Rohit actually looked “alright”

Cricketics

2 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

yep, you are 100% right on that. Sad how one bad knock on the head can drastically change careers....IIRC before that bouncer from Malcolm, Padams was averaging in the high 60s or low 70s...since that knock, i think he averaged in high 20s or low 30s.

He was a perfect foil to Lara's flamboyance and for a while there i thought they'd be a winning middle order combo, sort of the way Dravid-Tendulkar partnerships went. 

yeah, that's true. Padams, Lara, Chanders would have been a fine middle order if all were in peak form. Two stonewallers sandwiching the most brilliant strokeplayer of his generation. In fact, I always felt 90s (and even early 2000s) WI was lesser than the sum of its parts. Bowling was still amazing in the 90s - Walsh, Amby, Bishop with Dillon as support. Batting should have been better - a middle consisting of 4 out of Richardson, Padams, Lara, Chanders, Hooper. Seems miles ahead of the current lot of Ind bats.

2 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Btw, i am just glad that Rohit is not an all-time great slip catcher like Hooper was and neither does he bowl at a 'nearly Jayasurya level' like Hooper did. Else we'd be permanently stuck with him.  

That is just what I was thinking too. If he bowled a bit (aka sub-Jayasuriya level) and fielded like Hoopy, he would have played more Tests than Kohli by now.

1 minute ago, Vijy said:

yeah, that's true. Padams, Lara, Chanders would have been a fine middle order if all were in peak form. Two stonewallers sandwiching the most brilliant strokeplayer of his generation. In fact, I always felt 90s (and even early 2000s) WI was lesser than the sum of its parts. Bowling was still amazing in the 90s - Walsh, Amby, Bishop with Dillon as support. Batting should have been better - a middle consisting of 4 out of Richardson, Padams, Lara, Chanders, Hooper. Seems miles ahead of the current lot of Ind bats.

quite true. They were the reverse of South Africa, who always came out as better than the sum of its parts, carrying around batsmen like Rhodes or Cronje, who were mid 30s average, no spinner and still winning against everyone not named Australia.