Kagiso Rabada names the best bowling attack in the world

Only 2 tests went 5 days this year in England IIRC, the rest were over in 4 days or less excluding rain. Aus & Ind are graveyards for pacers, but even then on this Aus we've had helpful conditions for pacers. SA produced these pitches mainly for Asian nations, Faf will eventually pay for it because his batting won't outlast opponents consistently on such tracks & they'll get mauled away from home.

3 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

Only 2 tests went 5 days this year in England IIRC, the rest were over in 4 days or less excluding rain. Aus & Ind are graveyards for pacers, but even then on this Aus we've had helpful conditions for pacers. SA produced these pitches mainly for Asian nations, Faf will eventually pay for it because his batting won't outlast opponents consistently on such tracks & they'll get mauled away from home.

As i said, Ausies have atleast 3 bowler in their lineup who think they can get Kohli out. I too think the same. They bowl with confidence to Kohli whonis best bat in world.

Argueably Rabada and Steyn pose the similar level of threat. I think Steyn may think that he can knock Kohli but I feel, he is too old to do that.

Kohli who was a run machine for past 2 series has been relatively neutralised by Aussies. Thats how good trio are

That doesn't prove anything, the same trio or quartet (with Lyon) failed against ABD away, Pujara home & away, Root away & Williamson/Taylor at home. Among them only Cummins is the regular threat on all decks while Lyon relies on scoreboard pressure &/or turn from the pitch.

^ The condition of pitch and factors like Smith Warner not in side do contribute. 

You need to compare the performance vis a vis opponents performance in same match and then relate it to home or away situation.

Also names of bats you have mentioned are current best bats and they are expectef to overcome a bowling attack

Edited by mishra
3 hours ago, Sloane84 said:

No. Aussie commentators think that the quartet of Cummins, Hazelwood, Starc and Lyon comprise the best bowling attack in the world presently.

Big difference from what you posted.

The best ever pace bowling attack of Australia consisted of Dennis Lillee, Jeff Thompson, Len Pascoe and Max Walker. 

this was a really good oz attack in the past. max walker was an excellent support pacer, pascoe is underrated, Lillee was great (except in SC), but Thommo blew hot and cold (because of injuries).

on bowling friendly-pitches, the attack of toshack, lindwall, miller and bill johnston were very good, especially since they had spin bowling back-up from grimmett and o'reilly.

4 minutes ago, Kannadiga said:

With the addition of a newcomer Olivier, I think they have the best fast bowling unit. Take out Bumrah from our attack and there's no lead bowler. Also, they are giving opportunities to young bowlers, so they have a better future than our lot. 

steyn, morkel, philander were the pace trio of the recent past. the new one with rabada, ngidi and oliver seems very good in home conditions. they have managed the transition of bowlers very well, and maharaj is an underrated spinner too. however, SA batting stocks have gone down a lot. No ABDV, Amla and Faf in fading form. they have good openers (Elgar and Ram), but the middle order looks very fragile with people like bruyn, who has an avg of 20-odd, and bavuma.

6 hours ago, R!TTER said:

The attack you're praising didn't even feature in tests in the last 2 years (2016/17) majority of which we played at home! Ishant is a failure at home, Bumrah hasn't played & Jadeja played just his 2nd test overseas last year. Is this the same attack you over hype to the moon? Stop being delusional, you neither have the numbers nor any other set of alternate facts supporting this theory.

It has a lot to do with the pitches - fact!

Yes & the bowling attack which failed to roll over the Opposition tail 10 innings out of 12, or 14, had nothing to do with it!

Sure & I'm saying SA is the best overall, feel free to disagree. You haven't provided anything conclusive to disprove the argument.

Aus really, have you seen their numbers this series or last year? They;re not even in the top 3 :cantstop:

Never,not  any time  I said this is the best attack in the world ,see the post first,it had kept us competitive abroad,yes we struggled to knock the tail,but im also quite open to acknowledge currans ability with the bat,the only test which he didn't feature went in our pocket

Don't put words in my mouth,i wasn't proving it to be the best as i said it before, not one attack is there which is undisputedly best in all conditions

Stop quoting me then & coming up with your own non sequitur, you continue to over hype this attack when they haven't played in India & only played on bowling friendly surfaces abroad. You think becoming the no.1 test bowler at 21 (or 22) is a joke or Dale Steyn even at his age is comparable to any of our in form pacers? If you do then keep your theories to yourself, I've seen SA outperform every other attack home & away, the 2015 series excepted because Steyn got injured & Philander as well & we won all the important tosses, batting first on difficult wickets.

8 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Last two years

SA at home 13 tests 242 wkts@19 , Away 9 Tests 149 wkts@30

India at home 11 Tests 203 wkts@24, Away 15 Tests 254 wkts@26

Eng at home 14 tests 255 wkts@25, Away 10 tests 137 wkts@39

Stats showing a different story!! (Steyn coming in does change things a lot)

This is what I said too  ...  We have the best all condition and all-round bowling attack now.

Yes ...  we have some loopholes to plug like bringing in another strike fast bowler.  We can't be so dependant on only Bumrah as lead bowler material.  This is a major weakness.  And we need to promote more young fast bowlers.

And yes ... SA may have the slightly better bowling attack for tests in Aus or SA.

But we have the best all-condition bowling attack now ... albeit with a major weakness as stated above.

Edited by express bowling
6 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

Stop quoting me then & coming up with your own non sequitur, you continue to over hype this attack when they haven't played in India & only played on bowling friendly surfaces abroad. You think becoming the no.1 test bowler at 21 (or 22) is a joke or Dale Steyn even at his age is comparable to any of our in form pacers? If you do then keep your theories to yourself, I've seen SA outperform every other attack home & away, the 2015 series excepted because Steyn got injured & Philander as well & we won all the important tosses, batting first on difficult wickets. 

You probably didn't watch the SA tour Eng in 2017 then. Rabada, Morkel, Philander - 3 of their top 4 (given Steyn's regular injuries), and Clouderson & co outperformed them. Even when Eng toured SA in 2015/16, Eng won the series - Rabada was the best bowler, but the Eng pacers stepped up at the right times (Broad, Stokes, Finn, etc).

On the whole, I think SA has had the best pace attack of the late 2000s, but to say that they have outperformed every attack home & away is unrealistic. only ATG teams do that - maybe WI of the 80s and Aus of the early 2000s at their peak.

Rabada's first tour, Morkel was good & Philander played only 2 tests that series IIRC. England also had drier surfaces that series, maybe you don't remember that, nor the absence of AB?  Ali picked up a 10fer, how many times does that happen on a green top? SA would've been more competitive had they posted better totals, also man to man Steyn> Shami then Rabada>Bumrah & Philander>Ishant.

Edited by R!TTER

You dont tell me what to do,carry with your own anoesia,you are perhaps mentally differently abled or blind by nature,you play with your own mind answer your own questions,thats what you are ,did i ever say we have the best attack now or any time before,if yes continue with what you are doing for a while

If not, go in front of a mirror answer as much as you can to your own hypothetical questions and thats not something i prescribe you or tell you ,take it as an advice 

2 hours ago, Kannadiga said:

With the addition of a newcomer Olivier, I think they have the best fast bowling unit.

Olivier seems to be too dependant on the short ball.  This may not work outside SA and Australia or against teams that play the short ball better than Pakistan.  He did not look that impressive in England.

2 hours ago, Kannadiga said:

Take out Bumrah from our attack and there's no lead bowler. Also, they are giving opportunities to young bowlers, so they have a better future than our lot. 

Two very valid points.

1 minute ago, R!TTER said:

Rabada's first tour, Morkel was good & Philander played only 2 tests that series IIRC. England also had drier surfaces that series,maybe you don't remember that, nor the absence of AB?   Ali picked up a 10fer, how many times does that happen on a green top?

we are discussing bowling attacks, not about which batsmen were missing - one can always say that someone was missing or out-of-form for eng as well. one can only take the wkts of the team that one is playing. besides, if drier pitches are an excuse, then it's clearly not an all-conditions attack. cloudy took enough wkts even given the drier pitches. the fact is that the SA team of the 2010s is not on the same footing as WI/Aus in terms of bowling dominance. to claim that they outperformed everyone everywhere is incorrect. at least, this is my opinion and you are entitled to yours.

10 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

You dont tell me what to do,carry with your own anoesia,you are perhaps mentally differently abled or blind by nature,you play with your own mind answer your own questions,thats what you are ,did i ever say we have the best attack now or any time before,if yes continue with what you are doing for a while

If not, go in front of a mirror answer as much as you can to your own hypothetical questions and thats not something i prescribe you or tell you ,take it as an advice 

And you are an ADD twat that's what you are. Deranged lunatic who runs away when confronted with arguments he can't handle. Terming this attack best in the world when they haven't even played in India together, carry on with your delusions chump, now where's that ignore button :--D

Edited by R!TTER
11 minutes ago, Vijy said:

we are discussing bowling attacks, not about which batsmen were missing - one can always say that someone was missing or out-of-form for eng as well. one can only take the wkts of the team that one is playing. besides, if drier pitches are an excuse, then it's clearly not an all-conditions attack. cloudy took enough wkts even given the drier pitches. the fact is that the SA team of the 2010s is not on the same footing as WI/Aus in terms of bowling dominance. to claim that they outperformed everyone everywhere is incorrect. at least, this is my opinion and you are entitled to yours.

It does upset the team balance & performance, imagine India without Kohli. How would we do abroad? The same goes for bowlers, we didn't have BK for the entire tour & Bumrah only played after 2 tests, it totally undid the balance we'd hoped for.

Yes but where did I say that? And speaking of dominance there's WI & then there's the rest. Even Aus at their peak don't come close the 4 man attack WI fielded. They did it's a fact, unbeaten away from home till 2015, that was almost a decade if not more. A record which even Aus didn't have, albeit Aus home dominance was much greater.

Edited by R!TTER
4 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

Yes but where did I say that? And speaking of dominance there's WI & then there's the rest. Even Aus at their peak don't come close the 4 man attack WI fielded. They did it's a fact, unbeaten away from home till 2015, that was almost a decade if not more. A record which even Aus didn't have, albeit Aus home dominance was much greater. 

Yes, I agree. maybe it got taken out of context, but I think I had commented on an earlier post about "I've seen SA outperform every other attack home & away". I agree with what you said regd WI, Oz, of course. And yes, SA was arguably the best team for a fairly long period in this century. Would have loved to see the SA team of the 70s and 80s though - some amazing players. van der bilj, peter pollock, mike procter, etc. all lost.

14 minutes ago, R!TTER said:

And you are an ADD twat that's what you are. Deranged lunatic who runs away when confronted with arguments he can't handle. Terming this attack best in the world when they haven't even played in India together, carry on with your delusions chump, now where's that ignore button :--D

Stop abusing you nut head arsehole who continuously spreads shite all around here,keep on the buttons on your face you moron,sink your deep in the sand fir you fail to read even a text ,face a mirror,i bet it will make your day,ape

Just now, Kannadiga said:

Bavuma is a quality bat though. He is similar to Maharaj, as fans are yet to recognise their talent.  

he is good, but has underachieved IMO, unlike maharaj who has achieved (or even overachieved) his potential.