Pravin Amre - Another lost talent in the 90s

Real McCoy

59 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

He was a prodigy. IIRC when he was picked for India in 1991, his FC average was 85-86 and was playing for Rajasthan! Was with the team for over a year before making his test debut but did not get backed enough.

Great to see him contribute as a coach now.

I remember his debut game(I think) in the SA return to international cricket series. He took a very good catch iirc

Edited by maniac
3 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Nobody is connecting his coaching abilities to his career as a barsman. I'm just wondering how he got dropped after he got a successful start. He may or may not have been successful but I feel he was dropped soon. And India didn't have batting talent coming through the ranks in the early 90s.

The point I am making is although he seemed to have potential it doesn't mean he would surely have been good if given more chances. Take for example Rahane. He looked million dollar when started but he isn't really taking off from there now. Early indications aren't always true reflection of a player. From reaction over here it seems like he was an AtG in making who suffered due to some conspiracy.

7 hours ago, Pollack said:

The point I am making is although he seemed to have potential it doesn't mean he would surely have been good if given more chances. Take for example Rahane. He looked million dollar when started but he isn't really taking off from there now. Early indications aren't always true reflection of a player. From reaction over here it seems like he was an AtG in making who suffered due to some conspiracy.

He should have given more chances than Manju and Shastri thats all I'm saying. Not suggesting he was an ATG. He did not get enough chances due to regional selection in Ranji. I'm pretty sure you didnt read any of the articles I posted.

Looking at the numbers he had a very poor ODI record. I don't think he could justify being dropped after a run like this

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/26238.html?class=2;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

Regarding Tests he seems to have been hard done by. After His debut 100 he had a poor tour of SA in other tests. He did well in home tests vs. Eng and Zim which we really dominated and someone like Kambli really shined. Then he got dropped after one average tour in SL (he did not get much chance actually batting at 6 and where again Kambli was the star)

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/26238.html?class=1;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

Edited by CoverDrive
33 minutes ago, youngindia said:

Another  90's player with mythical powers!

he was of good FC quality but not good international quality.

he got a fair deal.

How do you know? You must have supernatural vision to make that judgement. Kudos you are smart. Maybe too smart like Ashwin :winky:

33 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

How do you know? You must have supernatural vision to make that judgement. Kudos you are smart. Maybe too smart like Ashwin :winky:

desist from anything personal !. you don't have to worry about my powers or anyone else..you can cross check the contents/evidence  if interested ....or  skip.

Its all about how i  rate certain players...

The team management does the same thing... they rate certain players and give lots of chances. they rate certain players less and more strict on them. some of them  are outright rejects.

i ask the simple question

do they bring something of a high standard to the table that the 98% of the other players n the talent pool can't?

how did i reject Amre, Mongia, Sriram, Stuart binny and vinay kumar? their games didn't look top 2% material  to me. I didnt have confidence in their ability to succeed internationally.. its that simple...

no supernatural ability required...but not at all  easy and cannot be done competently by anyone.

58 minutes ago, youngindia said:

do they bring something of a high standard to the table that the 98% of the other players n the talent pool can't?

how did i reject Amre, Mongia, Sriram, Stuart binny and vinay kumar? their games didn't look top 2% material  to me. I didnt have confidence in their ability to succeed internationally.. its that simple...

Do you mean Shastri, Manju, Dodda Ganesh, Noel David brought something that other people cannot produce :phehe:. How many of these cricketers produced a century on debut or a five wicket haul

50 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Do you mean Shastri, Manju, Dodda Ganesh, Noel David brought something that other people cannot produce :phehe:. How many of these cricketers produced a century on debut or a five wicket haul

successful players  have to be top 2% relative to their contemporary talent pool and have to be useful to the international team in a role.

shastri was the no 2 allrounder in the country for that time and was reasonable at international level  as batting allrounder..that;s the reason he played for a long time. 

Manjrekar found a place as a  middle order batsman and looked long term  at the time of 1993. his career took a dip afterwards but he was settled at one point in time.

he lasted as long he was in the top 2% but around 1996, better replacements were available.

and why dodda ganesh and david are even mentioned at all?  neither lasted long and i never said they were long term players. 

Edited by youngindia
edr
13 hours ago, CoverDrive said:

Looking at the numbers he had a very poor ODI record. I don't think he could justify being dropped after a run like this

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/26238.html?class=2;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

Regarding Tests he seems to have been hard done by. After His debut 100 he had a poor tour of SA in other tests. He did well in home tests vs. Eng and Zim which we really dominated and someone like Kambli really shined. Then he got dropped after one average tour in SL (he did not get much chance actually batting at 6 and where again Kambli was the star)

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/26238.html?class=1;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

amre was not an ODI player. selectors screwed up by mixing players across formats (just as they do now, although less often hopefully). ajay sharma was one more - he had a god-like ranji record, did decently in the 1 test, and was discarded. in contrast, he played a lot of ODIs despite his batting not being suited to that format.