a rearguard action in making an unbeaten 19 that helped India to force a draw. "When I look back, I feel it was a matter of keeping your concentration over a long period of time that matters most in wicket-keeping. And to do that, fitness is the key. Like I said, I have since put in a lot of effort to improve in these areas," he stated. Parthiv did well in 2007, when he scored five consecutive centuries, including against South Africa "A" team and in the Irani Trophy.

Hussey and Raina Awesome batting, smart chip shots, massive sixes and great running between wickets. Raina has improved his batting heaps and what better than having a chance to play with Hussey. IPL's quite good really.

?Looking forward to perform? Bangalore: Stephen Fleming, former New Zealand captain and a key player in the Chennai Super Kings team, has said that the Indian Premier League has been a ?massive shake-up? for the game of cricket. ?It has shaken up ... More... ‘Looking forward to perform’ Bangalore: Stephen Fleming, former New Zealand captain and a key player in the Chennai Super Kings team, has said that the Indian Premier League has been a “massive shake-up” for the game of cricket. “It has shaken up the game and has actually moved cricket forward. Along with the other players, I am also watching this and it would be interesting to know how things pan out in the next twelve months. There is already talk in England of a similar league with a lot of money being bandied around and there is talk of creating a window for the IPL in the schedule,” Fleming said. Fleming also said that the IPL will energise young Indian cricketers. “To watch young Indian cricketers sit around Mathew Hayden and listen to him talk, picking up ideas, was fantastic. The IPL has changed the cricketing culture a bit and even for us overseas players, it’s been a new experience. Of course we always know that Indians are passionate about their cricket but the support we have got here has been effusive and it has never been partisan,” Fleming said. Fleming, who has been warming the benches in the previous IPL matches, is biding his time for an opportunity. “In Hayden and Hussey, we have two great players and obviously it’s tough to fit me in. But they will be leaving to play for Australia and in that lies my opportunity. Looking forward to performing. “M.S. Dhoni and I have been informally sharing ideas (on leadership). The thing I like about Dhoni’s leadership is his ability to read the game and stay ahead. ”

Guest HariSampath

There are rumors no doubt, but it is not going to happen, at least not immediately. CSK think tank dont want any knee jerk reactions to a loss against Rajasthan Royals , as it would undermine the confidence of the Chennai players in the team especially as CSK are still 8 points, and almost assured of a semi final spot at least. The current thinking is that for the next couple of games CSK would give opportunities to youngsters like Vijay or Srikkanth at the top of the order and allow them to have a couple of games before the last leg of the league. In any case the league stage is not even half way through, with Chennai having 8 more games, of which they need to win just 4 to make semi finals. It is possible some names would be considered , in fact I would be happy if someone like Ajanta Mendis were signed up to bolster bowling, as he is almost impossible to pick and all players have to do so on a ball by ball basis in course of his spell ; no single formula for playing him. This itself would ensure that most batting sides would wisely stay away from attempting anything against him and apart from not going for any runs, he would certainly pick wickets as well as create big doubts in the minds of batters .

Guest HariSampath

PP wont play tomorrow. It will probably be Ani Srikkanth or Vijay, most likely Ani